Pic of My heater

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
monantony said:
Here's some pics of my setup.... The Tstat was about $65, and is pretty precise! You can see how it operates, you plug the Tstat plug (black) in and the heat source (grey) INTO that plug...It becomes a switched outlet then...
I have a 6foot square closet...
T
EDIT: I like the little heater, it takes up almost no room..In a walk-in closet those oil filleds get to be too big, plus I wouldn't want any T's directly over it..The little ceramic is right in front of the T's blowing away , so the room has a nice even heat...
I hope that you notice that in your last picture...your extension cord has been melted! You're going to start a fire like that. Please change it for something with a slot for the ground. A surge bar would be fine.

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I finally pulled the plugs on all my T's heating pads, and I went to Wal-Mart and bought an oil filled radiator. It was fifty dollars and you can set it for whatever tepmeture you want, and it will automatically shut-off when it gets at that set temp. and automatically come back on if it drops below that temp.
And not only are my T's happy, but so am I and my hubby. We no longer have hot frying air blowing from my ancient heater, but just a nice perfect tempeture in my home.
For any one who does not have a themostate in their home and want to keep their T's at a good temp. I think sometime like this is the way to go. No expensive heating pads and rocks and lights to worry about that could dry out and overheat your T's.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Wade said:
Those oil-filled heaters are the best IMO. They don't dry the air as badly as fan-driven ceramic heaters and are also less of a fire hazzard.
Wade

O.K. these things sound great, but are they a fire hazard AT ALL? Reason I ask, my Doberman needs a new heat source in his house. He usually has a 100 watt bulb on a drop light and that HAS been sufficient up until now! It's been as low at 29F overnight, and he WON'T wear a coat! He usually doesn't bother his heat source, he's very bright, but I'm wondering if one of these things would be safe outside in a dog house?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
MizM said:
O.K. these things sound great, but are they a fire hazard AT ALL? Reason I ask, my Doberman needs a new heat source in his house. He usually has a 100 watt bulb on a drop light and that HAS been sufficient up until now! It's been as low at 29F overnight, and he WON'T wear a coat! He usually doesn't bother his heat source, he's very bright, but I'm wondering if one of these things would be safe outside in a dog house?
I think it would be GREAT..
You can even touch the surface of most .. there's almost NO chance of a burn either.. and it will turn off automatically if tipped over..

Just make sure you have a cord rated high enough for the distance and the wattage ..

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
MizM said:

Most heaters now a days, have the tip over/ shut off feature. I would suggest maybe a heater designed for outdoor use. Sounds kinda oxymoronic...an outside heater...but I was thinking like the ones used for constuction in the winter. No idea how expensive though.

I do have a suggestion for your dog house though...(if it already isn't)...make sure it's not resting directly on the ground (some scrap wood or bricks), and has a flap for the door (plastic "drapes" they sell at Home Depot). That and a couple of older, warm blankets...and your pooch should be fine in all but very, very cold temps...then they should come inside anyway.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
MizM-

I probably wouldn't chance it in an outdoor siuation, but there's an alternate solution.

There are heat mats made for larger animals in outdoor enclosures, sometimes called "pig blankets" because i think they were originally made for the agriculture business, but they also sell them for dog houses and kenals. Basically, it's a rigid heat mat encased in either plastic or fiberglass. They also come in handy for heating large herps, I use the 6' long 11" wide model from Kane (the manufacturer) for my pythons. If you can't find them at the pet store, see if you can find a feed or farm supply store (might be cheaper than the pet store). They can be used either inside the dog house, or mounted beneath to provide floor heat. Since these are actually made for your situation, they'd be the safest way to go in my opinion.

Here's the site for Kane: http://www.kanemfg.com/polyethheatmat.htm

I think they might be cheaper elsewhere, so search around. Big Apple Herp has them, for example. Sometimes, the manufactures actually charge MORE because they want you to buy through a distributor.

Wade

Last edited:

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
MizM said:
O.K. these things sound great, but are they a fire hazard AT ALL?
That was the frist thing I asked when looking into a heater, becasue I know those space heaters are notoriuos for statring fires. This one seems really safe, has automatic shut off when it gets too hot, and it's on little wheels so it is not sitting directly on the floor.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
WOW! Thanks for a TON of great information!

Deschain: We built him a custom house with ALL those features... he STILL shivers! He drags his "blankies" out each morning and puts them in the first sun to hit the groud and basks!! At night, he drags them back into the house and arranges them to his liking.

