Pure or not?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
if you aren't planning on breeding, I wouldn't be concerned at all and just enjoy the new pets.
I mean honestly I just got into this hobby. In a few years, I might breed. I've definitely thought about it, but that's years off for me.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I wouldn't be concerned at all and just enjoy the new pets.
True this.However,if your paying for a T that's a high priced genus/species,and getting a mutt,its a little
aggrevating.paying for a Ferrari and getting a Focus.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What would vagans be hybridized with? Albopilosum? Verdezi? Kahlenbergi? How do we know? Why aren't we concerned with B. smithi hybridization with B. auratum? As far as I can tell, there is just as much evidence for B. smithi hybridization as there is for vagans.
Sure we know Sharpfang was one of the few people to hybrid vagans with albopilosum. Also the "Mexican Fantasy" tarantula http://arachnoboards.com/threads/mexican-fantasy-what-the-heck-is-it.31002/ which was hybrid by Bruce from Arachnophiliacs, the species were vagans and verdezi aka pallidum.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brachypelma smithi aka annitha: Photos courtesy of Jorge Mendoza
IMG_4081.JPG
Brachypelma kahlenbergi - Female
IMG_3965.JPG
Brachypelma kahlenbergi- Mature Male
IMG_3966.JPG In the middle year of 2016 there were specimens from Mexico that were imported. One of them which I'm so thankful that was imported. There were 100 Brachypelma baumgarteni, 50 Brachypelma verdezi, 50 Stichoplastoris sp. "Chiapas" and I believe only 5 Brachypelma boehmei. These are species that were captive born that were produce from wild caught parents.

The following species will be imported from Mexico in about a month.

B auratum slings

B smithi females aka annitha

B hamorii females aka smithi

B kahlenbergi slings

What's great about some of this species it will clean up a bit of the long term hobby captive born in America. These species are also produced from wild caught parents. The B. smithi aka annitha and B. hamorii are long term captive raised. Like the first Star Wars movie title says "A New Hope". Be hopeful and look forward the future and hope that Donald J. Trump doesn't screw things up with importation of this animals from Mexico.

All in good time for those who are patient.....

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
And will these animals be sold/distributed to only responsible breeders?And how is it determined who is a responsible breeder.
and the offspring are sold to more responsible breeders.And so forth and so on.
If I have one of these WC animals,as a responsible breeder,and sending my MM to breed to your MF,do I demand you send/fax me
paperwork to indicate your MF is indeed a certified WC MF.
Just a thought.Or do these new WC become lost in the mix too?

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
When ordering slings, how many of one type do people usually order if they hope to end up with a female? Is 2 usually enough or do people get 3 or 4? When I purchased my vagans they were only $4 a piece so it wasnt a bank breaker to get 4 of them. The 1/4" B. Albopilosum (nicaraguan) are $20 each, so I wonder if I only order 2 am I likely to end up with a female? Obviously the greater the number I order, the more likely I'll end up with a female, but add in shipping and it definitely adds up fast. Just wondering if these species are typically born with equal males to females per sac or if it's entirely random?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
When ordering slings, how many of one type do people usually order if they hope to end up with a female? Is 2 usually enough or do people get 3 or 4? When I purchased my vagans they were only $4 a piece so it wasnt a bank breaker to get 4 of them. The 1/4" B. Albopilosum (nicaraguan) are $20 each, so I wonder if I only order 2 am I likely to end up with a female? Obviously the greater the number I order, the more likely I'll end up with a female, but add in shipping and it definitely adds up fast. Just wondering if these species are typically born with equal males to females per sac or if it's entirely random?
Well it's all chance. About 50% are female, the more you buy, the more chances you're gonna have at getting a female.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And will these animals be sold/distributed to only responsible breeders?And how is it determined who is a responsible breeder.
and the offspring are sold to more responsible breeders.And so forth and so on.
If I have one of these WC animals,as a responsible breeder,and sending my MM to breed to your MF,do I demand you send/fax me
paperwork to indicate your MF is indeed a certified WC MF.
Just a thought.Or do these new WC become lost in the mix too?
I have no control or anyone has any control of who can be a responsible breeder. The sellers can and will sell to whom ever wishes to purchase any tarantulas in the hobby.

These tarantulas will have documented certificates with them so you'll know where they came from, for example the last Mexico Import the Brachypelma baumgarteni came with this certificate label.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMG_4180.JPG This is what the label means:

Arachnida is the breeding facility. Number behind is the control number government gave Jorge Mendoza as the breeder.

Four letters is the genus and species, 01 is the number of eggsac, and 011 is the individual number of the specimen and the last 0 means is an unsexed specimen.

cold blood

Staff member
Well it's all chance. About 50% are female, the more you buy, the more chances you're gonna have at getting a female.
Get as many as yuou can, 2 isn't really enough, 3 would be minimum IMO.

Its not 50-50, and some species are known to be very male heavy, while others are more female heavy...those might be closer to 50-50.

IME it seems like Brachys pump out a lot of males.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Get as many as yuou can, 2 isn't really enough, 3 would be minimum IMO.

Its not 50-50, and some species are known to be very male heavy, while others are more female heavy...those might be closer to 50-50.

IME it seems like Brachys pump out a lot of males.
Didn't know that, thought most t species were around 50/50. Though, it'd make sense to be male heavy, females can lay eggsacs multiple times and matured males are much more vulnerable when wandering for a mate.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Just enjoy ur new T's :))) thats the best any of us can do