Possible list of poecilotheria communals

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Poecilotheria as communal speicies. I would not do it. I am not a communal type of guy myself! I have social anciety! And dont like crowds of people! Why should i expose tarantulas to this! Actually I have had a communal set up of H villosella once for many, many years. They breeding and produced offsprings and lived in peace! That worked, but i am very sceptical to communal set ups overall and dont think many speicies of tarantula live like this in the wild!? Yes it is a trend! I think Cold blood hit the nail on the head here! This man says many clever and smart things!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I mean, why would you take the gamble on one tarantula destroying all its cage-mates? Like basically it could happen at any time and you're left just sitting there waiting for the proverbial you-know-what to hit the fan. Mark's Tarantulas on youtube posted a fantastic video about his failed P. subfusca communal. I highly suggest you watch it.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Watch Tom Moran’s rehouse of his communal setup.....
no one in their right mind would want to open a lid and chase 10 wild spiders.

It sounds like a cool idea but once u really think about it you shouldn’t want to have multiple spiders in one enclosure

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
which ones are actually communal
NONE- never been reported to see this in the wild. What has been reported by scientists in the wild is they live a solitary existence, in a single tree, in a hole w/in the tree.

Well how come everyone else is doing it?
Dummy see, dummy do

but it can be done.
No it can't.

That everyone that has kept a pokie communal is just an (edited for cursing) brass idiot?
Yes

I mean, why would you take the gamble on one tarantula destroying all its cage-mates? Like basically it could happen at any time and you're left just sitting there waiting for the proverbial you-know-what to hit the fan. Mark's Tarantulas on youtube posted a fantastic video about his failed P. subfusca communal. I highly suggest you watch it.
Because people are stupid!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NONE- never been reported to see this in the wild. What has been reported by scientists in the wild is they live a solitary existence, in a single tree, in a hole w/in the tree.

Actually, Sam Marshall, the arachnologist .have observed them living together in tree hollows during dry seasons..He thought they did this to conserve moisture! So you are wrong!:angelic:But if they live comunally under normal circumstances i
Sam Marshall, the arachnolig have reported that they congregate during drought in tree hollows, so you are kind of wrong!:angelic:

But this is not their normal lifestyle. Mearly a way to conserve water during drought!

Last edited by a moderator:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Though no Poecilotheria species are truly communal and you will risk cannibalism, I see metallica usually work better than any other pokie species. Next would be regalis.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Watch Tom Moran’s rehouse of his communal setup.....
no one in their right mind would want to open a lid and chase 10 wild spiders.

It sounds like a cool idea but once u really think about it you shouldn’t want to have multiple spiders in one enclosure
This is exactly how I view it. Even if it wasn't a dumb idea and actually worked long term, why would you want to have to deal with that during maintenance.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sam Marshall, the arachnolig have reported that they congregate during drought in tree hollows, so you are kind of wrong!:angelic:

But this is not their normal lifestyle. Mearly a way to conserve water during drought!
Then the biologists I know are right!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
It baffles me that anyone would even take the risk. Let alone do it again and again, expecting different results. I'd be gutted to have that happen and lose such beautiful Ts over something that could have been so easily avoided.

Last edited:

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
It baffles me that anyone would even take the risk. Let alone do it again and again, expecting different results. I'd be gutted to have that happen and lose such beautiful Ts over something that could have been so easily avoided.
Exactly. These people seem to think that it's okay to endanger their animals' lives for some reason. I don't understand fascination with communals and animals that aren't communal whatsoever, because a real communal is more than a bunch of animals merely (and temporarily) tolerating each other.