Soon To Be New Tarantula Owner

louise f

Arachnoangel
takes the prey very gently from the tongs. Not like the tarantulas at all and not at risk of being injured. He's a gentle little scorp.
Scorpions are really nothing like T`s when it comes to feeding. :DThey react really slow compared to T`s. So i wouldn`t worry about tong feeding scorps either :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you are blowing this out of proportion.
My Ts safety and health can never be blown out of proportion, hence why I don't tong feed. I can see however why you would Avics, you are still learning. It's so much more fun and safe to watch them hunt.

Even if you were not a new owner, but an owner of Ts who has owned for decades like myself, and never had an issue, I'd say you were just getting lucky.

Do what works for you,they are your Ts, not mine.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Please post those pics @EulersK it would be useful for the OP to see as he is new to owning Ts. It would be good for any T owner to see as well, especially the new people who are here lately.

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Please post those pics @EulersK it would be useful for the OP to see as he is new to owning Ts. It would be good for any T owner to see as well, especially the new people who are here lately.
I own two tarantulas with broken fangs from this behavior from their previous owner. I will when I get home, happily.

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
One Pic does mean something for the simple fact that it can happen, Ya maybe its not a common occurrence but it can happen. Therefore that style of feeding should be treated as such because well it may work for you new keepers should know that it can be a consequence if they're not careful.

Well I understand that your having fun with the jokes this thread was created so that a new keeper coming into the hobby could learn some valuable information to help him through his trials. But instead you seem to be more interested in implying that people are delusional because they disagree with you on husbandry.This thread could have been done and dusted a while ago if your reaction to someone disagreeing with you was simply to say that "Well I see where you are coming from I've done Blank for Blank and have had no issues and it is important for the OP to know he has options"

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Well I now have five T's in enclosures. All of them seem to be healthy. The size difference between a 1/4" spider and 1/2" spider seems huge. And 1/2" is nothing. I almost thought I got an empty container on a Euathlus sp. red container. But it was hiding down inside the folds of the paper.

I don't have my enclosures from Jamie or my big Avic yet. All of these spiders went into either microwave cups or Deli cups. The microwave cups are hell to alter. I busted one of the lids trying to punch holes because the plastic was so tough. I have multiple soldering irons and even the really small tips seemed to make too big of a hole for a 1/4" spider. If I just tapped the cup or lid it made a small indention, but not a hole. I don't know what hole size is needed for an escape but I was too paranoid to accept the bigger holes. The deli cups are much more friendly. I can punch a hole in them with a small nail and vice grip.

But I am worried that my cups are too big for the spiders. Is a 16 ounce cup too big for a 1/4" spider? It certainly exceeds the rules in the outdated handbook I read.

I don't think we need to argue on the tong subject any more in this thread. I have never planned to use tongs for feeding. I like the hunt method. I like the idea of getting some kitchen style silicone coated tongs or chop sticks, but want that for cleaning the cage and dropping the feeders into the enclosure. Unless you bare hand it you still need tongs to handle the food.

Thanks for all of the help getting me started. I think it gets even more fun going forward.

cold blood

Staff member
Well I now have five T's in enclosures. All of them seem to be healthy. The size difference between a 1/4" spider and 1/2" spider seems huge. And 1/2" is nothing. I almost thought I got an empty container on a Euathlus sp. red container. But it was hiding down inside the folds of the paper.

I don't have my enclosures from Jamie or my big Avic yet. All of these spiders went into either microwave cups or Deli cups. The microwave cups are hell to alter. I busted one of the lids trying to punch holes because the plastic was so tough. I have multiple soldering irons and even the really small tips seemed to make too big of a hole for a 1/4" spider. If I just tapped the cup or lid it made a small indention, but not a hole. I don't know what hole size is needed for an escape but I was too paranoid to accept the bigger holes. The deli cups are much more friendly. I can punch a hole in them with a small nail and vice grip.

But I am worried that my cups are too big for the spiders. Is a 16 ounce cup too big for a 1/4" spider? It certainly exceeds the rules in the outdated handbook I read.

I don't think we need to argue on the tong subject any more in this thread. I have never planned to use tongs for feeding. I like the hunt method. I like the idea of getting some kitchen style silicone coated tongs or chop sticks, but want that for cleaning the cage and dropping the feeders into the enclosure. Unless you bare hand it you still need tongs to handle the food.

Thanks for all of the help getting me started. I think it gets even more fun going forward.
Deli cups are IMO far superior to the ones you bought and are waiting for...I've ventilated the micro stuff you are talking about, talk about a chore...not worth the effort, I store extra water dishes in them now.

