Skippy´s millipedes

Ponerinecat

Arachnobaron
Hello, a question. How do you keep your Polyzonium germanicum? My native Octoglena anura are related and probably have very similar care, any help would be appreciated. Wonderful collection by the way!

Spideymom

Arachnopeon
Thanks for support!
Currently I have babies mated from pairing hypomelanistic C.sp.Mozambique x 4 classic females. I have found several hundred of offspring, which should reach adult in second half of the year 2020 I hope the male will be still alive so I can mate him with his daughters. I would like to test this gene, it is very interesting topic even from a scientific point of view, research papers focused on aberrant forms of millipedes are very sparse.

Here I add one more lovely photo of living candies - Rhopalomeris cf. carnifex. I use the cf. (confer) symbol, as far in the wild you can find more than 5 different forms of the "same species" and it needs to get resolved.

These are amazing!! Do you still keep them? How did everything work out?

skippy666

Arachnopeon
So, I am back - with some fresh updates. I am glad you´ve found my post interesting :headphone:

Chicobolus spinigerus - captive breeding F3

Narceus gordanus "Gold" mating attempt - hope to breed this one, very nice species!

Unidentified species from Malaysia - captive breeding

Trachyjulus sp. - captive breeding

Tonkinbolus sp. Thailand - adult specimen

Rhopalomeris sp. captive bred family

Madnesssr

Arachnoknight
You have an amazing variety! I love the Malaysian and Tonkinbolus species!!

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight

Narceus gordanus like to lay their eggs inside of logs. They eat their way deep into them to do this. At least that's what I've read and it's worked for me.

RDRobbs

Arachnopeon
Atopochetus dollfusi - one of my favorite, unfortunately difficult to keep alive breed in a first or second generation after wild caught specimens. But it looks like in every another generation the survival rate grows rapidly. One of the most beautiful species in captivity!

Atopochetus dollfusi - another view

Tonkinbolus caudulanus - just another small underrated beauty, it lives mostly hidden in rotten wood, but look at those colors again!

Sechelleptus lambertoni - orange colored captive bred juvenile

Centrobolus splendidus adult with a juvenile

Centrobolus splendidus - fresh babies enjoy the surface of rotten wood

Centrobolus spec. Mozambik - two forms, one classic with black pattern and one the most probably hypomelanistic. I have only one male which hatched in previous generation, here, in compare of both types

Centrobolus spec. Mozambik - another view of classic specimen and "hypomelanistic" male. I put him in a group with a 4 classic females. I hope to mate him with his daughters in possible way of gene transport.

Centrobolus spec. Mozambik - mom with offspring :)

Desmoxytes planata - and here comes dragon millipede! It is quite small species reaching around 2,5 to 3 cm, but its colors and morphology is just unbelievable!

Desmoxytes planata - mating

Desmoxytes planata - breeding , actually my own F4 generation

Desmoxytes planata - molting chambers

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

Arachnopeon
Wow, these photo’s are amazing! Thank you for making efforts in the captive breeding lines. Just want to say your C. Mozambique black line is stunning. Followed in IG, hope to see many more pictures! As someone who does not have millipedes yet but reading into it before starting especially the ones that show egg clutches, young&adults, and molting chambers are fascinating!

MillipedeTrain

Arachnosquire
Spirostreptus spec. 8
Why are your spirostreptus Sp.8 super brown? Are you sure that is Spirostreptus sp.8? That is just bizarre to me. Mine are super green. Or is yours a brown morph or something? Mine range from super gorgeous jade green to deep forest green. Your brown Sp.8 are very cool looking. I have babies and more on the way. Do you trade?

Attachments

skippy666

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody :)
Here we go again ... thanks all to your kind words

Why are your spirostreptus Sp.8 super brown? Are you sure that is Spirostreptus sp.8? That is just bizarre to me. Mine are super green. Or is yours a brown morph or something? Mine range from super gorgeous jade green to deep forest green. Your brown Sp.8 are very cool looking. I have babies and more on the way. Do you trade?
Following my sightings of WC animals, there are more shades of its color - I do have also the same colored as you have.
I do trades only within Europe - feel free to contact.

Benoitolus sp. Khao Sok - albino pair and a single specimen in close up

Bilingulus sp. - unfortunately it does not do well in captivity and I already lost them ... perhaps I get a second chance in future

Do you remember the Centrobolus spec. Mozambik with hypomelanistic gene? ... Looks like final stage of the breeding selection is on its way. If 100% of its offspring will appear aberrant, I will consider it stable.

