Soon To Be New Tarantula Owner

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have switched to the idea of getting Dubia's
Not all Ts will take to roaches. I have many Ts that did, and many that didn't. Compared to crix, roaches are masters at remaining motionless for centuries- not good for a predator that relies on movement to detect prey.

Not saying don't feed them, just be mindful of whether your T ate or not. I have some Ts that simply won't eat them. If you keep a inverted AMAC box, like I do (Trenor does as well), I don't recommend roaches for Avics.

I don't recommend roaches for E sp Red either, stick to crix.

cold blood

Staff member
lol. I suspect an angry Tarantula will probably prevail over all the lab coats if I mistreat them. It is good to make sure they are happy. i ordered correct sized cups but am debating with myself on leaving them in the cups if they stay out in the open so I can easily get food next to them (and insure they can find water okay). It isn't furnished like a mansion, but it does have an Olympic size swimming pool.
Keep in mind that with terrestrial slings, the more room you give them, the less you will see them.

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Since all of my T's are currently very small (largest is under 2"), I have switched to the idea of getting Dubia's and Mealworms as you suggest. Trenor also suggested in the cricket thread that Bait and Tackle shops will likely have full size crickets in small quantities so I could get a few of them for variety once I obtain larger spiders where the size is appropriate.

I ordered some of the small 5 ounce cups that should be here tomorrow, but I may decide to leave part of them in the larger cups if I can see that feeding and water works okay.

This is a fun hobby. I wish I had found it sooner.
Until you acquire 30-50+ ts, a dubia colony is way way overkill. I'd wait on that thought.

You earned less 'funny' rate than me my man. Just a stat :pompous:

jok
But your lollipop rating is through the roof.:astonished::astonished:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you keep a inverted AMAC box, like I do (Trenor does as well), I don't recommend roaches for Avics.
I've not had any problems with this setup and feeding roaches to Avics. I crush the heads and leave them in the bottom of the box on the substrate. The Avics come down and get them. I was a bit concerned with the P.irminia because of the size it was when I got it but it hasn't had any trouble with them either. .

The new A.avics I got from CB last week are eating the small dubia nymphs (few days old and really tiny) really well. They have eaten twice sine I got them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've not had any problems with this setup and feeding roaches to Avics. I crush the heads and leave them in the bottom of the box on the substrate. The Avics come down and get them. I was a bit concerned with the P.irminia because of the size it was when I got it but it hasn't had any trouble with them either. .

The new A.avics I got from CB last week are eating the small dubia nymphs (few days old and really tiny) really well. They have eaten twice sine I got them.
That is good to know! I have not had much luck w/roaches. Even some of my AF NWs have zero interest. They will sit there w/a leg on the roach for hours, like a footrest, and will not eat. I throw in a cricket, and POW- Lunch!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That is good to know! I have not had much luck w/roaches. Even some of my AF NWs have zero interest. They will sit there w/a leg on the roach for hours, like a footrest, and will not eat. I throw in a cricket, and POW- Lunch!
That's interesting. I've not had a T play with the food like that. I have heard from others that some Ts don't like anything but a cricket.

I get a good feeding response from most of my Ts with the dubias, especially the GBB and G.pulchripes slings. I think they believe they are starving even as their abdomens are so plump they are dragging.

Last edited:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
That's interesting. I've not had a T play with the food like that. I have heard from others that some Ts don't like anything but a cricket.

I get a good feeding response from most of my Ts with the dubias, especially the GBB and G.pulchripes slings. I think they believe they are starving even as their abdomens are so plump they are dragging.
pulchripes are eating machines! My female ate crickets, then flipped over and molted the same day..

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Not all Ts will take to roaches. I have many Ts that did, and many that didn't. Compared to crix, roaches are masters at remaining motionless for centuries- not good for a predator that relies on movement to detect prey.

Not saying don't feed them, just be mindful of whether your T ate or not. I have some Ts that simply won't eat them. If you keep a inverted AMAC box, like I do (Trenor does as well), I don't recommend roaches for Avics.

I don't recommend roaches for E sp Red either, stick to crix.
Thanks for the advice. I am trying to be prepared with a few options at the beginning. I am hoping I am safe on the large Avic. According to Jamie's site, she was feeding B. lateralis Mix Roaches to the larger Avic Vers. I am not sure how they differ from the dubia's. I don't have any information on the smaller T's. I bought them from another site that also sells roaches, beetles, and wingless fruit flies. I may also buy some small crickets just in case since the shipping charges for most sites cost more than the feeders themselves.

Keep in mind that with terrestrial slings, the more room you give them, the less you will see them.

Until you acquire 30-50+ ts, a dubia colony is way way overkill. I'd wait on that thought.
I hear you on the extra room. I already got a little scare tonight. I opened my container for the 1/4" Eupalaestrus Campestratus (PZB) and could not find it anywhere. This spider is currently very similar in color to the coco fiber. I was about to start getting scared about those folks in the lab coats when suddenly the spider walked right by my paint brush that I was using to touch some areas of the terrain that looked suspicious. All of the 1/4" spiders are going into 5 oz cups tomorrow. I just need to figure out how I am going to do water since I don't have any tiny water dishes.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I hear you on the extra room. I already got a little scare tonight. I opened my container for the 1/4" Eupalaestrus Campestratus (PZB) and could not find it anywhere. This spider is currently very similar in color to the coco fiber. I was about to start getting scared about those folks in the lab coats when suddenly the spider walked right by my paint brush that I was using to touch some areas of the terrain that looked suspicious. All of the 1/4" spiders are going into 5 oz cups tomorrow. I just need to figure out how I am going to do water since I don't have any tiny water dishes.
i use coke bottle caps
... :) if you need smaller then that you can use water bottle caps from the cheap 12 oz water bottles, they are usually a little shallower and smaller.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
i use coke bottle caps
... :) if you need smaller then that you can use water bottle caps from the cheap 12 oz water bottles, they are usually a little shallower and smaller.
Good idea. I think I just need to head to the grocery store tomorrow and walk down that aisle in the store to see which ones work best.

cold blood

Staff member
Good idea. I think I just need to head to the grocery store tomorrow and walk down that aisle in the store to see which ones work best.
For slings that small I don't use a dish, just keep the sub damp...add some moss and keep that damp.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For area, some people use upside down monopoly houses/hotels. I never use those, they evaporate too quickly to my liking. If I have enough room I've always used water bottle caps.

In short it doesn't really matter what you use for a water dish. I try to find narrow but deep water "dishes" so I don't have to fill them that frequently.

I also make these http://www.tarantulasus.com/showthread.php/4353-A-tip-for-a-Tip-resistant-water-dish

Those containers can be found at Michael's art supply

Last edited:

Giles52

Arachnopeon
Welcome to T ownership :) I hope it all works out well for you. You're brave to start off with so many!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Welcome to T ownership :) I hope it all works out well for you. You're brave to start off with so many!
Thanks. I am now at the stage where I am trying to line up some feeders. I am figuring they will be ready to test out some food early next week. I've noticed the largest Avic is starting to web up the enclosure. I am very happy with the arboreal enclosures I got from Jamie.