Possible list of poecilotheria communals

Wesley Barnum

Arachnosquire
Ive been thinking about starting a pokie communal and I was just curious as too which ones are actually communal. I do know that Metallica and Regalis are the more well known and commonly kept ones, but I just wanna list of my options. Because if I can keep 10 ornata’s in one enclosure, I don’t wanna miss that opportunity!:D

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
none. they don't exist really. M. balfouri is I think the only true communal.
Well how come everyone else is doing it? Everyone I’ve seen with them they look like they’re alright. I know they’re not 100% communal, but it can be done.
can =/= should. not a single sensible person is doing that with the intentions of proper T keeping. it is dangerous and superfluous.
I will not advise nor condone any method of keeping any species of pokie improperly as they are one genus that is close to my heart.

Wesley Barnum

Arachnosquire
So you all mean to tell me, that I’ve living a lie? That everyone that has kept a pokie communal is just an ass brass idiot?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
yes and don't swear it makes captain america sad.
if you'd've bothered to check there have been dozens of these threads already.
mothers will "attempt" not to kill their babies because that's how they're programed. and slings that are sack mates will probably be fine together while they are still small and well fed.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Anything is possible, but not always smart.
Keeping multiple solitaire arachnids in one enclosure isn’t a good idea. Most people that try it end up with one large spider.
With that being said some of these spiders kinda tolerate each other. The only one I’ve heard of is the metallica for arboreal species

Wesley Barnum

Arachnosquire
yes and don't swear it makes captain america sad.
if you'd've bothered to check there have been dozens of these threads already.
I have checked, and I’ve seen mixed results. Some say if you do it like this it works, and some say no you can’t do that. So I saw Tom Moran had one, and being he’s trusted I drawed my conclusion based on that. And the countless others on YouTube, and bundle available on fearnot. It’s not hard to assume that they would be based on everyone saying they are.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
There are many ways to keep tarantulas, and I think most pokie communals end in failure because those trying them are not as experienced+as knowledgable as they should be (and because sometimes they just won't work). I would suggest starting with another species that has been kept communally with more success, such as M. balfouri, N. incei, or H. gigas, before trying for a pokie communal.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
youtube keepers are cringe.
N. incei is the only T observed to be communal. M balfouri has stellar success. communal keeping is 100000.1% unnecessary and frankly a risk.
almost anything able to be said about this topic have been said.

Wesley Barnum

Arachnosquire
I would suggest starting with another species that has been kept communally with more success, such as M. balfouri, N. incei, or H. gigas, before trying for a pokie communal.
I already have a balfouri communal and it’s going greatly.:) But I felt confident in myself to at least try one. But I guess not now lol. I guess the next best thing is too have an H gigas commnual with a inground swimming pool. Also I swear, if someone here tells me that H gigas’s can’t swim, I’m closing my account.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I already have a balfouri communal and it’s going greatly.:) But I felt confident in myself to at least try one. But I guess not now lol. I guess the next best thing is too have an H gigas commnual with a inground swimming pool. Also I swear, if someone here tells me that H gigas’s can’t swim, I’m closing my account.

Wesley Barnum

Arachnosquire
Also don't work as communal groups.
god. I think I just started an internet war

I guess while I’m here I might as well ask if this myth is true. Which I doubt, I haven’t heard of anyone doing it. But is Pamphobeteus sp chicken spider really communal? I’ve heard rumors that they do, but I doubt that 11”-12” long spiders get along too well.:rofl: It would be awesome to see if they did.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
I think I recall in Mr. Moran’s video about the P. metallica communal that he also mentioned the possibility of canabalism, and explicitly stated that there is a chance for things to go wrong.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I guess while I’m here I might as well ask if this myth is true. Which I doubt, I haven’t heard of anyone doing it. But is Pamphobeteus sp chicken spider really communal? I’ve heard rumors that they do, but I doubt that 11”-12” long spiders get along too well.:rofl: It would be awesome to see if they did.
There are no evidence of communal tarantulas that observed in the wild. None. :angelic:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
So you all mean to tell me, that I’ve living a lie? That everyone that has kept a pokie communal is just an ass brass idiot?
There has been no actual reported pokie communals that has thrived from SLING TO ADULTHOOD without no casualities (aka. cannabalism). The only person with a pokie communal with adults is only Mark's Tarantulas on Youtube with his P. regalis communal. Even though this communal is thriving, who knows when it'll go south. His other pokie communals have all been cannablilistic once they were large juverniles and adults. His P. rufilata communal was a fail and so was his P. subfusca communal. All suffer from cannabilism as larger specimens. Not worth the risk or the money.

You want P. ornata communal? Come on, they're as big as P. rufilata and for sure they will cannibalize once they're larger. Don't be crazy, just think. How many pokie communals are still going around as ADULTS and are breeding communally? If you say none, then you know what happened down the road already.

Wesley Barnum

Arachnosquire
There has been no actual reported pokie communals that has thrived from SLING TO ADULTHOOD without no casualities (aka. cannabalism). The only person with a pokie communal with adults is only Mark's Tarantulas on Youtube with his P. regalis communal. Even though this communal is thriving, who knows when it'll go south. His other pokie communals have all been cannablilistic once they were large juverniles and adults. His P. rufilata communal was a fail and so was his P. subfusca communal. All suffer from cannabilism as larger specimens. Not worth the risk or the money.

You want P. ornata communal? Come on, they're as big as P. rufilata and for sure they will cannibalize once they're larger. Don't be crazy, just think. How many pokie communals are still going around as ADULTS and are breeding communally? If you say none, then you know what happened down the road already.
I said ornata as a joke lol. Even if they was I’d wouldn’t doubt that they would get along.:rofl: