Genus Poecilotheria

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Poecilotheria rufilata, juvenile male (sexual dimorphism already apparent)

Poecilotheria regalis, juvenile female, freshly molted

Onaorkal

Arachnopeon
hem...I start to "bad-trip" a bit...like I said in my presentation post, my boyfriend bought a P. fasciata, and it's his first T ever. Even if a lot of people discouraged him from bying a pokie as a first T, he didn't listen, as he was pretty sure of him. He is sure that if he doesn't handle it, he will not get bitten.

From what I read on the first page of this thread, you can still be bitten even if you don't handle it, as sometimes they rush out of the tank to bite.

Questions :
Do you think there is a way to avoid it as much as possible? For example going in the tank preferably during the morning or the evening?
Do you think that the Pokie might escape after biting or go back in its tank?
I don't mind if my bf doesn't want to listen and get bitten (maybe he needs a good lesson) but I don't want a tarantula in my apartment...for me it would be synonym of big troubles...I prefer not to think about that.

So even if my bf is a very responsible person, I think he doesn't realize that you need more than that to keep Pokies without problem...

any suggestions? :(

Robert Seliger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Poecilotheria formosa with eggsac:

Poecilotheria miranda female (not amused) with offspring:

Another Poecilotheria miranda female with eggsac:

Regards.
Robert

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My only survivor from a "lowland" x "highland" breeding

from the egg sack, only two eggs developed and I save only one.

Here she is

Pre molt

post molt

And ventral shots

Robchops101

Arachnopeon
male p. metallica just out of molt

here is a few pics of my freshly moulted p. metallica male. I am trying to check for swollen Pedipals.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pedipalps look like little boxing clubs on a mature male, and guy... You are the happy owner of a female. You lucky son of a gun.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Still could very well be a male, but not mature yet. Can you get a better shot ventrally of it? Or better yet, is the molt intact?

Robchops101

Arachnopeon
He was sold to me as a gaurenteed male, I know colouration looks female, but The previous owner had him sexed via molt and was gaurenteed it was a male. Unfortuneately I sold him just a few days ago, I also gave the person I sold him to an intact molt to verify the gender, but like i said it was gaurenteed male when sold to me. Unfortunately i have no other ventral pics however I do have another P. metallica Unsexed. I can post some ventral pics of it and maybe you guys could help me determine the sex...
sorry they are blurry.

Hope they aren't too blurry.

Rob