16 oz deli cups are great once your terrestrial reaches close to an inch, prior to that I keep them in small condiment cups, like you'd put ketchup in. Less room makes their ability to locate prey (I feed smaller slings pre-killed prey, just because its easier for both me and the sling). Here is a pic.

Arboreals on the other hand, will do better in the 16oz deli right from the start, more room is a benefit to them. Once they get to an inch, inch and a half, they can go into 32oz deli cups till they're about 3".

Attachments

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

There's a rule book for tarantulas? Do they hand out fines?

Most tarantula books are outdated, as the hobby's changing so fast: new species, new husbandry info, new taxonomy. Some authors have little experience with most species, and usually not with all the new introductions happening every year. 16 oz deli cup works for a tiny spider, but you need pin hole size airholes, in the upper sides, a couple rings of them. When slings are that small, I lay some moist long fiber sphagnum on the substrate for them to nest in and drink from, and mist it before it dries. Once they're 1/2" they get a small plastic water bowl (lid from a 16 oz water bottle). They won't drown at that size.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Yes, those Euathlus are about as tiny as they come. I have two that came to me at 1/4".
Everywhere I have tarantulas - I have a pair of reading glasses. I use my camera to be able to see them really close up in detail. I haven't got a hope otherwise.
Here is a photo of my spiderling enclosures. The Euathlus are still in the vial they came to me in - that is one of them on the far left. I put an 8" ruler up if it helps to show size. I just put ballpark measurements. They are not exact - just an approximate.
I use a thumb tack to poke tiny holes for the tiny spiders.
_DSC7779-2.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, those Euathlus are about as tiny as they come. I have two that came to me at 1/4".
Everywhere I have tarantulas - I have a pair of reading glasses. I use my camera to be able to see them really close up in detail. I haven't got a hope otherwise.
Here is a photo of my spiderling enclosures. The Euathlus are still in the vial they came to me in - that is one of them on the far left. I put an 8" ruler up if it helps to show size. I just put ballpark measurements. They are not exact - just an approximate.
I use a thumb tack to poke tiny holes for the tiny spiders.
View attachment 217025
I like how the substrate match with the table, I'm lost for those kind of details :pompous:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I don't want to give the impression that I don't love my two B. smithi, because I do, I just had to adjust the way I do things because they delight in hair kicking so much. They are really lovely tempered overall, and they are very beautiful, and I am pleased to have them in my collection. They are really very calm individuals, other than the hair kicking, and don't give me too much trouble. I have taken to using my gloves, and closing the lid to the enclosure as soon as they go on their kicking binge, so things are good with us.
It was just a new challenge for me to have these two because I have had very few kick hair at me over the years. At best, they would give a half-hearted kick during a rehouse and that was it - never during regular feeding and maintenance. I really wasn't prepared for the reaction I would have to their hair. I just made certain adjustments in the way I do things and everything is working out just fine.
:)
View attachment 216991
I love the look of those T's. I appreciate the comments of you and darkness975 regarding the Brachypelma T's. And it was never my intent to insult them. This is really more about my weakness as a beginner. I only meant to only buy one tarantula - lol. But then I couldn't find what I wanted in the right size and suddenly found myself with six (once my bigger Avic arrives). So I am concerned about getting too many too quick. But I still may find myself wanting to go get that Brach simply because I still don't have a large size T.

Deli cups are IMO far superior to the ones you bought and are waiting for...I've ventilated the micro stuff you are talking about, talk about a chore...not worth the effort, I store extra water dishes in them now.

16 oz deli cups are great once your terrestrial reaches close to an inch, prior to that I keep them in small condiment cups, like you'd put ketchup in. Less room makes their ability to locate prey (I feed smaller slings pre-killed prey, just because its easier for both me and the sling). Here is a pic.

Arboreals on the other hand, will do better in the 16oz deli right from the start, more room is a benefit to them. Once they get to an inch, inch and a half, they can go into 32oz deli cups till they're about 3".
Thanks for that info. Can I get into trouble moving them again too quickly? I suppose I need to fix this tomorrow before they get settled in this over-sized cup.

There's a rule book for tarantulas? Do they hand out fines?

Most tarantula books are outdated, as the hobby's changing so fast: new species, new husbandry info, new taxonomy. Some authors have little experience with most species, and usually not with all the new introductions happening every year. 16 oz deli cup works for a tiny spider, but you need pin hole size airholes, in the upper sides, a couple rings of them. When slings are that small, I lay some moist long fiber sphagnum on the substrate for them to nest in and drink from, and mist it before it dries. Once they're 1/2" they get a small plastic water bowl (lid from a 16 oz water bottle). They won't drown at that size.
lol. I started with the data sheets. I then saw some old posts about this book and read most of it. I then found out the rules are changed.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I didn't think that you were insulting them... not at all! The truth is - every collection needs, at least, one of them. They are extremely hardy, even the males are long lived, are gorgeous looking, and an all round fabulous tarantula. Some people are lucky that they have individuals who are not as quick to kick hairs... it's just that I wasn't one of the lucky ones. They are known to flick hairs more than a lot of others, but it really boils down to the individual.
If it were me, I wouldn't have been able to pass up on that juvenile. They are not easy to come by in my neck of the woods. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Can I get into trouble moving them again too quickly?

