Sazimai Blue temperament?

FatherOfTheSpider

Arachnopeon
Google 'Crystal Palace Reptiles', they currently have one in stock. They sell tarantulas and I've bought from them a few times. Just be aware that you'll be quizzed on your husbandry before you buy the T. Nothing major, they just want to know what kind of set up you're going to have for it. They'll ask you about your experience if you try to buy an OW. If you go to their website, you can check out the price list. Spidersworld eu usually have them in stock, but you'll need to wait before they start posting post winter.

If you'd rather a sling, PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.
Thanks Minty...I can’t seem to PM you though

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Helpful! I already deal with this with another species.

The more I read- the more I’m on the fence. Crap
I think you'd enjoy a sazimai. They are a handsome species. Mine has been pretty good on the rehousings too. Hasn't thrown a threat posture or even tried to flee, which was a massive surprise, as I was all ready with the catch cups in each occasion. Mind you, I let it come out of the cup into the new enclosure on its own, as I felt I'd be pushing my luck if I started poking it again lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think you'd enjoy a sazimai. They are a handsome species. Mine has been pretty good on the rehousings too. Hasn't thrown a threat posture or even tried to flee, which was a massive surprise, as I was all ready with the catch cups in each occasion. Mind you, I let it come out of the cup into the new enclosure on its own, as I felt I'd be pushing my luck if I started poking it again lol.
maybe, not fond of high maintenance husbandry Ts, I already have some of those.

ColRolo

Arachnopeon
I had a P Saz as my first ever T. Thats it in my profile pic. Mines really easy to look after goes through periods of never being seen and always being out. When enclosure is opened it always retreats to its burrow allowing me to be able to do maintenace really easy.
Rehoused once and it just walked straight into its new enclosure. Never seen a threat posture and when it bolts it tends to only be short distances.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My sazimai slings aren't as bolty as my GBBs are. One of them is always out in the open unless I'm messing with his enclosure, in which case he hides under his cork bark until he feels safe. The other hides in his burrow about 80% of the time and has flicked hairs at food once or twice when he was in premolt, but never at me and never given a threat pose. He has a habit of putting leftover bits of food in his water dish, and sometimes burying the water dish in substrate, but those are the worst things I've had to deal with from him so far.

For all of my spider maintenance, I put the enclosures inside of a clear plastic tub. That way, if a spider bolts, they are still (hopefully) contained inside the plastic tub. I've only ever had two tarantulas bolt outside of their enclosure. One was a GBB that sat on the outer side of his enclosure until I herded him back in after I finished cleaning, and the other was a G. quirogai that was too big for the enclosure I had initially prepared for him. His legs almost touched all sides of the enclosure before he bolted. I'd probably have wanted to leave too.

I've only had my sazimai slings for a few months now, but so far they haven't been any more difficult than any of my others. They do seem to like a bit more moisture than the Grammostola slings I have, but that's about it.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
My sazimai is a slob. Moult was left in her hide for weeks until I got the chance to fish it out. Bolus' are discarded anywhere, yet her waterdish is her toilet. She poops in and around it, including on the sides of the enclosure by it. I know it's her way of keeping her poop away from her hide, just would be nice if she could leave all her rubbish in the same corner too :D

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
No idea how to post a pic to the gallery so I will post it here.

I took a pic of the P sazimai with my flash and this is what I found: 20200118_012337.jpg 20200118_012343.jpg 20200118_012424.jpg

@Olan @nicodimus22 @Ungoliant it definitely has blue showing up. Is there any other species that would have this occur?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
No idea how to post a pic to the gallery so I will post it here.
How to upload to a public gallery:
  1. In the top menu bar, click "Gallery."
  2. Select the relevant image category from the menu on the left.
  3. Click "Add Media" (near the upper-right corner).
  4. Select "Upload an image from your files" (should be selected by default).
  5. Click "Upload Image."
  6. Select the image file on your computer or phone.
  7. Add a title (preferably including the scientific species name) and description.
  8. Click "Save Media."

If you've already posted one gallery photo, and you want to link a second photo, the best way to handle this is to upload the second image to the same gallery and then add the second image as a comment on your first image.

How to embed images in forum posts, gallery comments, or conversations:
  1. Open the image (in Arachnoboards) that you want to embed.
  2. Copy the code in "Share BB (With Thumbnail) Code" or "Share BB GALLERY Code." (Both of these options allow the user to click the image for a link to the source.)
  3. Paste the code where you want the image to be in your forum post, gallery comments, or conversations.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
Can anyone comment on how this species compares to your average Pamphobeteus, temperament-wise?

Caretaker

Arachnopeon
Very interesting thread, although slightly increasing my apprehension
As I sit waiting for my three Sazimai to ship

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Can anyone comment on how this species compares to your average Pamphobeteus, temperament-wise?
My Pamphos are somewhat well-behaved. 4 out of my 6 specimens just run into their hides when disturbed, and 2 of them kick hairs. Never seen a threat pose from one.

As covered earlier in this thread, my two P. sazimai specimens threat pose at every little disturbance (no hair kicking, though.) They're not a very big species, so it's a little comical to me. Definitely not one to get your hands anywhere near, though.

