Phoneutria spec. - Fresh imported

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey all,

just got in from Amazonia, a quite massive Phoneutria spec. This lady boost a slim 2" body and ridicolous 6" legspan.
Take a look at that butt and start thinking about offsprings...

Quite interesting for all those, that like to believe in colouration: looks like P. nigriventer but the red marking at the undersite of the abdomen is missing in this specimen....
Also, there´s one other "typical" Phoneutria mark missing in this specimen...

By behavior it´s a quite calm lady, just wants to eat all day... :worship:

Enjoy:

Greetings,

Stefan

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sammyp said:
She's lovely stefan, but OMG - 6 inches??:eek:
Yeah,

6".

They can even get bigger than this..., but it´s still big enough...., for a start.

;)

Greetings,

Stefan

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
Also, there´s one other "typical" Phoneutria mark missing in this specimen...
sorry for my ignorance concerning Phoneutria :8o
but if it's missing a "mark" why are ya sure it's a Phoneutria spec. ? :?

Stefan2209 said:
By behavior it´s a quite calm lady, just wants to eat all day... :worship:
or do you mean it's missing the "typical" behaviour ?

if it's really a not so agressive spec. mmmm i might know someone who would love to take some slings of your hands :razz: ;)

NotaSpider

Arachnopeon
Which is the largest Phoneutria species that you know of Stefan?

For that matter, are they the biggest ctenids?

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello,
She is a whopper!!!!!
Did you return w/ any other species?

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all,

thanks for the interest.

@ Steven:

I´m pretty sure about it being a Phoneutria ssp., as the spider is showing some very typical markings, looks mostly like P. nigriventer which would be fitting by it´s locality.
On the other hand, it´s lacking some of the markings which are said to be present in this species. As i´m not too deep into this markings / colouration thing, i just take this for another clue regarding the varieties of such in this genus.
To my opinion the most strange thing in this spider is it´s very calm temper, quite unusual, from what i know about Phoneutria ssp. I´ve kept such spiders since years and never came across specimen that one could dub "calm or peaceful". Come 2006, this is the second species i get hold of that is just quite calm tempered. The first ones had been the P. fera´s from Oyapok. Interesting, are there more such "pet-Phoneutria" out there?

@ Lelle

Brazil....

Don´t ask how. ;)

@ Notaspider

Whoa, what a question!

Let me answer it this way: this lady is one of the biggest i´ve seen so far, regarding body-size. By legspan, i´ve seen P. fera´s from french-guyane that were bigger. The females of that species had some 16cm legspans (6,3") and the males ridicolous 18cm (7").

As i´ve seen Ancylometes rufus getting even bigger than that, i wouldn´t be surprised to learn that there are still Phoneutria ssp. out there, that can grow even bigger, but it´s hard to talk about certain species here, as much depends on environmental values, like locality and even more important season. Furthermore one has to keep in mind, that there are still many areas in different countries in south-america that are still nearly complete "black holes" when it comes to knowledge about distributed species in that areas. Who knows, what´s lurking around there...

@ Jonathan

I hadn´t been there, so i couldn´t return. :D

No other Phoneutria for that matter....

Greetings,

Stefan

NotaSpider

Arachnopeon
Thanks Stefan.

I guess it was naive of me, because there are probably some equally large species that have not been described yet or that least not very well known.

I only recently figured out that these Ancylometes species were actually Ctenids and not Pisaurids.

This forum is certainly an 'eye opener'.

orcrist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That puts the first and third pictures at approximately lifesize on my monitor.

Wow. That is a beautiful spider.

Are the ctenids the dominant large hunting spiders down there? Or are there lycosa and pisaurids of similar size in that range? I know Dolomedes okefenokensis is supposed to attain up to 6 inches in legspan in the SE USA, so it would be interesting if there were close relatives reaching even larger sizes in the tropics.

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi guys,

@ Notaspider

Not naive to my opinion, info is scarce and often very hard to come by. Even if you manage to find it, you have to re-check it on a regular basis, as even the Pro´s need to re-evaluate the "known facts" quite often.
There´s just too mutch out there, that we just still don´t know....

On the other hand, exactly this makes this hobby so damn interesting, everyday you learn something new... ;)

@ Orcrist

I really don´t know, if one could dub the ctenids "dominant" down there or not. Fact is, that the genus´Ancylometes and Phoneutria boost some of the largest true spiders on the south-american continent, by body-sizes and legspan as well.

There´s very little info about the max sizes of south-american lycosids availbale, but i doubt, that one will find a wolf that reaches 6" legspans. With Pisaurids that could be a different matter, as with some other families... Take Trechaleidae for an example, there are some species within this family that reach 6" legspans, too, however they don´t show that massive bodies that Ancylometes and Phoneutria often display.

NewGriot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Phoneutria

My adult boy of P.nigriventer is still waiting for a gurl :D ;)
Just kidding.

Hope one of the other 5 subadult specimen that I keep will grow to a girl.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOW! Amazing Stefan! you are a very lucky man indeed,That Sac is Huge! is it anchored to the ground by web lines?
Very best of luck with the slings, looks like your in for quite a few!

Tarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good luck with that one!

Sad thing with Phoenutria babies is that they tend to die very very easy.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Best of luck Stefan! The only thing creepier (And by creepy, I mean totally sweet! ;) ) than that big momma will be a jillion of her babies running around her.

Keep us posted. :)

Gary