Scorpion Picture Thread

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
JSN said:
I dont see why a cactus could harm a scorpion, I've seen plenty of scorps hiding under fallin cactus limbs all the time...its not like the scorp is going to ram itself against the thorns or something...
I've read somewhere that is has happened to keepers somewhere along the line. Scorps can fall, especially if stressed or trying to escape from a "predator". Probably not as likely to be impaled either. A scratched, possible lacerated, pleural membrane would be my fear.

Either way, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. I just think it is unecessary to have it in a set-up. Put in a piece of drift would or a different kind of plant... my thoughts.

Best,

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
I've read somewhere that is has happened to keepers somewhere along the line. Scorps can fall, especially if stressed or trying to escape from a "predator". Probably not as likely to be impaled either. A scratched, possible lacerated, pleural membrane would be my fear.

Either way, you do it your way and I'll do it mine. I just think it is unecessary to have it in a set-up. Put in a piece of drift would or a different kind of plant... my thoughts.

Best,
well I agree I dont think a cactus is "necessary" but I certainly would not worry about scorpions being hurt from a cactus, and plus, why would their be any 'predators' in the enclosure anyway?...anyway, I understand your concern, but I think your being a little 'overprotective' of a creature that is built to survive...

Last edited:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Richard_uk said:
These arrived this morning. I wasn't expecting them for another week so as you can imagine I feel like it's christmas! :D

And to get an idea of their size....

They are beautiful though and quite fast. When disturbed they have an interesting habit of juddering their metasomas left to right over their heads!
dudE! is that their adult size? i really want a colony of micro scorps, the only species i foud were superstionae donensis and i cant buy em anywhere

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aye do tell, whats the SP? im not sure where original post is? Are they well kept communals?

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cashewman1 said:
Aye do tell, whats the SP? im not sure where original post is? Are they well kept communals?
They are Orthochirus scrobiculosus negebensis. Mine originated from Israel. apparently this is te adult size.

There is not much info about them on the net, but one site i found did state that they do occur in high population densities. Because of this i have taken he risk and placed mine together, but there are lots of hides in the tank. So far so good! They do seem to get on and so far even share the same pice of bark to hide under!

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
JSN said:
well I agree I dont think a cactus is "necessary" but I certainly would not worry about scorpions being hurt from a cactus, and plus, why would their be any 'predators' in the enclosure anyway?...anyway, I understand your concern, but I think your being a little 'overprotective' of a creature that is built to survive...
I put the word "predator" inside inverted commas... meaing to emphasise that when YOU open the enclosure for whatever reason, a healthy scorp will percieve the disturbance as a threat... as in, a predator. Healthy scorps get startled when they are out and about and you open up the enclosure.

End of the day, we are going around in circles here and this is not the thread for it. It is unnecessary either way. And I think it is possibly harmful, you don't... no big deal.

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i agree, probably unnecessary but whatever. lets just post some more nice pics of our scorpions here. ill start with a Vittatus, and my transvaalicus.

Last edited:

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm no expert, but that looks nothing like a c.vittatus, or is it some other vittatus?

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Defiently a vittatus, It has the triangle shape on its carapace. All vittatus will have it.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hehe from wat i know from a fellow hobbist from taiwan, who had successfully breed 3 litter of offsprings, its pretty much easy! jus get a male and let him do his stuff.. and wait for babies hahahhahah... and feed them well and maybe you can have a go with a picture i saw some time ago. some guy's female had 95 babies!!! ;P

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Steve,

The cacti-like plants from outside the New World (North, Meso and South America; Antilles) are classified under the nebulous term "succulents". Only Rhipsalis, as Alex states above is found outside of the New World in Eastern Africa, Madagascar and Sri Lanka. Prickly pear cacti (genus Opuntia) have been introduced into Australia.
If you've seen photos of African "cacti", more than likely they were Aloes, Haworthia or Euphorbia (Spurges). Africa has over 300 species of Aloe alone! More than likely if the plants you saw looked like cacti, they were Euphorbias.

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
heya Luc,

thanks for the info. i wasnt sure what the spp. of the plants were. to me they just look like cacti. im not much od a plant conassuer lol!