Should I get a Honduran Curly Hair or a Mexican Red Knee?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Honestly, you're literally the first person I've seen on here that is prepared for the pet rock aspect. For most people, it's a turnoff. Everyone wants an active pet, not one that will sit in the same spot for days at a time. We just like to warn people, you know? It's kind of like warning people that certain breeds of dog will need a lot of attention. Myself, I actually enjoy a good pet rock. Work and school keeps me busy, so it's nice to have pets that don't need me around.
I am? Man, you have no idea how badly ive wanted a tarantula/scorpion. Since i was, like, five. and im eighteen now. Ive done a ridiculous amount of research on this.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
bud
i probably still cant get a tarantula for a few more years. im in college. my mom doesnt want me to have one. as long as i have her breathing down my neck, if i DO manage to convince her to let me get one,
there
is
no
POSSIBLE
way
she will let me have two, let alone 50
You can hide a lot of things in a closet.

Just sayin' :smug:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I don't have a B albo. I have 2 B smithi's. Neither smithi is a hair kicker. One of them I bought from a guy that said she was a bad hair kicker. She has never kicked a hair at me. IMO, the B smithi is a better looking tarantula. The B smithi females live much longer when everything goes right. They cost more too.
thanks bud

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Its always been a mystery to me as to why people constantly bring up the pet rock thing. Like "hey, keep in mind, theyre really boring pets cuz they dont move". Its like people dont WANT others to get into the hobby. I understand its a warning that maybe people dont know what theyre getting into, but the way they say it makes me think they regret being in the hobby as well.
Nope it's to inform new keepers that some Ts do nothing for long periods of time..

It's always been a mystery to me why newbs ask us what kind of T they should buy ;)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Nope it's to inform new keepers that some Ts do nothing for long periods of time..

It's always been a mystery to me why newbs ask us what kind of T they should buy ;)
i ask what T i should buy because if i did no research, i would get a random one, maybe one that's highly vicious and defensive, and something bad would happen and somebody or the tarantula could get hurt. i dont want that to happen.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Throwing a little monkey in your wrench, since you're still in your negotiation stage with mom, look at these two. Grammostola pulchra and Brachypelma emilia. You'll like what you see.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I own two B.smithi and one B.albopilosum. I really enjoy them both and none of mine have been hair kickers. I think you'll be happy with either of those Ts.

Here are some shots of mine.

B.smithi # 2 is still small but is starting to get her colors.

B.albopilosum is one of my favorites out of all the Ts I own. No one can tell me that this T's look and colors are not great.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I remember negotiating days with my mother too where she wouldn't let me have anything, then i moved to my grandparents and acquired a lot of animals. Now i'm again at mothers place and she have no problems at all with me having all those spiders and snakes. People do change minds, just try to show and explain to her what she can expect from them. Informing is the key

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm going to quote this back to you in a year when you have 50
What's that got to do with anything? OP just said he didn't want two. He didn't say anything about not having 50. ;)

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I remember negotiating days with my mother too where she wouldn't let me have anything, then i moved to my grandparents and acquired a lot of animals. Now i'm again at mothers place and she have no problems at all with me having all those spiders and snakes. People do change minds, just try to show and explain to her what she can expect from them. Informing is the key
My Mom said "NO SNAKES!" (Yes it was in all caps). I had a 4' Columbian Rainbow Boa for almost 2 years that I told her and she believed was a legless lizard. Honest.

Now @Moakmeister the key to having 2 tarantulas is to start doing your own laundry and not have your mom clean up after you. I'm a guy, we know these things....haha

Trenor

Arachnoprince
My Mom said "NO SNAKES!" (Yes it was in all caps). I had a 4' Columbian Rainbow Boa for almost 2 years that I told her and she believed was a legless lizard. Honest.
You shouldn't lie to your Mom. :(

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I own two B.smithi and one B.albopilosum. I really enjoy them both and none of mine have been hair kickers. I think you'll be happy with either of those Ts.

Here are some shots of mine.

B.smithi # 2 is still small but is starting to get her colors.

