Pic of My heater

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It was mentioned in the chat that this picture would be helpful to those looking for a heater. This one is great! i couldnt ask for more in a heater as far as energy efficent and effectiveness. here is is with the tarantula keeper's guide thrown in for size comparison. As you can see from stuff in the room im a fan of R/C Cars/trucks as well =) The heater is made by DeLonghi.

Attachments

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bjorgly,

I was the one asking for the pic... thanks.

Botar

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by Alonso99
How mich did it cost?
:confused:
Kmart or someone had them on sale this week for I think 34.99, not sure if it is a different brand or not, but it was an oil filled radiant heater.
Ed

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It was $79.99 Canadian at Canadian Tire. It was the best on they had, its really sturdy, sort of heavy, and when you turn it on high it radiates ALOT of heat due to its surface area. I imagine if you had a small fan on one side of it you could really heat a room up good!

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is the thermostat on the oil filled radiant heater precisely programmable??.....like can you set it to a specific temperature in degrees or is it just a low/medium/high sort of deal?

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
also.....does the box or any of the literature included with the heater have a power consumption rating or comparison to other small/portable heaters??..........it looks cool and sounds cool but is the meter on the side of my house gonna burn up from spinnin so fast with this thing plugged in?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It has three settings , high, medium, and low. IT uses 1500W, 1000W, and 600W respectively. IT has a thermostat on it with numbers 1-6 for guidance. You heat the room on whatever level you want, then turn back the thermostat knob until it clicks. Then it is supposed to keep the room at the temperature. IT works for me as it does not drop below the desired temp, its usually a bit above because it retains so much heat for energy conservation puposes that when it turns off it keeps the heat goin. It very nicely keeps the room from 80-82 in the day and 74-76 in the night time now that ive gotten used to its settings. It is not digital or anything where there would be exact numbers in degrees on it. I tried one like that and it just isnt accurate because the thermometer was on the heater and thats where all the heats comin from!

any more questions just ask!

Mark

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah it makes sense that a built on thermostat wouldnt be as accurate being so close to the heat source and all...i have a small portable heater with a fan on it and it is the same way....it might be more economical for me to go the oil-filled route right now.....the costs of building an enclosure with heat tape and a heat tape compatible thermostat would be a bit much with my current financial situation!!! (i be unemployed) .....and when/if i do build something later i can always use the oil-filled heater elsewhere.....
i have seen those oil-fileld heaters at the local walmart but i have never priced them......
besides i can use the thermostat i have for my T tank to calibrate the oil-filled heater......thanks for the info.......

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No problem. They take like 15 min to warm up, i leave mine on 24/7 so thats not an issue with me you can just change the heat setting. Once the room it up to temp tho, it keeps it warm alot better and cheaper on the energy bill as well. My room is 10X12 and it heats it great.

Mark

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those oil-filled heaters are the best IMO. They don't dry the air as badly as fan-driven ceramic heaters and are also less of a fire hazzard.

I recently watched Dave and Tracy Barker's Ball Python video and they used one of those to turn a room into a walk-in incubator for python eggs! It wasn't clear if they depended on the thermostat that came with it, however.

Wade

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I recently purchased an Oil filled radiator from Home Depot. It is a Kenwood, and it was $69.00.

Works great! It has a digital thermostat, that I set at 80 during the day, and 70 at night. I have it on 24/7, I'll let you all know how it effects my electric bill.

Cheers,

Lyle

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
All these Oil filled heaters are great for small places..

PLUS they all ( check your to be sure ) have a nice safety feature that they will shut off if tipped over.

these are the ONLY kind allowed in the offices of the faculty around here.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm curious...what are your "spider rooms" temps without the heater?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi, do you happen to know the wattage on that? (i'm just wondering if that would use less energy than what i currently have set up)

Thanks
Mori

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
moricollins said:
Hi, do you happen to know the wattage on that? (i'm just wondering if that would use less energy than what i currently have set up)

Thanks
Mori
Posted a few responses up

bjorgly said:
It has three settings , high, medium, and low. IT uses 1500W, 1000W, and 600W respectively.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lyle Beach said:
I recently purchased an Oil filled radiator from Home Depot. It is a Kenwood, and it was $69.00.

Works great! It has a digital thermostat, that I set at 80 during the day, and 70 at night. I have it on 24/7, I'll let you all know how it effects my electric bill.
Please do. I have basically the same heater as you but mine is made by Holmes (I think they are all made in the same factory though). I only use mine at night. My beef with mine comes from the timer. You can set it to come on in X amount of hours OR turn off in X amount of hours, but not both. So you can't really set a timer and let it run all day. There is an $80 one that does have a real clock in it though.

Also, always set the temp 4 degrees more than the minimum desired temperature. Once the heater attains the set temp (say 75). It turns off and cools down until it hits 4 below the set temp (71) and then it turns on again. So far the slight fluctuation in temp isn't affecting my Ts any.

And for the guy that asked, the normal room temperature in my house is between 65 and 68 degrees.

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
walmarts has those heaters for $30 some dollors .i was just lookin at them last night when i went to get a few items for my dragons new cage and a few more containers for my new T's so if you have a walmarts and want one thats where i would go to get it

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was looking at that exact same heater at Wal-Mart the oter day. They also had one with a themostate in it for 50$. I need to get one of those, but I like the idea of having an actual themostate as opposed to just some numbers on a dial.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Here's some pics of my setup.... The Tstat was about $65, and is pretty precise! You can see how it operates, you plug the Tstat plug (black) in and the heat source (grey) INTO that plug...It becomes a switched outlet then...
I have a 6foot square closet...
T
EDIT: I like the little heater, it takes up almost no room..In a walk-in closet those oil filleds get to be too big, plus I wouldn't want any T's directly over it..The little ceramic is right in front of the T's blowing away , so the room has a nice even heat...

Last edited: