Soon To Be New Tarantula Owner

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@EulersK has mentioned a do it yourself product to use on the tips of tongs. I can't remember what it is, maybe he will see this.
Y'all beat me to it :D Plastidip, that should do the trick. They sell it in much smaller quantities at Home Depot.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I may have to backtrack. I don't think I noticed the detail enough to know for sure. I am not personally fond of the Brachypelma family due to the mentioned hair issues for several of them. So I didn't stick around long enough to remember the color details on the spider's carapace. I suppose it could actually be a Brachypelma smithi or Brachypelma annitha. I think they only had it listed by the partial slang name "Red Knee". I did not see a sex listed on the label either. But it was about 3" in length. If I am back in that area tomorrow I may check again for curiosity's sake. It will be good practice for identifying T's.
My B. smithi has yet to kick hairs at me.

Sana

Arachnoprince
My B. smithi has yet to kick hairs at me.
Mine has webbed everything in her enclosure and kicked hairs all over that but never at me. Of course lifting her water dish out gets me haired by the dish.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Mine has webbed everything in her enclosure and kicked hairs all over that but never at me. Of course lifting her water dish out gets me haired by the dish.
@Jeff Allen The lesson to be learned from both my and @VanessaS experiences is that each spider has its own unique personality. While the Brachypelma sp. might be notorious for being unusually hair flicky this is by no means set in stone and as both of our experiences can attest each spider can be its own character.

In your case, given the value of true B. smithi I would investigate it and if it is indeed a true specimen I would pick it up. The value is worth it!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I haven't ever used tongs with a silicone tip. I don't tong feed though. My partner was tong feeding his pokies for a long time and the result was them hanging out at the top when the container was opened. Not my favorite place to have a venomous spider chill with a top opening enclosure. I haven't seen any benefits to tong feeding at this point and it's pretty rare for our tarantulas to mess with the tongs when we're doing maintenance. We pitch in some crickets and let them get a mouthful before doing other maintenance and that has worked well to this point.
I don't plan to tong feed mine either. With the enclosures from Jamie's I can't feed from the top for the Avic's anyway. Plus I think it is more fun to watch them go after the meal from a small distance. I suspect attempting to tong feed a 1/8" cricket will require a set of those miniature tongs.

It may be nice to have a set of silicone tongs in case they are needed for some scenario where there might be worry of injury.

@Jeff Allen The lesson to be learned from both my and @VanessaS experiences is that each spider has its own unique personality. While the Brachypelma sp. might be notorious for being unusually hair flicky this is by no means set in stone and as both of our experiences can attest each spider can be its own character.

In your case, given the value of true B. smithi I would investigate it and if it is indeed a true specimen I would pick it up. The value is worth it!
Thanks for the advice. I am definitely too inexperienced to know them like you and others in this forum. I think I made the wrong guess when I called it a Brachypelma smithi. It might be a Brachypelma annitha instead if I am reading the spot on the carapace correctly (photo doesn't show it well). I dropped by there for a second visit today. But I am inexperienced on these things. Petco just calls it a Red Leg and wants $99 for it. It doesn't appear to be moving much. It is sitting in or near the same spot where I saw it yesterday.

Attachments

Sana

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the advice. I am definitely too inexperienced to know them like you and others in this forum. I think I made the wrong guess when I called it a Brachypelma smithi. It might be a Brachypelma annitha instead if I am reading the spot on the carapace correctly (photo doesn't show it well). I dropped by there for a second visit today. But I am inexperienced on these things. Petco just calls it a Red Leg and wants $99 for it. It doesn't appear to be moving much. It is sitting in or near the same spot where I saw it yesterday.
I'm no good at Brachy IDs but I would guess that it's mouth is full. It's super cute no matter what species it is.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Although if you want to be on the safe side by all means
Which is exactly why I don't recommend tong feeding, an owner is just rolling the dice at the expense of their cherished pet's safety and life.

Tarantulas aren't spoon fed in the wild, they are efficient and effective hunters, the same is true in captivity.

I find it far more fascinating and interesting watching a T hunt a cricket in its home, then seeing some T eat a cricket because it was "thrown" at it, or placed near it etc.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'm no good at Brachy IDs but I would guess that it's mouth is full. It's super cute no matter what species it is.
I agree. It is a beautiful T. It would be great to have a much larger spider. But right now I am a little scared with multiple T's arriving today as my first ones. I don't want to overwhelm myself. If it is still there after I get these stable, I might backtrack and consider it. I suppose I can always wear gloves when changing water bowl and cleaning up feeder remains.

It would be good to read more user experiences with the Brach's as well so that I don't create an environment that makes it prone to get defensive.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Which is exactly why I don't recommend tong feeding, an owner is just rolling the dice at the expense of their cherished pet's safety and life.