ErikElvis

Newb
I have one sling in a dram vial and it’s a pretty consistent scavenger of small lateralis and cut up mealworms. Not one I usually have to worry about eating. I’m picked him as a freebie as I was drawn to the blue.

Caretaker

Arachnopeon
Waiting for my new Pterinopelma Sazimai Brazilian blue slings to arrive.
I'm Getting back into the hobby after a long while. And the Brachypelma Mex Red leg I last had was so docile and gentlemanly, only rarely kicked hairs never bolted .
Even though I've been doing my research these descriptions of wild bolty telaporting things do make me just a little anxious.
Perhaps the promise of Such a Beautiful Blue jewel overwhelmed my sense of caution.
Preparations will be made and precautions taken.
These along with a couple Hapalopus sp. Colombian (Pumpkin patch) Large will keep me on my toes.
Less than Two weeks until delivery and I've been putting together enclosures and they are all ready.
I'm excited 😁

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
@Caretaker - Welcome back to the hobby. My sazimai slings are both pretty quick, but I don't think I'd use the term "teleporter." I have a few Ts that are definitely faster. One still hides ~80% of the time, and the other is still out in the open almost always, until I touch his enclosure. They are some of my favorites to feed. I've literally had one flip over a roach trying to grab it, only to miss and land on his back :lol:. I've had these two sazimai slings for ~16 months now, and they're both around 2 - 2.5 inches. They were 1/2 inch when I received them, I think.

Be aware of the speed and watch for hair kicking, of course, but they're not super difficult. I think the speed and attitude are comparable to my Nhandu chromatus, definitely less defensive than my tripepii. Hope you enjoy your little guys, once they arrive. They're awesome in my opinion.

Caretaker

Arachnopeon
@Caretaker - Welcome back to the hobby. My sazimai slings are both pretty quick, but I don't think I'd use the term "teleporter." I have a few Ts that are definitely faster. One still hides ~80% of the time, and the other is still out in the open almost always, until I touch his enclosure. They are some of my favorites to feed. I've literally had one flip over a roach trying to grab it, only to miss and land on his back :lol:. I've had these two sazimai slings for ~16 months now, and they're both around 2 - 2.5 inches. They were 1/2 inch when I received them, I think.

Be aware of the speed and watch for hair kicking, of course, but they're not super difficult. I think the speed and attitude are comparable to my Nhandu chromatus, definitely less defensive than my tripepii. Hope you enjoy your little guys, once they arrive. They're awesome in my opinion.
Scooter,
thanks for the info and the welcome.
I had the Nhandu chromatus and Tripepii on my radar . Also the GBB
I went with these and a couple Hapalopus sp Colombia LG. Pumpkin🎃patch. But I still have time to add to my order lol..
I guess the teleport comment came after watching a couple videos of the Pumpkin patch.
I'm really looking forward to working with these little Slings.
Do you have any pics of your Ts
Also
What type of enclosure/ set up are you using for your Sazimai?

Lobstersign

Arachnopeon
I have a 1.5" sling. He is pretty much a pet hole. He is always in his burrow and keeps making his burrow deeper and larger. He eats a ton pretty much everytime I ofter him food. He recently molted and is still a pet hole.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sure I have pictures somewhere. I tend to take lots but post very few.

When they were smaller slings, I used 5 oz deli cups to house them. I poked holes in the sides and in the lid with a push pin, filled them 2/3rds with substrate, added a little piece of cork bark to hide under, and added the bulb from a disposable pipette as a tiny water dish. They mostly hid under the cork bark instead of burrowing in those little deli cups, so I was still able to see them when they were hiding.

Now that they're a little bigger, I keep them in 4-inch AMAC boxes that I bought from the container store. I use a little hand drill to add holes in the sides for cross ventilation, and just a few in the top. I've used a soldering iron to add holes too, but I don't like the melted plastic around the air holes. Looks much smoother with my hand drill. I add cork bark for a hide and a 0.5 oz deli cup for their water dish. In all honesty, the cubes are starting to get kinda small for them. Once they molt one more time, they'll need new enclosures. Thankfully, I've already placed an order with Tarantula Cribs. Because of how much they burrow, I tend to fill their enclosures a bit more with substrate than some of my terrestrials.

If it's difficult for you to get to the store, like it sometimes is for me, literally everything I use for my spiders can be found on Amazon.

Caretaker

Arachnopeon
Again, it seems these can be individuals and exhibit different traits from one to another.
The slings I have on order are reported to be between 3/4 and 1"

Scooter,
I found some clear boxes on Amazon and also at local Hobby shop that should work well for slings. These are made for model cars. And I went have to rehouse for many months. 20210110_125616.jpg 20210110_125616.jpg

Caretaker

Arachnopeon
The enclosures pictured are 3.8x7.89x3.8" and yes they are likely a bit large for a 3/4" sling. I have some vials and smaller cups ready as well if they should come in a bit larger or smaller than described. I like to be prepared.
I havent really raised any slings before.Whats a good rule of thumb for encloser size? 2 or 3x the DLS in width?