Rattlesnake tarantula

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Hi, I just heard about the rattlesnake tarantula and I was wondering what everybody knows about them. A few specific questions I have are:
What’s the scientific name?
Is there more then one genus that has this nickname?
Is there any chance of me acquiring one since they come from Australia?
Does anybody keep them in the US? If so how did you get yours?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
You have to be really careful when feeding them. They can strike half their body length. So you need extra long tongs when feeding or rehousing etc.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Selenocosmia crassipes I do believe (or phlogius crassipes), also known at the Queensland Whistling Tarantula and other similar variations 😁 According to the great land of le goog, known for accuracy of course so you may wanna check me on that 😆

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Are you talking about the S. crassipes? I believe they are in the US but I'm not too sure about the info on them. But then again, the common name is something that makes me think about what exact species from Australia you're talking about to be honest.

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
Are you talking about the S. crassipes? I believe they are in the US but I'm not too sure about the info on them. But then again, the common name is something that makes me think about what exact species from Australia you're talking about to be honest.
If you look up rattlesnake tarantula it’ll show you a few different tarantulas but in the videos out doesn’t look like it has the typical body shape of a crassipes

cold blood

Staff member
I am unsure of the scientific name, but from what I understand, they were never exported.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
This sparked my interest. A quick Google search found a video of this tarantula's stridulation. I was blown away to just how loud it actually is and sounds very similiar to a rattlesnake. I know it's youtoob but it's what I found via google.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Hi, I just heard about the rattlesnake tarantula and I was wondering what everybody knows about them. A few specific questions I have are:
What’s the scientific name?
Is there more then one genus that has this nickname?
Is there any chance of me acquiring one since they come from Australia?
Does anybody keep them in the US? If so how did you get yours?
They do exist but don't even have a genus name yet, they are something completely new. They are NOT THE SAME as Selenocosmia crassipes. They are a holy grail among Australian tarantulas and only a tiny number of people have them in their collections. As sad as it sounds, don't even dream of ever owning one outside Australia, it's borderline impossible to acquire them even here.
@Steve Nunn is currently working on describing them and I believe is the only person to ever have acquired a male

I am unsure of the scientific name, but from what I understand, they were never exported.
I might be wrong but I believe they weren't even known about at the time the export happened

Last edited by a moderator:

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
They do exist but don't even have a genus name yet, they are something completely new. They are NOT THE SAME as Selenocosmia crassipes. They are a holy grail among Australian tarantulas and only a tiny number of people have them in their collections. As sad as it sounds, don't even dream of ever owning one outside Australia, it's borderline impossible to acquire them even here.
Steven Nunn is currently working on describing them and I believe is the only person to ever have acquired a male

I might be wrong but I believe they weren't even known about at the time the export happened
Ok, we’ll thanks for the help, I hope that I’ll be able to get one eventually

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Steven Nunn is currently working on describing them and I believe is the only person to ever have acquired a male

Thank you for all that information. Bummer I really wanted one of these ☹

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Same😢, hopefully they’ll be available here eventually
The one and only time I found them available publicly, juveniles were about $800 AUD. That's more than what seladonia were than they first came in, for a small brown T that screams at you. I don't even want to imagine how much they would cost if they somehow ever became available overseas

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They do exist but don't even have a genus name yet, they are something completely new. They are NOT THE SAME as Selenocosmia crassipes. They are a holy grail among Australian tarantulas and only a tiny number of people have them in their collections.
:lol: :rofl: love that comment but for me those are just the next, stridulating, OW's T's. Sucks (but it's understandable) that due to Australian laws no export would be possible, but I don't see all of that hype.

Ceratogyrus spp. stridulate as well (just like other species). There's plenty of 'hissing' T's.

Flinger's another story now that's unfair :sad:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Who or what’s flinger?
Probably the best T I ever owned, a Selenotypus sp. champagne robustus, she had alot of personality for a spider, especially her habit of throwing objects across the enclosure. She was a favourite of @Chris LXXIX , dreadfully sad she passed away after dehydrating herself to death

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I would love to have a T like Flinger that would be awesome.

Unrelated, I don't know about other stridulating T's but I doubt they sound as cool as the un-named rattlesnake one. That is absolutely unique and the other stridulating T's that I have heard stridulate are not as loud nor sound the same.