Coxobollelus sp. - I keep just a few specimens of those, hopefully it will breed to next generation

Leptogoniulus sorornus - captive breeding

Rhinocricus sp. - captive breeding

"Tonkinbolus sp. red" - yet unidentified species (waiting for an adult male)

Xeroporcellio

Arachnosquire
New in collection Paectophyllum escherichii from Turkey
A really beautiful collection of stunning species! Do you still have Paectophyllum ''escherichii'' specimens? Because they aren't ''escherichii'' at all, but rather something more special!

skippy666

Arachnopeon
A really beautiful collection of stunning species! Do you still have Paectophyllum ''escherichii'' specimens? Because they aren't ''escherichii'' at all, but rather something more special!
Yes, but I keep just a single female and about 10 males lol ... I use label of a dealer, but soon I will ship male samples to taxonomis for proper determination. Anyway, no offspring, so perhaps next time...

Xeroporcellio

Arachnosquire
but soon I will ship male samples to taxonomis for proper determination.
Excellent! Because these specimens belong to the third and yet unnamed species of Paectophyllum! Let me explain:
The tribe Paectophyllini was revised by Dr. Henrik Enghoff 1995 in '' A revision of the Paectophyllini and Calyptophyllini: Millipedes of the Middle East (Diplopoda: Julida: Julidae)'' (the paper is here). There, he redescribed P. escherichii (found in Southwest Turkey) and described P. ferrugineum (found in Northwest Turkey). The two species differ not only in genitalia morphology, but also in color (escherichii is yellow and black ringed, while ferrugineum is reddish and brown ringed). Later, in 1997, a photograph of a third species intermediate in both color and genitalia (gonopods of escherichii and vulva of ferrugineum) was used as the frontispiece of the book ''Many-legged animals - a collection of papers on Myriapoda and Onychophora'' (the frontispiece can be seen here). In ''The millipedes of Turkey (Diplopoda)'' by Enghoff 2006 (available here) was revealed that those intermediate specimens had come from near Ödemiş in Izmir province, a place where the two known species are believed to co-occur! The latter fact, combined with the intermediate morphology of the third, unnamed species, could mean that the latter has a hybrid origin (like, e.g., Clymene dolphins or Kipunji)! In the photos below, at the left is a composite image of an adult and a juvenile Paectophyllum ferrugineum from the Greek island of Lesvos (a colleague and I will publish this record soon), in the middle is your specimen and at the right are two adult Paectophyllum escherichii from near Antalya. To me, the fact that from all known Paectophyllum the one that ended in the hobby is the undescribed is both ironic and interesting!
FIGURE 1.jpg sp. intermediate.jpg escherichii.jpg

skippy666

Arachnopeon
Thank you for very useful information.
I will try to contact experts on Anatolian fauna and provide samples to them. Even I have no correct locality data, I hope they find it useful. If anybody keeps some interesting wild collected specimens, it is always better to postpone samples to experts instead of throwing them to trash.
Best regards,
Adrian

Last edited:

Lucanus95

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Narceus gordanus "Gold" mating attempt - hope to breed this one, very nice species!

In case no one has told you this is an orange/yellow form of Narceus americanus found in central Florida. Their range overlaps with N. gordanus and they superficially resemble gordanus so many people mix them up.

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
In case no one has told you this is an orange/yellow form of Narceus americanus found in central Florida. Their range overlaps with N. gordanus and they superficially resemble gordanus so many people mix them up.
You're positive? I just thought this whole time they were pink leg Narceus gordanus. Thank you for this.

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
Hello everybody :)
Here we go again ... thanks all to your kind words

Following my sightings of WC animals, there are more shades of its color - I do have also the same colored as you have.
I do trades only within Europe - feel free to contact.

Benoitolus sp. Khao Sok - albino pair and a single specimen in close up

Bilingulus sp. - unfortunately it does not do well in captivity and I already lost them ... perhaps I get a second chance in future

Do you remember the Centrobolus spec. Mozambik with hypomelanistic gene? ... Looks like final stage of the breeding selection is on its way. If 100% of its offspring will appear aberrant, I will consider it stable.

Coxobollelus sp. - I keep just a few specimens of those, hopefully it will breed to next generation

Leptogoniulus sorornus - captive breeding

Rhinocricus sp. - captive breeding

"Tonkinbolus sp. red" - yet unidentified species (waiting for an adult male)

I love them all but your Coxobollelus sp. are just gorgeous and so are the "Tonkinbolus sp. red".

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
Great pics and species!