Photography tips

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thanks for the tip bio....but unless its free i like to just buy new .....especially something thats going to touch my face....hha...sorry maybe thats a little ocd but ugh...just cant do it, plus this has a 5 year warranty on the one im getting. also i plan on getti ng a couple nuetral lenses to protect the actual lens...now what are some good flashes?....id like a macro ring flash but if i can get the same job done with another flash thats cool too...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
thanks for the tip bio....but unless its free i like to just buy new .....especially something thats going to touch my face....hha...sorry maybe thats a little ocd but ugh...just cant do it, plus this has a 5 year warranty on the one im getting. also i plan on getti ng a couple nuetral lenses to protect the actual lens...now what are some good flashes?....id like a macro ring flash but if i can get the same job done with another flash thats cool too...
Ahh you and I think alike. :)

For a flash the sb-800 will do you just fine. It can be used off the camera in remote mode or on the camera depending on what you are doing. The sb-900 is awesome as well but a bit more money and bigger in size. (would look a bit silly on the D80 too)
I use the 800 a lot for photography of people and have never had a complaint. Maybe one day Ill get the sb-900, with the camera I have now I should just go for it, but I have other things I want before I shell out that kinda cash for another flash.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oh an ps..to clarify this is sold as a ket with a set price, but they let you pick out your own 2 lenses within a certain price range...but i can easily pay the diffrence to get the quality lens not to mention in later days when im enrolled finacial aid will help pay for lenses!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well just got the new camera this rhingis bad a$$.......also i got a new carrying case because my old one was way to small im still reading the manual but as soon as im done ill definatly post alot of pics for you guys...and by the way i wanted to thank all and everyone who commented on the thread and helped me...im sure it wont be the last you here about me and cameras

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congrats on the new camera. Can't wait to see some awesome pics. What did you end up deciding on?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i got the nikon d80 with 2 lenses for 1460....also im new to this camera so the first week my pics may suck....right now im just getting the feel of the added weight....also im going to try and figure out how to size them to put them directly on ab but not sure how to do that yet...s for now they will be on my pic link...and agin these are practice shots

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hahaha...well didnt get what i really wanted but the price was right so...i basically got the standard "kit" unfortunatly because they were sold out of thr macro lens i wanted i got the nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G if-ed and the nikkor 18-135mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED i figure those should be fine for now.....right?

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah looks like crap i know...a bit blurry but im still working out the kinks...so please be patiecent or throw me a tip....

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those lenses will do you good for everything but what you are trying to do with the T's. Once you get a macro lens you will understand what I mean.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Uuuugh. I seriously hope you didn't spend $1400 on the D80 and those two lenses... The D80 w/ 18-135mm kit is $650 on amazon. Also that other lens has been discontinued...

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i know...right. like i said though...the price was right and i drove all the way to town(34 miles) and i had to leave with something....;) . the man said he should get another stock of the macro lenses in next week or so but i dont really know if ill buy one just yet....so for macro you suggest the 50mm fixed? isnt that what you said..? also he said that the sb-900 flash is a little over rated and said he will get a sb 800 for me if i want because he to prefered that himself for the size . guy seems to be honest and its a mom andpop type store...but what i thought was truely funny was he still shoots with a 30 year old 35mm he had since he was in his 20s....and said he wouldnt ever change but the film for it is harder to come by now days...so he is considering it...

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah i know...right. like i said though...the price was right and i drove all the way to town(34 miles) and i had to leave with something....;) . the man said he should get another stock of the macro lenses in next week or so but i dont really know if ill buy one just yet....so for macro you suggest the 50mm fixed? isnt that what you said..? also he said that the sb-900 flash is a little over rated and said he will get a sb 800 for me if i want because he to prefered that himself for the size . guy seems to be honest and its a mom andpop type store...but what i thought was truely funny was he still shoots with a 30 year old 35mm he had since he was in his 20s....and said he wouldnt ever change but the film for it is harder to come by now days...so he is considering it...
Ummm as of right now, I'm suggesting that you return everything you just bought. For the same $1500, you could've gotten a refurb D40x, an 18-200mm and a 60mm macro lens.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
50mm is not for macro. Good portrait lens and I use it outdoors sometimes, but never for macro.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
but what i thought was truely funny was he still shoots with a 30 year old 35mm he had since he was in his 20s....and said he wouldnt ever change but the film for it is harder to come by now days...so he is considering it...
Man, don't be knocking film! Yesterday I decided to go on a hike and in preparation I started packing up my camera gear. I starting throwing in my D300, 18-200mm, 11-16mm, 105 macro... Then I thought, what the heck am I doing? I'm going hiking! I took all that stuff out, loaded up my FM2, 50mm, 28mm, and a few rolls of Fuji Velvia and took off. I then hiked nearly 13 miles, took lots of pics, and had a great time. No way would I have been able to do that with all that other camera gear! I can't wait to get my 22 megapixel scans back from the lab.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well first the 1500 was with an extra 5 year warranty, second i would never buy something thats going to touch my eye , and face used. also wasnt knocking film, i like it to, just thought it was funny how this guy broke down into a story about how hard 35mm film is becoming to find, not to mention his no teeth:D . all in all i feel confident about my choice..i can always get better lenses, flashes in the future. i will be in school this upcoming semester and finacial aid will help pay for more gear. for now im just fiddling around having fun, but soon it will be serious, i already have my foot in the door id say because one of the photographers that does portraits and senoir pics loves my work, id eventually like to work for the missouri conservation magazine or something similar. i look at the oprotunities and im always striving to do better...and i belive thats what a upcoming photographer needs to make it....because yeah its all about the pictures but if you settle on half a$$ pics thats what youl get...so someone who strives after each pic to make the next better should do fine...like i said though...im happy with my choice, and belive me i could have spent way more but figured this was good for now...maybe when i have some classes under my belt and a little more knowledge on stuff ill then be confident in getting better stuff, for now this works though

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK, we're getting a little far away from tarantula chat here, but one last thing. I actually found a pretty good deal for you. New D90, 18-105mm VR, and 70-300 VR for just a tad over what you spent. http://www.adorama.com/INKD90K70.html?searchinfo=d90 kit&item_no=1 I'm sorry, but I really don't see the justification in buying outdated digital equipment. New digital camera gear comes out every 2 years so buying an already 2 year old camera brand new does not make any sense. I'm sorry if I can't convince you otherwise, but hey, its your money.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
OK, this time tarantula related... Proof that your camera doesn't really matter. Can you tell what camera took these two pics? One was a 6 megapixel D40 with the 18-55mm Kit lens, and the other was with the 12 megapixel D300 + 50mm 1.8. (If you've seen my photo thead, you know the answer ;) )