Tarantulas aren't spoon fed in the wild, they are efficient and effective hunters, the same is true in captivity.

I find it far more fascinating and interesting watching a T hunt a cricket in its home, then seeing some T eat a cricket because it was "thrown" at it, or placed near it etc.
I think you are blowing this out of proportion. I have tong fed countless times.But if you dont want to do it that's fine. With a lot of mine you can just drop the food nearby.

I know what am doing and trust me if I felt I was putting my T at risk I wouldnt do it. Anyways not something the OP need worry about.

With avics I like to do it because it means I know they have eaten rather than the cricket hiding about @ the bottom of the enclosure.

p.s I started using Spagnum moss for my avics Jeff. It became more of a pain in the ass if anything. (cricket hides in it).

Oh and Isopods do work fine and last long if you want to use them. They will act as cleaner crew. (just found some in the one enclosure with babies...4 months later).

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think you are blowing this out of proportion. I have tong fed countless times.But if you dont want to do it that's fine. With a lot of mine you can just drop the food nearby.

I know what am doing and trust me if I felt I was putting my T at risk I wouldnt do it. Anyways not something the OP need worry about.

With avics I like to do it because it means I know they have eaten rather than the cricket hiding about @ the bottom of the enclosure.

p.s I started using Spagnum moss for my avics Jeff. It became more of a pain in the ass if anything. (cricket hides in it).

Oh and Isopods do work fine and last long if you want to use them. They will act as cleaner crew. (just found some in the one enclosure with babies...4 months later).
Thanks.

I am still debating with myself on how I will choose to set up my Avic enclosure. It seems like it will be harder to remove uneaten crickets without completely removing the entire top section of the enclosure. I bought some Aquarium silicone glue and a glue gun so that I can hopefully do this without messing up the living space (web) for the T.

I also since noticed that the kit from Jamie comes with Silk plants. I saw a mention earlier that dyes for these may be a problem so I have found a few plastics at Hobby Lobby as an alternative option to protect myself.

So the spiders don't mess with the Isopods or do the Isopods just hide really well?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Thanks.

I am still debating with myself on how I will choose to set up my Avic enclosure. It seems like it will be harder to remove uneaten crickets without completely removing the entire top section of the enclosure. I bought some Aquarium silicone glue and a glue gun so that I can hopefully do this without messing up the living space (web) for the T.

I also since noticed that the kit from Jamie comes with Silk plants. I saw a mention earlier that dyes for these may be a problem so I have found a few plastics at Hobby Lobby as an alternative option to protect myself.

So the spiders don't mess with the Isopods or do the Isopods just hide really well?
I think you overthinking this. ;)
The enclosure works fine as is. If you feed your avics (or Ts in general) the right size prey there won't be a lot of fleshy leftovers and most of the time the T will remove a lot of leftover stuff on its own. It'll drop them down in the water dish or on the substrate or hang them like decorations from it's web. All of which is very easy to clean up.

If you feel more comfortable with a top opening enclosure I'd just buy/build one from scratch rather then trying to re work the one you have. It'll be easier in the long run.

I use both plastic and silk plants. I do soak most of the silk plants to ensure the dyes do not leach out heavily into the water. After that they have always worked fine for me.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Well if they are supplied by Jamies I'd have said ok. But otherwise I wouldnt use silk plants. (i.e plastic unless from a trusted source).

Re Isopods to be honest you dont need them. Tarantulas dont eat them and yeah they can get into nooks and crannies. They like moisture n decaying stuff like dead crickets n vegetation. I'd say they are more usefull perhaps in an adult setup where you have plants.(but I tried a few with my spiderlings and they did fine).

With your avics a filled water cap and perhaps the odd moisten of part of the substrate once a week is enough I have found. More important is your ventilation. Cross ventilation. I'd add a few more holes to Jamies myself. There isnt a hole in the top at all?

Oh and some slings can be v small so just beware when doing your holes. And best to go from inside to out.

p.s just had a look again at your first post. That versi is a juve rather than a sling no?

So did you mean this from Jamies as well as the spiderling one?

https://jamiestarantulas.com/arboreal-juvenile-enclosure-kit/

I cant help you out really if it's a juve because so far all of mine are less than an inch. And my other arboreal (well semi-arboreal) is in a whopping 12x12x20 enclosure.

I was looking at something like this.

http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/hom...ookie-jar-with-airtight-rubber-seal-lid-p1694

ah tom here did a brilliant custom enclosure. Am jealous although the one I made was cheaper :)

I'd consider using this guy in the states. Although in your case I'd use something cheaper at least for a moult or two. (re the 1-2 inch female).((actually on close inspection your female would go great into an enclosure like this)).

