Rare, Hard to get species?!

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats a beautiful species to...!!

But first i would like to see a complete and full revision on the genera Omothimus, Cyriopagopus and Phormingochilus...

They realy need to clear this up because i have the idea that the name Phormingochilus only is worth half of the price.
In the paper of Smith and Jacobi is stated that the differences between Phormingochilus and Omothymus is so small that they could be the same...
no doubt. It it seems to be very mixed up. Im a fan of asian arboreal and read all i can on them, but nothing ever seems to make sense.
It seems a lot of females are actual sp, while the males are hobby form of another locale which could subsequently be creating morphs/hybrids?
With the Phormingochilus sp. Sabah Blue, in particular, i know there is a striking resemblance to P everetti (another gem) and i actually questioned itbin the Q/D section

creepa

Arachnoknight
Thats the main reason I haven't plopped down the cash on some of these more rare Ts. I'd hate to buy a couple of T sp#1, only to find out that T sp #1 is really sp #2.

Plus I haven't had the time to do enough research myself to be clear enough on whats what.... There are so many details!
As long as sp. 1 and sp. 2,3,4,5 etc. are completly different looking you are safe...

For example Cyriopagopus sp. Sumatran tiger vs. Cyriopagopus sp. Hatihati...

creepa

Arachnoknight
no doubt. It it seems to be very mixed up. Im a fan of asian arboreal and read all i can on them, but nothing ever seems to make sense.
It seems a lot of females are actual sp, while the males are hobby form of another locale which could subsequently be creating morphs/hybrids?
With the Phormingochilus sp. Sabah Blue, in particular, i know there is a striking resemblance to P everetti (another gem) and i actually questioned itbin the Q/D section
Than we speak the same language man...!

But i am pretty shure that the all the asian arboreals are "clean" and not hybridized...
Here in Europe it is made shure that the first breedings of new species is done by a few people to get the species started.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
May I introduce: Esmeralda, 6 year old Hog Island Boa :). You were absolutely right.
I own a Hog Island Boa as well. I think they are gorgeous. I love how they change to a hypomelanistic look at night quite frequently.

I don't know about EU, but sadly in the USA, people have been crossing the Hog with normal BCI's in order to get the salmon pinks and orange saddles a bit. The progeny tend to look just like Hogs and sadly unscrupulous dealers sell them as Hogs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But it would hopefully be an avic with that edge to the personality like other Psalms. I would probably fall victim to this purchase in the USA.
That's a decent picture, but there's another one out there, a dorsal shot, and the animal basically looks like 2 different Ts fused together. It's pretty amazing. I think these will arrive this year.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Than we speak the same language man...!

But i am pretty shure that the all the asian arboreals are "clean" and not hybridized...
Here in Europe it is made shure that the first breedings of new species is done by a few people to get the species started.
So whats up? You guys got a lot of things i want. Whats it gonna take for you to send me a package?
Or do you know of any reputable sellers who have access to worldwide shipping? Id pay costs on my end if i found somebody capable

creepa

Arachnoknight
So whats up? You guys got a lot of things i want. Whats it gonna take for you to send me a package
The problem is that i unfortunately dont own/breed the rare species... (yet)
And the few people only sell a few specimes at first. And at that rate it can take e few years to get them going.
I guess they keep the market of rare specimens small at first to keep the price high.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it suffices an answer to OP's question since it's not in abundance in the hobby yet. There was a thread posted by @KezyGLA a few months ago with a short video of the bab. I don't have any other info on it
I should have been more specific. It's clear our frame of reference/point of entry is different.

Ts that have been described by science but haven't entered the hobby are not "new" to me. Hence my original reply to your post.

There's a few Ts characterized by scientists that are not in the hobby yet, they aren't new to me.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I own a Hog Island Boa as well. I think they are gorgeous. I love how they change to a hypomelanistic look at night quite frequently.

I don't know about EU, but sadly in the USA, people have been crossing the Hog with normal BCI's in order to get the salmon pinks and orange saddles a bit. The progeny tend to look just like Hogs and sadly unscrupulous dealers sell them as Hogs.
That makes me so :rage::punch::rage::rage::punch: But I am staunchly anti-hybridization, period. Especially with species that we don't have a lot of pure lineage of to begin with. Such as true dwarf boas.

Anyway, back to tarantulas. From what I've been told: Importing is expensive and risky. You misspell one thing and Fish & Game can just take that entire order and go "sorry, your loss" and the animals are given to a zoo or whatever... point is, you don't get them, and you're out the cost of the Ts, shipping, and import fees (which vary from species to species, yes, you pay PER SPIDER). Not to mention they can only come into authorized ports of entry. You can't have them delivered to your door, you have to pick them up at the port, after the package has been inspected.

