Genus Poecilotheria

kcpzpr

Arachnopeon
Poecilotheria Ornata blue form after 5 molts, around 1 inch BL, hope she`ll start showing colors soon:)

Attachments

Last edited:

kcpzpr

Arachnopeon

georgio

Arachnopeon
Protectyaaaneck:only for you :D

My P. subfusca "highland" 6 molts

..and my P. subfusca "lowland" subadult (~?) female

......my favourite:D

pato_chacoana

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The ''lowland subfusca'' is stunning! and that ''purple ornata'' too! I hope someone breeds them and not rely in WC imports.... otherwise it will disappear from the hobby (if not already) as many other spiders did due to lack of breeding...

meyken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The ''lowland subfusca'' is stunning! and that ''purple ornata'' too! I hope someone breeds them and not rely in WC imports.... otherwise it will disappear from the hobby (if not already) as many other spiders did due to lack of breeding...
Hi,

indeed...Poec.sp.lowland is also one of my favorite species.
There are a few guys breeded this species.
I know it sure from Ondrej Rehak and Karel Mutinsky from Czech,think also some other guys from Czech...Jürgen Herke from Austria had 2 succesfull eggsacks from his female with one mating,Thorsten Kröss and Henrik Krehenwinkel from Germany had breed them...i have also actually a succesfull breeding (see it two sides before in this thread)...think there are also a lot of more breedings from sp.lowland,so its surely no problem to establish these species in the hobby.

Cheers,Michael

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the two formations:

(according to me yours so)

The second one looks very much like a highland female. Also, the spider in the first picture is either male, or the picture is deceiving. I have a sub adult highland female and it looks like the "lowland" in that picture. And I know for certain, that it is what I think it is.

georgio

Arachnopeon
If you write it in the Google, that P.subfusca lowland, what kind of pictures throws out?
This many people may not be out...
The lowland unchallenged, but the higland many people mix it up.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The second one looks very much like a highland female.
That's b/c it is what has been sold as "highland"... it's my spider. That's a female from Jacobi's first eggsac. I'm only commenting b/c it's my picture... I'm not participating in this highland/lowland/midland "debate" :)

georgio,
For future reference, you are not allowed to post other peoples pictures on this site. Unless you have permission from the owner of the image, and express that in your post. Consider this a friendly warning :)

Eric

PS... well for what it's worth, I will make a few comments,lol.

1. There are things known/being looked into with these "forms" that aren't talked about on public message boards.
2. I wouldn't just start calling the "lowland" P. bara.
3. Jean-Michel Verdez (One of world's great theraphosid breeders, and prolific breeder of P. subfusca) commented to a group of us at the BTS lectures that he has had zero success in getting these "forms" to cross successfully. Doesn't necessarily mean they are different species, but take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you write it in the Google, that P.subfusca lowland, what kind of pictures throws out?
This many people may not be out...
The lowland unchallenged, but the higland many people mix it up.
If I write "poecilotheria subfusca highland" and search for pictures, I get the exact same picture. ;) Also many others that look exactly like that HIGHLAND female. I wouldn't trust google too much, because no matter what you write after "poecilotheria subfusca", you will get some of the same pictures.

Edit: Seriously the spider in the GoTerps's picture doesn't look anything like your own "lowland" for example.

Last edited:

meyken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's b/c it is what has been sold as "highland"... it's my spider. That's a female from Jacobi's first eggsac. I'm only commenting b/c it's my picture... I'm not participating in this highland/lowland/midland "debate" :)

PS... well for what it's worth, I will make a few comments,lol.

1. There are things known/being looked into with these "forms" that aren't talked about on public message boards.
2. I wouldn't just start calling the "lowland" P. bara.
3. Jean-Michel Verdez (One of world's great theraphosid breeders, and prolific breeder of P. subfusca) commented to a group of us at the BTS lectures that he has had zero success in getting these "forms" to cross successfully. Doesn't necessarily mean they are different species, but take it for what it's worth.
Hi,

i know about these Highland/"midland"/lowland story from the t-store,specially the thread from Ray Gabriel.

I m not good in toxonomic,but in my opinion the "usually" P.subfusca (Highland) and the spiders wich where offerd as P.subfusca sp.lowland or Poec.sp.lowland (this name i would prefer actually) or P."bara" are 2 different species.
I agree total,that the name P.bara isnt still correct,i hear that the sp.lowlands should be written next time as P.bara,but why to call this species before there isnt anything published as P.bara?

I dont know anything about the experiment from JM Verdez,but i will visit him tommorow and ask him about his experiences...
Seems to me as another evidence that its 2 different species.
But thats only my personally meaning.

Here 2 own pics from my P.subfusca ("highland") and P.sp.lowland.
Think the optical difference at the opisthosoma and carapax between these 2 spiders is easy to see:
Poec.sp.lowland adult female and mother of my egsack:

Poec.subfusca ( or subfusca "highland") adulte female:

Btw...think the subadult (!) Ps.sp.lowland female from Georgio is indeed a sp.lowland female,the folio on the opisthosoma isnt similar by subadult and adult lowland females.

P.sp.lowland subadult female:

btw... its also a different by the color from P.sp.lowland and P.subfusca "Highland" at the ventral side,sp.lowland its more brown color and the "highlands" more black color.

Cheers,Michael

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One of the 42 Poecilotheria miranda slings I received from Diane Fisher in a breeding loan. Thanks Di!