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think you overthinking this. ;)
The enclosure works fine as is. If you feed your avics (or Ts in general) the right size prey there won't be a lot of fleshy leftovers and most of the time the T will remove a lot of leftover stuff on its own. It'll drop them down in the water dish or on the substrate or hang them like decorations from it's web. All of which is very easy to clean up.

If you feel more comfortable with a top opening enclosure I'd just buy/build one from scratch rather then trying to re work the one you have. It'll be easier in the long run.

I use both plastic and silk plants. I do soak most of the silk plants to ensure the dyes do not leach out heavily into the water. After that they have always worked fine for me.
If you don't glue your parts to the side of the top section how do you keep them from falling out when you need to take the top off for some assorted reason? I am not so much worried about the amount of waste as much as making sure I don't tear up the entire internals if I do have to open it up. Since I am a newbie I obviously can't think of reasons to take the top half off other than clean up or moving the Avic to a larger enclosure. I think once I get the enclosure in my hands (tomorrow) it will be easier.

Oh and some slings can be v small so just beware when doing your holes. And best to go from inside to out.

p.s just had a look again at your first post. That versi is a juve rather than a sling no?

So did you mean this from Jamies as well as the spiderling one?
I copied and pasted the T descriptions as they were provided to me from their sites. I figured until I receive them I would go with what was provided. I understand the contradiction. I noticed problems in the Handbook labels I read as well so I just figured that people misuse the terms quite often. I actually ordered a Juvenile and Spiderling enclosure from Jamie's for the two Avics so I think I am okay.

That enclosure in the video looks nice.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you don't glue your parts to the side of the top section how do you keep them from falling out when you need to take the top off for some assorted reason? I am not so much worried about the amount of waste as much as making sure I don't tear up the entire internals if I do have to open it up. Since I am a newbie I obviously can't think of reasons to take the top half off other than clean up or moving the Avic to a larger enclosure. I think once I get the enclosure in my hands (tomorrow) it will be easier.
Ahh, I was under the impression you were re-working the enclosure to be a top opening one. My bad. Yes, you will need to glue the pieces into the top part of the enclosure to allow everything to work as designed.

Here is a some photos of one of mine.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Ahh, I was under the impression you were re-working the enclosure to be a top opening one. My bad. Yes, you will need to glue the pieces into the top part of the enclosure to allow everything to work as designed.

Here is a some photos of one of mine...............
Nice! That is what I meant. I guess my unknowns were how it will all fit, but it looks like there is plenty of space. I was trying to think of a way to mount a small water container up high as well (refill with a syringe through an air hole), but that may be tough to accomplish without the right lid/container. There would need to be a way to remove it to keep it clean. I noticed that a plastic thimble might fit in some kind of holder easily but they are pretty deep which might be a bad thing if the spiderling falls in it and can't climb out.

EDIT* I guess I could put a small pebble in it.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nice! That is what I meant. I guess my unknowns were how it will all fit, but it looks like there is plenty of space.
I did have to cut the corkbark piece down some because it was very thick. You can use as little or as much as you need to give good webbing points for the tarantula.

I was trying to think of a way to mount a small water container up high as well (refill with a syringe through an air hole), but that may be tough to accomplish without the right lid/container. There would need to be a way to remove it to keep it clean.
No need to attach the water dish to the enclosure. I just set the caps on the substrate in the bottom which makes them easy to take out and clean. The T will go down if it wants to drink.

I noticed that a plastic thimble might fit in some kind of holder easily but they are pretty deep which might be a bad thing if the spiderling falls in it and can't climb out.
EDIT* I guess I could put a small pebble in it.
No worries on that, those guys are climbers. They will not get stuck in the dish nor drown. A pebble is just one more thing you'd need to clean and it's just not pessary.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I don't want to give the impression that I don't love my two B. smithi, because I do, I just had to adjust the way I do things because they delight in hair kicking so much. They are really lovely tempered overall, and they are very beautiful, and I am pleased to have them in my collection. They are really very calm individuals, other than the hair kicking, and don't give me too much trouble. I have taken to using my gloves, and closing the lid to the enclosure as soon as they go on their kicking binge, so things are good with us.
It was just a new challenge for me to have these two because I have had very few kick hair at me over the years. At best, they would give a half-hearted kick during a rehouse and that was it - never during regular feeding and maintenance. I really wasn't prepared for the reaction I would have to their hair. I just made certain adjustments in the way I do things and everything is working out just fine.
:)
_DSC2762-2.jpg

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have tong fed countless times...I know what am doing and trust me if I felt I was putting my T at risk I wouldnt do it.

You've had spiders how many months? What you 'feel' the consequences of your actions are, and what the reality of them is, aren't always the same thing.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I was completely against tong feeding... until my little P. imperator guy came into my life. I tong feed him, but he is dainty and takes the prey very gently from the tongs. Not like the tarantulas at all and not at risk of being injured. He's a gentle little scorp.