Phoneutria spec. - Fresh imported

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi,

thanks for your comments guys!

@ Gigus

Yep, it is big, haven´t seen such a big sized sac so far...
The lady anchored this thing indeed on some web lines, looks like some kind of holding-construct. Not too unusual to my experience, as i´ve seen this with nearly every other Phoneutria sac aswell.

@ MetalDragon_boy

Half way right, P. nigriventer has an incredible mortality, that´s definitily true for most accounts i´ve heard and self-experienced so far.
However, this is not in all cases true for the other species, take the actual "P. nigriventer" slings for an example, that are around in europe by now: they´re of the former "P. keyserlingi" species and are quite ok to raise. Not that easy, but with mortality around 50% i´m not gonna complain. Some other keepers i know of had even lower mortality rates till now, what more can one ask for?
P. fera, which originated from french-guyane and had been bred in germany in the late 90´s is another example: with this species, too, we experienced mortality around 50%, which is plain ok, if one considers the amount of slings per sac.
Another story are still the actual P. fera cf Oyapok: for now i take them as just as easy to raise, as Cupiennius spec., really no big deal. As long as one just keeps them humid, gives them plenty of food and room to molt, they just grow like crazy.
While this all may sound a bit optimistic, i have to point out, that if this sac should hatch, it´s nevertheless back to scratch-board: not all Phoneutria species are that hard to raise, however, nobody knows about this one...
If all plays out to my liking, i´ll hopefully have the chance to find out for myself.

@ Crotalus

Sure, i know that site! Damn right, indeed a good read about this genus, quite rare to find. ;)
Yeah, the sacs produced, now it´s up top hatching.... I really hope that this one will turn out the "real deal", i´ve had enough of that fake sacs...
Will keep you updated.

@ Bile Drunk

Thanks!
Have to admit, the pure size of the sac gets me a bit nervous: i´m well aware, WHAT will come out of that, however, HOW MANY is a very interesting question....
Let me try the answer this way: to my very best knowledge, the highest amount of slings (that had been counted, of course) produced by a Phoneutria was 1303 (TRETZEL 1957)....
For the first sac of course, the follow up contained "only" some 800....
More than enough, i hope, for not only europe, if all works well.

Greetings,

Stefan

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lelle when you bred nigriventer didnt you have alot of babies then? 2000 or something like that?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
Lelle when you bred nigriventer didnt you have alot of babies then? 2000 or something like that?
I didnt count them but I had two sacks hatched out

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
I didnt count them but I had two sacks hatched out
Hi,

exactly.

The number given by me referred to the account of one, single sac.

As Lelle correctly stated, they often produce more than just one. My last wc female produced me three nice (fake) sacs, one after the other...

Max record for produced sacs is 8, if i remember this right, however the last sacs produced only very slim amounts of slings and the spiders died very soon and to 100%...

Given the pure size of this one, i guess, i´d already be satisfied (and the european market flooded), if just one will hatch...

Greetings,

Stefan

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
Hi,

exactly.

The number given by me referred to the account of one, single sac.

As Lelle correctly stated, they often produce more than just one. My last wc female produced me three nice (fake) sacs, one after the other...

Max record for produced sacs is 8, if i remember this right, however the last sacs produced only very slim amounts of slings and the spiders died very soon and to 100%...

Given the pure size of this one, i guess, i´d already be satisfied (and the european market flooded), if just one will hatch...

Greetings,

Stefan
I even had a third sack but it was infertile
Good luck with this one (and yes im interested in slings!) ;)

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
and I'm of course also interested in slings...

´Get in touch when it's time...:)

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

just too hot around here to make much words, so just one has to be enough:

G-R-O-W-I-N-G ! :eek:

Greetings,

Stefan

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Congrats on the babies! Make sure there is no way they can get out... believe me they are escape artists ;)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
congratz Stefan !

that's a HUGE grey cloud of instars :eek:

BugToxin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice!!!:drool: I don't scare easily, but having that lovely spawn in my house might do the trick. :eek:

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMFG Stefan i dont know whether to congratulate or sympathize with that amount of Slings! Goodluck with raising them,

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats Stefan2209! :worship:
Avesome..hope you can raising them easily! ;)
If you wanna get rid of some.....:rolleyes:

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Stefan,

how many offspring is normaly in a Ctenidae egg sac? Looks like very high number of spiderlings.

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Congratulations man!!!

Really nice.

Good luck in separating the slings..:)

Get in touch when it's time...:)

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OMG! Well done Stefan! Good luck rearing those little sweeties. If they were in my house, i'd be giving myself cold sweats by trying to count them everyday....:D