It's in the tarantula rule book. A team us of with clipboards and white lab coats visit members houses looking for this kind of thing. You'll get off with a warning for the first infraction, after that, it's a suspension & fine for each rehouse that's done too soon. We'd like to be more lenient, but rules are rules.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
It's in the tarantula rule book. A team us of with clipboards and white lab coats visit members houses looking for this kind of thing. You'll get off with a warning for the first infraction, after that, it's a suspension & fine for each rehouse that's done too soon. We'd like to be more lenient, but rules are rules.
So you DO have a sense of humor! Sometime's its hard to tell with you. ;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I agree. It is a beautiful T. It would be great to have a much larger spider. But right now I am a little scared with multiple T's arriving today as my first ones. I don't want to overwhelm myself. If it is still there after I get these stable, I might backtrack and consider it. I suppose I can always wear gloves when changing water bowl and cleaning up feeder remains.

It would be good to read more user experiences with the Brach's as well so that I don't create an environment that makes it prone to get defensive.
Use tongs for tank maintenance. You should be doing that anyway.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Thanks to all for the advice and ideas.
I ordered some feeders along with the Tarantulas so I am in no hurry to find any immediate source. I found a supplier in Augusta, Georgia (Ghann's Crickets) that has feeders in multiple sizes, but I have to buy 250 crickets on each purchase. I will need to expand my Tarantula collect fast to go through that many. Lots of Internet sites seem to carry a variety of roaches and worms.

How does everyone pick up small crickets (1/8")? I bought some large diameter straws to capture some but that requires some cooperation of the cricket to craw up into the straw. I am not sure how well it will work.
Hi Jeff. :) I know, I'm a little late to the party but congrats on your new 8 legged friends and welcome to the hobby. :)
as far as ordering feeders goes, 250 crickets is really a LOT more then you need, as you said. Have you considered a small dubia colony? The babies are great for small juveniles and the adults are good for bigger juveniles and adults, so a dubia colony could potentially serve your feeder needs entirely with not much more then the initial cost of the starter colony, a tub to keep them in, some cat or dog food and some fresh fruit and vegetables every few days. I usually just give my colony my leftovers. For instance, I'm eating an apple right now, the core will go in the colony bin and will pull whatever's left of it in the morning back out. For the little bitty babies, a mealworm cut in half will happily feed two of them.

Did you mean you were going to capture wild crickets in the straw? Feeding wild prey items to captive T's is generally frowned on because of the risk of introducing parasites, not to mention the risks if the wild caught feeders have been exposed to pesticides which could, in turn, make your tarantulas sick, or dead. :/

Thanks for that info. Can I get into trouble moving them again too quickly? I suppose I need to fix this tomorrow before they get settled in this over-sized cup.
I don't think you necessarily need to move them into smaller containers. They will grow into time in no time. I've kept little slings in containers that will easily house a juvenile. As long as the vent holes are small enough and you drop the feeder item close to the sling or, in the case of one burrowed in the substrate or living in a web home, you can drop it close to the hole, or on the web close to the hole in the web, that should be all you need to worry about..

Jeff23

Arachnolord
lol. I suspect an angry Tarantula will probably prevail over all the lab coats if I mistreat them. It is good to make sure they are happy. i ordered correct sized cups but am debating with myself on leaving them in the cups if they stay out in the open so I can easily get food next to them (and insure they can find water okay). It isn't furnished like a mansion, but it does have an Olympic size swimming pool.

Hi Jeff. :) I know, I'm a little late to the party but congrats on your new 8 legged friends and welcome to the hobby. :)
as far as ordering feeders goes, 250 crickets is really a LOT more then you need, as you said. Have you considered a small dubia colony? The babies are .....
Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Since all of my T's are currently very small (largest is under 2"), I have switched to the idea of getting Dubia's and Mealworms as you suggest. Trenor also suggested in the cricket thread that Bait and Tackle shops will likely have full size crickets in small quantities so I could get a few of them for variety once I obtain larger spiders where the size is appropriate.

I ordered some of the small 5 ounce cups that should be here tomorrow, but I may decide to leave part of them in the larger cups if I can see that feeding and water works okay.

This is a fun hobby. I wish I had found it sooner.