Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on the hatch I hope you will consider parting with some :D

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congratulations :)
I'm also interested in a few if you feel like you have too many ;)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Stefan,

what are you planning on feeding them on? I know fruit flies are probably the easiest, but there seems to be quite a lot of evidence that a fruit fly diet isn;t good for spiderlings. They look a bit too small for micro-crickets as well...

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

as you may understand, i´m even a "bit" more busy now, than i´ve alreday been before...:8o

Just some quick answers:

There´ll definitiley be specimen available for purchase, i just can´t take care of THAT lot.

However, the sac hatched just yesterday evening and kept hatching through the night, so the youngs are just as "fresh" as can be.

Therefore, i gonna keep them all together, till they molted for the first time.

Feeding? Right now there´s no prey needed, they still have that yolk (?) from the sac and won´t accept prey until their first molt.

First task however is, to catch the mother out of the tank, damn, i´m a lucky guy. :mad:

Greetings,

Stefan

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello Stefen.

Have you already counted them ? :D
Are they already fast this time ??? Or esasily stressed ?
What happens if you blow on them ? Do they run away or stay and hide in the nest ?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
Hi Stefan,

how many offspring is normaly in a Ctenidae egg sac? Looks like very high number of spiderlings.
Hi Timo,

i´m sorry, i just over-read your question.

How many in a Ctenidae eggsac?

Sorry again, i really don´t know.

Highest documented count in a Phoneutria sac, however, had been 1303...

Don´t think it´s a record number in this one, by pure estimation i´d guess something between 600 and 800....

Still enough.

@ Raqua

Still sorry:

I really don´t feel like blowing at the babies or any other thing just to see how they´d react.
They´re fresh-hatched and still nymphs, so mobility is still very controllable.

Greetings,

Stefan

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Stefan, have you got an update on the little guys?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Gigus said:
Hi Stefan, have you got an update on the little guys?
Hi Gigus,

i have of course an update, not only on these ones, but on several other species aswell.

Problem is i just don´t have the time to post too much right now, as i´m busy with some other "spider-things"...

Just some days of patience.... ;)

Greetings,

Stefan

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
THAT is very impressive, Good work and good luck :clap:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Highest documented count in a Phoneutria sac, however, had been 1303...
Sounds quite low acctually.
The number of escapees in my apartment seemed much higher then that! ;)

Hows it going with the slings? Any more sacks?

The adult female looks very much like a P. nigriventer I had, from the atlantic coast Brazil.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds quite low acctually.
The number of escapees in my apartment seemed much higher then that! ;)

Hows it going with the slings? Any more sacks?

The adult female looks very much like a P. nigriventer I had, from the atlantic coast Brazil.
Hi Lelle,

yeah, it´s the highest number that had been exactly counted. May very well be, they yield even higher numbers with other sacs, but who dares to count....

The slings are ok for now, they have some 1,5cm legspan right now and eat like crazy. Looks like losses will be very few from now on.

Any more sacs? Sure, expecting the second one to hatch every single day now.... Guess soon enough it´ll be time to have a talk with Martin, if yu remember what i mean....

I wouldn´t be too surprised to learn that this specimen is indeed P. nigriventer. Fortunately there´s one hobbyist here in germany who´s quite interested in taxonomy and who alreday agreed to do an exermination, once the lady is dead, so time will make sure.

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

Phoneutria spec. Paraguay - Reloaded

No. 1 is pictured here, No. 2 was a dud, No. 3 was the real deal again, take a look for yourself:

Seems like 200 - 300 or something.

Now it´s feeding time again. My lady seems still to be pretty fit, maybe No. 4 is a realistic option...

Sale is exclusively done by Vogelspinnenzucht

Inquiries welcome.

Have a nice sunday!

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice Steffan! When will the young be up for sale?
Hi Chris,

i dumped the offsprings yesterday, guess selling will start at the beginning of the new year.

Crazy times, just two years ago, when i decided to go back to the Phoneutria´s, everybody was eager to tell how impossible these were to get hold of.

Some 700 days later, there have just some 1200 offsprings at all produced just here, not to mention the other successfull breedings of guys like Thomas and Chris.
Next to that, there are already more sacs cooking from even other Phoneutria species (though not here with me).

To sum it up: once impossible to get hold of one single specimen, now there are three different species (out of five known) here and one species in two colour-forms, as it seems.

Now it´s time for raising and breeding. Next will be to mark P. fera for target... ;)

Greetings,

Stefan

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just goes to show how important captive breeding is, your doing a good thing for the hobby Stefan!

Good luck wit future breedings.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just goes to show how important captive breeding is, your doing a good thing for the hobby Stefan!

Good luck wit future breedings.
Hi,

if this is indeed a good thing is still to be seen...

The producing of the offsprings was just the first step, so far, so ok. Next is keeping them alive and getting them to adulthood, so far (3 inches legspans), so ok.
Success will just then really be achieved, when the offsprings are adult and have produced slings themselfes...

Strange times, many people around here are apparently more than optimistic, regarding the future of Phoneutria in europe. Look what´s around now: P. nigriventer (Sao Paolo), P. spec. Paraguay (P. nigriventer, too?), P. reidyi, P. boliviensis...
Who will do all that breeding? Who has at least realistic chances in succeed in breeding?

There have never been many breeders, but by now, the few there are have never been so lonely.
I´m quite concerned about this. Many people scream "hooray", buy the slings and next to everybody seems to think "oh well, i don´t have to do the breeding, there are the guys who do it".
Well, thanks for that, what, if just one the few breeders won´t have success with his attempts... That could easily wipe the one or another species out of captive care again.

@ Lelle

Gravid WC, unfortunately. If i could have mated her myself, i´d have a male at hands, which means in turn, the species would be taxonomical id´ed by now.

Greetings,

Stefan