B.albopilosum is one of my favorites out of all the Ts I own. No one can tell me that this T's look and colors are not great.
Have i just seen nothing but bad footage of albopilosum? That's not at all what i thought they looked like. I even held a mature male in my hand just a few days ago, and it, too, seemed to be a solid brown/black color.
That said, your T's are awesome-looking and adorably fluffy :)

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its always been a mystery to me as to why people constantly bring up the pet rock thing. Like "hey, keep in mind, theyre really boring pets cuz they dont move". Its like people dont WANT others to get into the hobby. I understand its a warning that maybe people dont know what theyre getting into, but the way they say it makes me think they regret being in the hobby as well.
Personally, I love my "pet rocks." Sure, I like my skittish, defensive, aggressive feeders, too - but the pet rocks are the ones I can pull out for classroom presentations and show the kids! My G. rosea and dwarf Aphonopelma may not be the most active spiders, but they sure are cooperative on those rare occasions when I want a reliable tarantula I can hold! My African Flat Rock Scorpion (H. troglodytes) is a total "pet rock" and I am absolutely smitten with her because I've finally got a scorpion I'm not afraid to hold. Pet rocks are great!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
no, like, you dont know my mom. she didnt like my leopard gecko when i was a kid. She's not even an arachnophobe. To her, this is just something that straight-up isnt up for debate, period.

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Personally, I love my "pet rocks." Sure, I like my skittish, defensive, aggressive feeders, too - but the pet rocks are the ones I can pull out for classroom presentations and show the kids! My G. rosea and dwarf Aphonopelma may not be the most active spiders, but they sure are cooperative on those rare occasions when I want a reliable tarantula I can hold! My African Flat Rock Scorpion (H. troglodytes) is a total "pet rock" and I am absolutely smitten with her because I've finally got a scorpion I'm not afraid to hold. Pet rocks are great!
I hear you on the flat-rock. I held one a few days ago
and it didnt move once. I also held an emperor:
which almost immediately took a dive off my hand onto the table.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Have i just seen nothing but bad footage of albopilosum? That's not at all what i thought they looked like. I even held a mature male in my hand just a few days ago, and it, too, seemed to be a solid brown/black color.
That said, your T's are awesome-looking and adorably fluffy :)
I've seen some that were less fuzzy then mine and more of a consistent color brown. I picked that one up from Jamies Ts about a year ago. The photo was taken using a daylight bulb in a soft light box and no flash using a micro lens. Also her abdomen was a bit darker there because she was getting ready to molt.

AlbatrossWarrior

Arachnosquire
no, like, you dont know my mom. she didnt like my leopard gecko when i was a kid. She's not even an arachnophobe. To her, this is just something that stright-up isnt up for debate, period.
I know how you feel. My mom SCREAMS at me every other week when I ask to get crickets. :rofl: She hates spending money. (But just dropped $1200 on a TV we didn't need at all) She also keeps telling me "You can't get anymore" but every few months I get two or three added to the collection. She thinks their pretty cool now and practically MADE me by the C. lividum she saw on a dealer's website. So that will be "her" tarantula. And by "hers" she means I keep it in my room with the others and take care of it and she just gets to take credit for owning it :rofl: (Plus it's a Cyriopagopus, not gonna let her have it as her first T ;) ) I usually use holidays as an excuse for getting more now, or being a good kiddy :) My birthday is this month so that's my excuse for getting two more scorpions + the C. lividum this time

B. albopilosum was my first T ever, and I have two now, they're both awesome and individuals within the species vary greatly. Kirby was my first, got her as a tiny 1/2" sling and after only two years she is only just over 2". Aragog was my second T and she grew from 2" to 4" in about 6 months

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I know how you feel. My mom SCREAMS at me every other week when I ask to get crickets. :rofl: She hates spending money. (But just dropped $1200 on a TV we didn't need at all) She also keeps telling me "You can't get anymore" but every few months I get two or three added to the collection. She thinks their pretty cool now and practically MADE me by the C. lividum she saw on a dealer's website. So that will be "her" tarantula. And by "hers" she means I keep it in my room with the others and take care of it and she just gets to take credit for owning it :rofl: (Plus it's a Cyriopagopus, not gonna let her have it as her first T ;) ) I usually use holidays as an excuse for getting more now, or being a good kiddy :) My birthday is this month so that's my excuse for getting two more scorpions + the C. lividum this time

B. albopilosum was my first T ever, and I have two now, they're both awesome and individuals within the species vary greatly. Kirby was my first, got her as a tiny 1/2" sling and after only two years she is only just over 2". Aragog was my second T and she grew from 2" to 4" in about 6 months
well, mothers.