Rare, Hard to get species?!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The most expensive I've seen is Xenesthis sp. blue. Not sure if that means that they're really rare, but often that is the case with supply and demand.

400 bucks. :astonished:

Also Brachypelma schroderi. I'd give you a price, but I can't find a single place that has them.
<edit> is going to have Ts available that are going to be new to BOTH the USA and the EU!! Now that's nice for a change!

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Finally.. a member who thinks like me. I took a break from keeping for a couple years, and now that im back all i see is the same old stuff.
Id love to figure out the steps i need to take to get some more rare/exotic sp stateside and get them circulating/recirculating into the hobby
Money, importing and some good contacts in the EU is what you need.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe there is a newish Poecilotheria sp that was discovered and is not available in the hobby. Poecilotheria rajaei. And +1 to the other posts. There was also a thread not too long ago about a purple baboon sp that was discovered and it isn't available or even published yet to my knowledge. I don't know a great deal about that kind of stuff though
That Poki is "newish" hit the news 4 years ago. Where's the info on this purple baboon??

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Details, man. When and what?
April, and that's all I can say. Some are on the website, like
Xenesthis sp.” light”

It's nice to see that there are some worldwide firsts for a change, instead of the USA always chasing/relying on the EU.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Also rare in Europe: Aphonopelma everything, except seemanni. Somehow they don't make it across to Europe. I want an A. moderatum - have been looking for 5 years, never seen one for sale anywhere.
Can't help for the A.moderatum but TSS has a nice A.chalcodes available :-s

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I don't know if this Theraphosidae is worth the money they ask, but IMO not so common indeed. The name, 'rufus', cracks me up because reminds me of an ignorant and lovely U.S redneck farmer.

'rufus'... muahahahah :-s
I like it because it says "Mr Stretchy Pants"

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I like it because it says "Mr Stretchy Pants"
Yeah, if you continue to keep an eye on TSS 'descriptions' (just for fun, I know you lives in the U.S so sadly you can't order from those, unless with the right papers) you would laugh, lol. Once I remember a 'rant' about a certain 'Baboon' temperament that cracked me up :-s

Here another, ah ah (and btw I disagree, genus Hysterocrates aren't that baddy)

l

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
That Poki is "newish" hit the news 4 years ago. Where's the info on this purple baboon??
I think it suffices an answer to OP's question since it's not in abundance in the hobby yet. There was a thread posted by @KezyGLA a few months ago with a short video of the bab. I don't have any other info on it

boina

Lady of the mites
I don't know about Germany. But the crazy thing is when I couldn't found Aphonopelma bicoloratum here, I saw it for sale on multiple sites in the UK so somehow they get there.
I know one single vendor who has A. bicoloratum slings and he got them from the UK... that counts as rare in my book :)

penngomifan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Finally.. a member who thinks like me. I took a break from keeping for a couple years, and now that im back all i see is the same old stuff.
Id love to figure out the steps i need to take to get some more rare/exotic sp stateside and get them circulating/recirculating into the hobby
Hahaha Yeah man me to!! Feel the same as you.... Right now I am only at two Tarantulas, but am waiting on a reptile show to see if check out the vendors, I may just have to meet up and check out some hobbyist collection out here...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yeah, if you continue to keep an eye on TSS 'descriptions' (just for fun, I know you lives in the U.S so sadly you can't order from those, unless with the right papers) you would laugh, lol. Once I remember a 'rant' about a certain 'Baboon' temperament that cracked me up :-s

http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/hysterocrates-cameroon-p-2854.html
The commonly refer to B. albopilosum (Honduran/Hobby) as "Pube Hair" as well

creepa

Arachnoknight
What i have been looking at here in Europe is Ornithoctoninae sp. Vietnam highland..., these are rare and expensive over here.

Last edited:

creepa

Arachnoknight
Im also going to try like hell to find
Phormingochilus sp. Sabah blue, but unfortunately im getting no response yet from the people who have them.
Im unsure if theyre even stateside.
Thats a beautiful species to...!!

But first i would like to see a complete and full revision on the genera Omothimus, Cyriopagopus and Phormingochilus...

They realy need to clear this up because i have the idea that the name Phormingochilus only is worth half of the price.
In the paper of Smith and Jacobi is stated that the differences between Phormingochilus and Omothymus is so small that they could be the same...

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod

l
Their April Fool was a good one.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
But first i would like to see a complete and full revision on the genera Omothimus, Cyriopagopus and Phormingochilus...
Thats the main reason I haven't plopped down the cash on some of these more rare Ts. I'd hate to buy a couple of T sp#1, only to find out that T sp #1 is really sp #2.

Plus I haven't had the time to do enough research myself to be clear enough on whats what.... There are so many details!