Psalmopoeus Sp. Black orchid

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
Hello all. Just wondering if Psalmopoeus Sp. Black orchid is actually a species? Described or not. I did research but couldn't find much to work with. Saw some for sale and was curious if it was a gimmick or not. Thank you for your time.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it's all black- it's the real deal. Use google, you'll find a thread from AB

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
If it's all black- it's the real deal. Use google, you'll find a thread from AB
Awesome thanks. I saw that thread and wasn't sure if it was referring to the spider being called black orchid as well. Good to know 👍

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Also goes by Psalmopoeus sp. Panama. Here's my sling when I got it about 3 months ago:
P8160008.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awesome thanks. I saw that thread and wasn't sure if it was referring to the spider being called black orchid as well. Good to know 👍
In point of fact it could be 2 different Ts, all I meant was there’s a black Psalmo

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
They may very well be three that are confused name wise as similar, the same, or different it seems from what I have seen
Yeah I think there is definitely at least 2 different species and their names are being interchanged. A guy has em for sale in the classifieds, seeing them in adulthood would tell.

Or maybe there was a name change, but im sure someone here would have known

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
You sure they're the same species? I thought they weren't even in the US hobby.
I've seen the common name "black orchid" being used for P. sp. Panama, so I'm guessing P. sp. black orchid and sp. Panama are one in the same. Don't know how those fit with sp. alquitran.

What a cute little one! Have you found them to be like other Psalmopoeus?
Yes, behaves almost exactly as my other Psalmos so far.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah I think there is definitely at least 2 different species and their names are being interchanged. A guy has em for sale in the classifieds, seeing them in adulthood would tell.

Or maybe there was a name change, but im sure someone here would have known
That's the problem with undescribed species and importers/collectors trying to make as much money as possible by using different names when potentially not necessary

Gilligan

Arachnosquire
I've seen the common name "black orchid" being used for P. sp. Panama, so I'm guessing P. sp. black orchid and sp. Panama are one in the same. Don't know how those fit with sp. alquitran.
Yes, behaves almost exactly as my other Psalmos so far.
Thats great thanks! I'm going to see if I can pick some up then, they look pretty.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
As far as nomenclature goes the fact that it's called Psalmopoeus sp. Black Orchid or P. sp Panama indicates it's an undescribed species. Otherwise it would have a proper name such as Psalmopoeus irmina. So at this point no it is a true species. It may at some point be described as a separate species or it may be proven to be a locale variant of another species.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Until there is better clarification/identification, it's best to treat P. sp Alquitran and P. sp Panama/Black Orchid as separate species out of an abundance of caution. IMHO though, they very well might be the same species. P. sp Alquitran has supposedly been discovered in Columbia and Mexico, so if that's true, Panama would be within that range. I've yet to see a picture of a MM or MF P. sp Panama though to make a comparison.

For those of you who've never really seen P. sp Alquitran, here's a vid from when Petko toured Spidersworld.eu and filmed the mature 1.1 pair they had at the time.

Now, if only Psalmopoeus sp Chiapas would enter the hobby...

Tykirk

Arachnopeon
This is probably sorted by now, but black orchid and sp panama are the same. I got them via the same supplier as the guy taking liberty to label them black orchid. I prefer geographical epithets myself. I had a photo of an adult female sp panama that did look alot like a larger reduncus. Alquitran (tar, in english) is certainly not the same.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
This is probably sorted by now, but black orchid and sp panama are the same. I got them via the same supplier as the guy taking liberty to label them black orchid. I prefer geographical epithets myself. I had a photo of an adult female sp panama that did look alot like a larger reduncus. Alquitran (tar, in english) is certainly not the same.
Could you share pictures I’ve never seen or heard of any of those besides the Panama and I haven’t seen pictures of any of them . Thanks

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Do you have adults? Curious how their growth rates were for you. My sling is growing pretty slowly compared to other Psalmopoeus I've kept...