This is why people try to brown box them (which is illegal and risky for the animals). They don't want or don't have thousands to spend per order. I've seriously considered getting my import permits, but I've heard too many horror stories of people losing money on it. Fish & Game does NOT screw around with imports of plants and wildlife.

In regards to buying rare Ts, I'm very hesitant to buy anything labeled sp. "_____" if I don't know for sure that it just hasn't been approved through the official channels as a new species. I still see people selling Aphonopelma sp. "whatever" and I'm like... the revision came out last year... I highly doubt there are new species suddenly popping up. That feels very unscrupulous to me and it taints my view of the seller.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I should have been more specific. It's clear our frame of reference/point of entry is different.

Ts that have been described by science but haven't entered the hobby are not "new" to me. Hence my original reply to your post.

There's a few Ts characterized by scientists that are not in the hobby yet, they aren't new to me.
I wouldn't necessarily call the poec "new" either I made the mistake of using newish when really I was just commenting on its abundance in the hobby.

Bread

Arachnopeon
My finger is twitching :p
Yeah, if you continue to keep an eye on TSS 'descriptions' (just for fun, I know you lives in the U.S so sadly you can't order from those, unless with the right papers) you would laugh, lol. Once I remember a 'rant' about a certain 'Baboon' temperament that cracked me up :-s

Here another, ah ah (and btw I disagree, genus Hysterocrates aren't that baddy)

l

My female (with sac btw) is from there, and she is REALLY evil!! - I'm told most Hysterocrates are pet holes, but she's very loving and comes out to greet you when you open the lid fangs a dripping and legs in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Yeah, if you continue to keep an eye on TSS 'descriptions' (just for fun, I know you lives in the U.S so sadly you can't order from those, unless with the right papers) you would laugh, lol. Once I remember a 'rant' about a certain 'Baboon' temperament that cracked me up :-s

Here another, ah ah (and btw I disagree, genus Hysterocrates aren't that baddy)
My finger is twitching :p

My female (with sac btw) is from there, and she is REALLY evil!! - I'm told most Hysterocrates are pet holes, but she's very loving and comes out to greet you when you open the lid fangs a dripping and legs in the air.
I have the mystery cup with my one freebie OW H. gigas sling that I haven't seen in that 32 oz cup since she climbed out of the vial and dashed into the premade burrow. One day I will open the cup and....

Bread

Arachnopeon
I have the mystery cup with my one freebie OW H. gigas sling that I haven't seen in that 32 oz cup since she climbed out of the vial and dashed into the premade burrow. One day I will open the cup and....
Gigas or pure? btw @Chris LXXIX if my girls sack is good in a few weeks I'll have some nice pure slings from WC parents, you are welcome to one/some for postage :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Gigas or pure? btw @Chris LXXIX if my girls sack is good in a few weeks I'll have some nice pure slings from WC parents, you are welcome to one/some for postage :)
Mine came from a legitimate tarantula breeder/seller, but I don't know about pure. A lot of people seem to say this species is messed up pretty bad. Even though I still kind of wish I had never got it since I have still only browsed OW's and not planned any orders, the opposite side of me actually likes it if I can make it come out more often. I plan to try the water pond idea when I rehouse to see if that makes it a little more visible.

I am right now starting to rehouse my Psalmopoeus tarantulas that are getting big enough (my first tests on the next level of attitude).

Last edited:

penngomifan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The Psalmopoeus victori is very pretty. Love the Psalmopoeus species as far as looks go....

Bread

Arachnopeon
Mine came from a legitimate tarantula breeder/seller, but I don't know about pure. A lot of people seem to say this species is messed up pretty bad. Even though I still kind of wish I had never got it since I have still only browsed OW's and not planned any orders, the opposite side of me actually likes it if I can make it come out more often. I plan to try the water pond idea when I rehouse to see if that makes it a little more visible.

I am right now starting to rehouse my Psalmopoeus tarantulas that are getting big enough (my first tests on the next level of attitude).
Hehe, i have mine in a half/half setup with a mini pond and shes bitten through the liner, so be sure to go with a solid base.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
As far as tarantulas go, not in price but availability, P.Smithi, T.santivicenti, M.balfouri (but those are becoming readily and cheaply available as is H.pulchripes), psalmopoeus sp. carribean diamond.

But oddly enough, everytime I save up enough to get 4-5 P.irminia nobody has any. Same goes for L.violocepes.