Smoking in the Ts room....

rvtjonny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been thinking about this for a while and wanted to see what people thought about it. Do you think that smoking around Ts has any effect on them? not like im blowing it at them but just being in the same room, i keep them in my bed room with a window cracked, the ceiling fan on low 24 7 and a sm 4" but powerful fan to circulate the heat from a ceramic heater thats on the opposite side of the room so it clears out pretty fast but ya never know.. Should quit anyway at almost 8 bucks a pack here in R.I :wall:

Rupert

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thats a good question my T is in my living room (thinking about moving it) and I smoke in my living room also many times Ive thought of that question when I see the smoke lingering in the air, Ill be watching for replies on this 1 also

RelyK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nicotine is an insecticide. so not a good idea. google it

Herps&Inverts

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think it's pertinent to review the insecticidal effects of Nicotine as RelyK mentioned. Here's a link that discusses its properties (on humans and insects). http://www.efn.org/~ipmpa/leastox.html

On a sidenote, I have seen about 15 cases of dogs with lung cancer, all that lived in homes with owners that smoked inside. While I doubt this would be the case with tarantulas, I'm sure similar effects could be possible--especially considering the side effects of direct contact with nicotine for insects.

Krazy Kat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also have been wondering about smoking in the T room and am glad this question has come up.I never thought of the effects of the smoke in this way and will totally stop smoking around my tarantula.I think I will make a great health choice and stop smoking all together!!

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use to smoke in the room with mine. After a while the sides of the cages will get a bit of a yellow film that shows up on the rag when you clean them. We dont smoke in the house anymore. It has made a big difference. The inside of my computer is no longer full of brown nasty stuff. When I get clothes out of my closet the no longer smell musty. They smell like clean clothes.
So I think if it gets in the closet and inside the computer in every little crack then yes I am quite sure it is effecting your T's, cats dogs and your kids. I am a smoker but think about it. If your T's are in the room even if you have a fan going and the window cracked they are still getting smoke on them and in their lungs and I am sure it has an effect on them.
So, Do them all a favor and yourself and step out the door before you lite up. Mine probably went through withdrawls when I quit smoking in the house. I am sure they wont drop over dead from it but it cant be good for them.

Last edited:

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would suspect that this would be very bad for them. My grandparents were heavy smokers and, after they passed, everything in their home was covered in a thick layer of tar and smoke.
Also, being a computer technician, I've seen what smoking in a computer room does to systems. Very thick tar and nicotine deposits in the system chasis and fans. I would assume that the same things would happen to your T enclosures and, most importantly, their book lungs.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is never any positive outcome to smoking indoors and pets; it is recognized in veterinary medicine to cause at the very least respiratory problems across the species board. Book lungs are a very delicate organ, and invertebrates are sensitive to nicotine to begin with, so smoking in the same room as your tarantulas is not a worthy risk IMO. Just take it outside. Or, like you said, quit - if you're smoke a pack a day at 8 bucks, think of how much spider buying money you're wasting in the course of a year ;)

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had the same question and used the search function. There was a lot of great facts and information and a lot of good arguments.

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Demerson: while some smokes may not have as many harmful substances in them, no animal was made to be breathing smoke, period. It is always an irritant to the respiratory system. Cigarettes, cigars, and things less legal all pose some risk to the breathing organs of animals and humans.

zes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
on a related note, what about those electric cigarettes that is suppose to help people quit smoking?
One of my buddies smokes that since he say he gets the nicotine he needs without all the tar and crap o__O"

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
on a related note, what about those electric cigarettes that is suppose to help people quit smoking?
One of my buddies smokes that since he say he gets the nicotine he needs without all the tar and crap o__O"
First, I never had any problem with Ts and smoke. For one I don't think much makes it through the tops of the enclosures. Second, the electric cigarettes do work--at least better than gum, the patch, etc. It takes a little while to get used to them (they aren't exactly like cigarettes) but it's not difficult to. There's something about still being able to inhale something warm that fills your lungs then exhaling it that makes it MUCH easier to get away from the real things. I'm using both the electric and standard cigarettes at the moment but I can tell you I've cut way back on cigarettes.

Lennie Collins

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Forget the tarantulas...one should be concern what the effects nicotine does to one self. If you inhale nicotine and want to stop you can. There is a way and you can do it!

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Should quit anyway at almost 8 bucks a pack here in R.I :wall:
Save your cig money for nails... for your coffin. It's astounding how you're more worried about your tarantulas' health than your own.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have been thinking about this for a while and wanted to see what people thought about it. Do you think that smoking around Ts has any effect on them? not like im blowing it at them but just being in the same room, i keep them in my bed room with a window cracked, the ceiling fan on low 24 7 and a sm 4" but powerful fan to circulate the heat from a ceramic heater thats on the opposite side of the room so it clears out pretty fast but ya never know.. Should quit anyway at almost 8 bucks a pack here in R.I :wall:
A pack of high end smokes is about 10 bucks here (8 is cheap lol). We've had a post about this awhile ago but I'm not sure how conclusive it was. From what I've come to understand it isn't overly dangerous to smoke in the same room (I do it), provided the smoke is not lingering. We all know tobacco and the fertilizers in it make for some nasty chemicals and free radicals, which aren't even good for people. Nicotene has been historically used as a pesticide aswell. From what we talked about on the other post I would conclude that cigarettes aren't gonna kill your inverts unless you direct the smoke at them, and also smoking that which is not tobacco around your inverts seems less detrimental as long as you once again don't direct smoke at them.

aracnophiliac

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I as well have never had a problum.I have most of my T.s displayed in the Living room and I as well as my BF and most of our friends that come over smoke cigarrettes as well as..;) ....Other then the yellowing on the outside of the tank I have never had a problum wiht the health of my T.s...I actually belive my snakes are nerves being held by somone who dosent smoke...Just because we always smell like cigarrettes.