SNITCH - Say NO to irresponsible Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Keep the species pure and say NO to Tarantula crossbreeding and hybridization.
Join the group and help the hobby.SNITCH

Tell 'em you heard it here.

Please do not turn this into some petty, uneducated, useless, quibble. I am just sending out an invite for those who care. Please do not allow yourselves to be baited.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could have at least used proper spelling if this is a serious cause hahah.

"Say NO 2<---? ? ?"

Don't use numbers instead of words if you're trying to look professional hahah.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Could have at least used proper spelling if this is a serious cause hahah.

"Say NO 2<---? ? ?"

Don't use numbers instead of words if you're trying to look professional hahah.
It's just a logo (not my design). And yes this is legit. Just trying to raise awareness.

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Maybe we could start with "Say No To Irresponsible Breeding". I've always wondered what happens to all those adorable little spiderlings that never find a home. Do they just languish on a shelf somewhere slowly being moved aside in favor of more interesting projects?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This post was just going to piss people off

-deleted-

Last edited:

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Maybe we could start with "Say No To Irresponsible Breeding". I've always wondered what happens to all those adorable little spiderlings that never find a home. Do they just languish on a shelf somewhere slowly being moved aside in favor of more interesting projects?
Very good point Suz. I have often wondered that myself.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I figure I might attempt crossbreeding at some point for personal purposes, just because I want to.

But in saying that; I would NEVER sell or give away ANY successful slings.
OH THE HORROR! THE AGGONY!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek: lol. I hope your post dosn't create a debate. We all know the hybridization coversations can get a little heated. lol

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This post is about to take a turn for the worse I fear. And to the guy who said they are going to crossbreed,what do you plan on doing with the offspring??Keeping 100+slings that will never be sold,or cannot be bred even will be a nightmare.....That said,I am turning and running as fast as I can from this thread.Most of you know why......

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
OH THE HORROR! THE AGGONY!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek: lol. I hope your post dosn't create a debate. We all know the hybridization coversations can get a little heated. lol
So true. As long as people do not allow themselves to be drawn in there should be no problems.
Let us just put this to rest right now. This post was not created to insight a riot. I f you agree then follow the link and join the group. If you do not, then so be it; don't join the group.
How about we limit this thread to single comments giving your thoughts, and nothing more. No follow up posts.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
I am totally NEW here, and will not probably receive my first T, for another week and a half. BUT, with that said, haven't plate tectonics, and natural selection been responsible for hybridization, and cross breeding of all of the Theraposidae that we currently have today? I can see the etichal concerns for not turning the Tarantula family to what man has done to say Canis Lupis, but is it truly this big of a problem? Again, I'm not passing judgements, but as a complete Novice, I'm simply curious, as to what the eminant concerns are. Again, Thank you all for your time, and patience with me. I'm sure I'll have A LOT of questions, that I'll be able to answer here, and again, I thank you all ahead of time.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I am totally NEW here, and will not probably receive my first T, for another week and a half. BUT, with that said, haven't plate tectonics, and natural selection been responsible for hybridization, and cross breeding of all of the Theraposidae that we currently have today? I can see the etichal concerns for not turning the Tarantula family to what man has done to say Canis Lupis, but is it truly this big of a problem? Again, I'm not passing judgements, but as a complete Novice, I'm simply curious, as to what the eminant concerns are. Again, Thank you all for your time, and patience with me. I'm sure I'll have A LOT of questions, that I'll be able to answer here, and again, I thank you all ahead of time.
Welcome to the hobby Ben. You have a valid point, than you for your input.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So true. As long as people do not allow themselves to be drawn in there should be no problems.
Let us just put this to rest right now. This post was not created to insight a riot. I f you agree then follow the link and join the group. If you do not, then so be it; don't join the group.
How about we limit this thread to single comments giving your thoughts, and nothing more. No follow up posts.

x_X i forgot how bad this topic can get, I'll remove my post in a second.

There was no intention to disturb the peace, only meant I might do it and if I did I'd take notes and study it. It wouldn't be some "ha ha look what I did" endeavor.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
x_X i forgot how bad this topic can get, I'll remove my post in a second.

There was no intention to disturb the peace, only meant I might do it and if I did I'd take notes and study it. It wouldn't be some "ha ha look what I did" endeavor.
No worries. Your opinion is valid and welcomed. We just dont need the back comments for every post. Thats when it gets ugly. If everyone can restrain themselves from commenting to other posts we will get a goo representation of individual positions.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
I greatly understand that if any of these "Hybrids" actually got into Native Ecosystems, then they would certainly pose a threat to, at minimum, breeding habitat, and prey availability of Native species, but what would be their REAL liklihood of survival? Also, Is this really a common enough practice, that it has already posed problems, or is it a matter of taste, within the hobby?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I greatly understand that if any of these "Hybrids" actually got into Native Ecosystems, then they would certainly pose a threat to, at minimum, breeding habitat, and prey availability of Native species, but what would be their REAL liklihood of survival? Also, Is this really a common enough practice, that it has already posed problems, or is it a matter of taste, within the hobby?
I think the issue revolves around the pure bred tarantulas being watered down with look-a-likes which are actually hybridized versions of said species. And due to the lack of research and credibility of sellers people take issue with not getting what they paid for, as well as all the potential for sterile or sickly tarantulas.

I agree with not selling/redistributing hybrid Ts.

But if some one wants to do it for the purposes of studying and or personal satisfaction I don't see the issue with it.

PS: to your question about it being a common practice, No not yet it isn't as far as i can tell.

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
I think crossbreeding/hybridization should only take place when it benefits a breed/ species. Kind of like how the texas longhorn was created by breeding two different breeds of cow and taking the dominant traits of each so they cow would have a better chance of survival on the texas plains........

As far as plate techtonics and what not - natural selection has its way of making things work out for the better. The strong survive and the weak parish. If it was a good hybrid, it would thrive in the wild due to characteristics of each species to make it withstand its environment.....if it didnt, the offspring of this crossbreeding would die....

In captivity, I personally feel it is irresponsible because you breed tarantulas for selling the slings. I seriously doubt people breed these spiders so they can raise 100-1000 spiderlings. Crossbreeds make the slings unmarketable as previously mentioned....and they will eventually die due to neglect or something else.....

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But if some one wants to do it for the purposes of studying and or personal satisfaction I don't see the issue with it.
Studying, yes, that's fine, but ONLY by organizations and people affiliated with those organizations or somebody responsible researching for the purpose of submitting those findings to said organizations for the sake of gaining knowledge for scientific purposes.

BUT...

There is no validity in personal satisfaction. What do you gain from it? If you want satisfaction, breed two Ts that are the same species. Then you could give them away or sell them.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ah to hell with this, i don't feel like being flamed for my opinion.

Last edited: