Scorpion Picture Thread

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some of my scorps

From top:
1.Isometrus maculatus male
2. and gravid female (she eventually gave birth to 14 scorplings)
3. 5th instar Mesobuthus martensii (I think this one is ready to molt.)

Attachments

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stunning Oliver! I've got a couple arriving early next week. Can't wait now!!! :D

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Randolph XX() said:
i agree with that Steve
catcus is not native in their Region, it's a new world plant!

actaully cacti is found all over north africa. which is australis' native region.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
canadianscorp said:
actaully cacti is found all over north africa. which is australis' native region.
Personally, I wouldn't have any cacti in any of my scorp enclosures, even if it is found in their natural habitat. I guess that it could harm the scorp, possibly fatally.

But that's just me... :)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
canadianscorp said:

i think they arnt technically called Cacti, they have a same survival strategy, but arnt called cacti (or its the other way round)

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
canadianscorp said:
so are lions, but you don't see me keepin a lion with an australis do you? :D

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
parabuthus said:
Personally, I wouldn't have any cacti in any of my scorp enclosures, even if it is found in their natural habitat. I guess that it could harm the scorp, possibly fatally.

But that's just me... :)
I dont see why a cactus could harm a scorpion, I've seen plenty of scorps hiding under fallin cactus limbs all the time...its not like the scorp is going to ram itself against the thorns or something...

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i agree, they are very smart animals. you honestly think a scorp is going to impale himself on a cactus scorpdude?? and that lion comment was a little rediculous.

Last edited:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
i think they arnt technically called Cacti, they have a same survival strategy, but arnt called cacti (or its the other way round)
Hi,

exactly. Members of the family Cactaceae were occuring in America only. Any other succulent (I guess that´s what you mean by "survival strategy", George), cactus-like plant occuring elsewhere is belonging to other families like Crassulaceae or Euphorbiaceae for example. There´s one exception though, the cactus species Rhipsalis baccifera.

But if you are finding a cactus except for the mentioned species (which is occuring in tropical Africa, Madagascar and Sri Lanka as well) in Africa or other continents than America, it has been planted by humans. A cactus is definitely not a plant of a natural A. australis habitat.

Regards
Alex

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Orthochirus scrobiculosus negebensis

These arrived this morning. I wasn't expecting them for another week so as you can imagine I feel like it's christmas! :D

And to get an idea of their size....

They are beautiful though and quite fast. When disturbed they have an interesting habit of juddering their metasomas left to right over their heads!

Last edited:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Richard_uk said:
When disturbed they have an interesting habit of juddering their metasomas left to right over their heads!
They are a really interesting species, the sensory function of the metasoma seems pretty obvious when you watch them for a while.

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
canadianscorp said:
i agree, they are very smart animals. you honestly think a scorp is going to impale himself on a cactus scorpdude?? and that lion comment was a little rediculous.
Yeah I was being sarcastic. I recon the only way a scorp could harm itself on a cacti with a fall, and you should be protecting from falls anyway. Scorpions that like to impale themselves would of been removed from the gene pool ages ago :D . CB specimens might be an issue though, I'm not sure.

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nazgul-
I was curious as to the presence of cactus like plants in africa, so before i answered i read up on it. if they arent called cacti then im sorry for the mistake, but the plants i saw were deffinately VERY alike to a cactus (spines, dont need hardly any moisture) . basically what i was trying to say is that a cactus like plant isnt something out of the ordinary for australis.

scorpdude-
haha, i liked the gene pool comment, didnt know if you were sarcastic in the last post or not, no hard feelings:cool:

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Richard_uk said:
These arrived this morning. I wasn't expecting them for another week so as you can imagine I feel like it's christmas! :D

And to get an idea of their size....

They are beautiful though and quite fast. When disturbed they have an interesting habit of juddering their metasomas left to right over their heads!
cool species where do they origine from?