Rare, Hard to get species?!

penngomifan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Curious what are some of the rare hard to get species in the hobby? How about New species that have yet to become of abundance in the hobby? Back when I was a Teen it seems some of the NOW hard to finds were not so much so.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The most expensive I've seen is Xenesthis sp. blue. Not sure if that means that they're really rare, but often that is the case with supply and demand.

400 bucks. :astonished:

Also Brachypelma schroderi. I'd give you a price, but I can't find a single place that has them.

Last edited by a moderator:

boina

Lady of the mites
Expensive/rare in Europe: Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus 2i: 135 Euro
And:
Pamphobeteus sp. solaris 0.1: 600 Euro!!!

Also rare in Europe: Aphonopelma everything, except seemanni. Somehow they don't make it across to Europe. I want an A. moderatum - have been looking for 5 years, never seen one for sale anywhere.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not really expensive but rare
Thrixopelma sp cajamarca
Thrixopelma cyaneolum (males don't exist) if you don't believe me take a poll of T cyaneolum owners and ask male or female then sit back and watch.

Other rare species here in Europe have been mentioned although the prices are different from country to country

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Curious what are some of the rare hard to get species in the hobby? How about New species that have yet to become of abundance in the hobby? Back when I was a Teen it seems some of the NOW hard to finds were not so much so.
Finally.. a member who thinks like me. I took a break from keeping for a couple years, and now that im back all i see is the same old stuff.
Id love to figure out the steps i need to take to get some more rare/exotic sp stateside and get them circulating/recirculating into the hobby

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I believe there is a newish Poecilotheria sp that was discovered and is not available in the hobby. Poecilotheria rajaei. And +1 to the other posts. There was also a thread not too long ago about a purple baboon sp that was discovered and it isn't available or even published yet to my knowledge. I don't know a great deal about that kind of stuff though

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know if this Theraphosidae is worth the money they ask, but IMO not so common indeed. The name, 'rufus', cracks me up because reminds me of an ignorant and lovely U.S redneck farmer.

'rufus'... muahahahah :-s

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know if this Theraphosidae is worth the money they ask, but IMO not so common indeed. The name, 'rufus', cracks me up because reminds me of an ignorant and lovely U.S redneck farmer.

'rufus'... muahahahah :-s
Very beautiful spider indeed. I sae these the other day and want to place an order

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Very beautiful spider indeed. I sae these the other day and want to place an order
I don't know, man. Rare are rare, and, starting from the point that personal tastes are always different and varies, I tell you that on my aesthetic book that arboreal isn't worth that money (again, aside for the rare part).

Btw you wanted to order one from a U.S seller, or by TSS? :-s

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I see them here for like 170 and just shot a pm asking about prices on multiples. Id hate to order one and it be male when theyre that expensive and that uncommon ya know?

Im also going to try like hell to find
Phormingochilus sp. Sabah blue, but unfortunately im getting no response yet from the people who have them.
Im unsure if theyre even stateside.

Id order from any part of the map. I dont care where they come from haha. I just dont know how the import/export stuff works for the average american hobbiest

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Finally.. a member who thinks like me. I took a break from keeping for a couple years, and now that im back all i see is the same old stuff.
Id love to figure out the steps i need to take to get some more rare/exotic sp stateside and get them circulating/recirculating into the hobby
Seems like importing from Europe would be the easiest way. But that's a large startup cost as far as I understand it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Seems like importing from Europe would be the easiest way. But that's a large startup cost as far as I understand it.
Yes I think that as well. And futile if someone isn't seriously in the trade. That's IMO one of the reasons why certain T's prices in the U.S increase like John Holmes manly parts: that Theraphosidae, priced in UK £ 299, are circa, more or less, $ 380.
Now obviously a U.S seller can't sell that at that price...

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Here in the USA

Psalmopoeus Emeraldus
Psalmopoeus victorii
Psalmopoeus langenbucheri
Aphonopelma moorei
Thrixopelma cyaneolum

And I can't ever see these two available even though they come from the USA/Mexico and users post pictures sometimes.
Aphonopelma bicoloratum
Aphonopelma moderatum

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
And:

Also rare in Europe: Aphonopelma everything, except seemanni. Somehow they don't make it across to Europe. I want an A. moderatum - have been looking for 5 years, never seen one for sale anywhere.
I don't know about Germany. But the crazy thing is when I couldn't found Aphonopelma bicoloratum here, I saw it for sale on multiple sites in the UK so somehow they get there.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Id have to do some research and weigh the pros and cons. I
Yes I think that as well. And futile if someone isn't seriously in the trade. That's IMO one of the reasons why certain T's prices in the U.S increase like John Holmes manly parts: that Theraphosidae, priced in UK £ 299, are circa, more or less, $ 380.
Now obviously a U.S seller can't sell that at that price...
If at all haha. I mean, a well named vendor may be able to sell small numbers to avid enthusiasts ( id gladly pay 300$ or so on a couple Phormingochilus sp. Sabah Blue right now for example) but a normal guy like me would lose big time financially even if i successfully bred the sp.
Anybody who ive done business with would tell ya i like giving stuff away and have even paid to ship other members free stuff.
I just do it for fun, not for profit

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
And:

Look like a Hog Island Boa in your avatar...is it?