Poor guy, dobies have NO body fat and a very short coat. I'll try the heating mats, if the cost isn't prohibitive! If it's STILL not warm enough in there, he's getting his own heater! WITH proper electrical hookup of course!!

THANK YOU!

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MizM said:
Poor guy, dobies have NO body fat and a very short coat. I'll try the heating mats, if the cost isn't prohibitive!
And what's wrong with bringing the baby in the house where he belongs? ;P

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Gene said:
And what's wrong with bringing the baby in the house where he belongs? ;P

I KNEW you could be mean!! See, that wasn't so hard!! ;) ;) ;)

He DOES come in when we're home, but he's a little dickens. At 7-8 years old, he has the energy of a pup, he still forgets that he's not supposed to lift his leg on my new furniture, and he'll DASH into a bedroom and find a tasty morsel to chew on, be it shoes, stuffed animals, books! :eek: And, just when we are getting to the intense part of a movie, he'll start doing his gazelle-jumps-over-the-coffee-table-around-through-the-kitchen acrobatics. He's WONDERFUL!!! :eek:

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MizM said:
I KNEW you could be mean!! See, that wasn't so hard!! ;) ;) ;)

He DOES come in when we're home, but he's a little dickens. At 7-8 years old, he has the energy of a pup, he still forgets that he's not supposed to lift his leg on my new furniture, and he'll DASH into a bedroom and find a tasty morsel to chew on, be it shoes, stuffed animals, books! :eek: And, just when we are getting to the intense part of a movie, he'll start doing his gazelle-jumps-over-the-coffee-table-around-through-the-kitchen acrobatics. He's WONDERFUL!!! :eek:
Sounds like he is wonderful..... I am lucky if my Dane isn't laying on my feet for the entirety of a movie. {D

Was that really mean? :? Really? Truth be told I am a professional meanie. I just didn't want you to see that side of me. ;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Gene said:
Sounds like he is wonderful..... I am lucky if my Dane isn't laying on my feet for the entirety of a movie. {D

Was that really mean? :? Really? Truth be told I am a professional meanie. I just didn't want you to see that side of me. ;)
Nice try! :rolleyes: You couldn't be mean if you were Satan! You're stuck with being a really nice person for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!! ;P ;)

I LOVE DANES, but I think we are hijacking this thread! :eek: We'll have to go start a K-9 thread!! :D

Gene

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MizM said:
I LOVE DANES, but I think we are hijacking this thread! :eek: We'll have to go start a K-9 thread!! :D
Well, we may have derailed the thread for a second or two but I am taking pics of my Ts room, the heater, & the humidifier I use in it for this thread. I will edit them in shortly.

In the mean time I may start a K-9 thread. I have a picture of my Dane with his halloween costume that would make for some excellent fluff. :razz:

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
MizM said:
WOW! Thanks for a TON of great information!

Deschain: We built him a custom house with ALL those features... he STILL shivers! He drags his "blankies" out each morning and puts them in the first sun to hit the groud and basks!! At night, he drags them back into the house and arranges them to his liking.
THANK YOU!
I had a feeling you had already given him a great house with all that stuff...lucky dog. I hope you can figure something out.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Deschain said:
I had a feeling you had already given him a great house with all that stuff...lucky dog. I hope you can figure something out.

Thanks! And I appreciate ALL the help, oh, and so does Duke! :D

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I finally got around to taking some pictures. Here ya go! And also... It has drastically reduced my electric bill! By about $30.00 a month! I am using it as my only source of heat. It heats well enough, that I don't have to use the forced air heaters.

P.S. The digital read-out on the heater isn't messed up.... The flash on the camera just made it look that way.

Attachments

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lyle Beach said:
I finally got around to taking some pictures. Here ya go! And also... It has drastically reduced my electric bill! By about $30.00 a month! I am using it as my only source of heat. It heats well enough, that I don't have to use the forced air heaters.

P.S. The digital read-out on the heater isn't messed up.... The flash on the camera just made it look that way.

I just bought one of these heaters and my main concern is my electric bill. What wattage/setting are you running yours on? Do you run it 24 hours a day? Thanks for any info.

EDIT: One other thing. How does heat tape compare to using a space heater? More economical? More stable temps? Is it safer? I understand space heaters aren't as dangerous as they used to be, just curious.

Last edited:

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
$30 bucks a month

What are you comparing this to? What were you using before?

My oil filled heater is a Noma model, works great, but I am still unclear of the power consumtion, the instructions had no information regarding power usage.

So far I have been maintaining 85 F day and 75 F night temps without using it at all.