Philth's non-theraphosid mygalomorph and true spider photo thread.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What i know about them is: they are great climbers, extremely fast, and with a better, good eyesight compared to T's.
About the venom - i don't know why - but i think that are less potent than Phoneutria sp. but definitely not a spider someone wanna get bitten by.
I consider those "Hots", however.
Not about to get one - those are out of my league and I'd frankly feel not comfy with them around. But that Heteropoda lunula has been on my list for as long as 3 years now...I'm just reluctant since no one ever could tell me about their venom strength and the information on the net is so contradicting that I passed them twice when they were offered. Anyways, this is Tom's thread and I don't want to hijack it. Great shots, Tom!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
What i know about them is: they are great climbers, extremely fast, and with a better, good eyesight compared to T's.
About the venom - i don't know why - but i think that are less potent than Phoneutria sp. but definitely not a spider someone wanna get bitten by.
I consider those "Hots", however.
I haven't found all of this to be true. They are fast compared to any tarantulas, but not nearly as fast as some of the Sparassid or Ctenid's (and the Nilus from earlier in this thread) that I'm keeping. They are quite clumsy climbers compared to them as well. But I agree their eye site seems well developed, and any info on their venom out there seems to all be hearsay, with not real proof or documentation on it. So caution is advised when dealing with them.

Anyways, this is Tom's thread and I don't want to hijack it. Great shots, Tom!
Not a problem, discussion is fine as long as its about the spiders in this thread.

Later, Tom

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Heteropoda lunula

Heteropodidae ? Malaysia ( Don't yell at me for the label)

Latrodectus curacavinesis

Harmonicon rufescens

Scytodes sp. Arizona, I think these are the ugliest spiders on the planet. :barf:

Heteropoda sp. "Sumatra Violet" mature male, no pics of the female yet shes holding a sac and dont want to disturb her.

Selenops sp. " I forgot from where ? "

Artema sp ."Israel" ( possibly A. atlanta)

Cupiennius salei mating. I've been calling this a Saint Lucia locality, but new info is pointing to the collectors name was Lucia, and its unclear where they come from lol.

Later, Tom

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
That H. lunula! :O :O :O and that cupiennius spp.! :O :O :O you really want to make me get into true spiders!

Christoffer

Arachnosquire
Amazing thread man. Definately subscribing. Do you put the spiders in the photobooth for mating also? What camera do you use? I am buying a new camera soon and every input on wich to buy is appreciated. I'm getting more and more into true spiders. This thread makes me want 50 more species!
I currently have 2.2 Eratigena atrica (lol), 1.1 Phidippus regius, Heteropoda venatoria, Heteropoda davidbowie, Latrodectus dahli, Stegodyphus lineatus and Viridasius sp. Madagascar - MAAAAN can they run!

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Amazing thread man. Definately subscribing. Do you put the spiders in the photobooth for mating also?
The spiders containers are placed in a larger rubbermaid container, with the lids off, so they can freely roam , run , mate, and hide as they please over night usually. The camera is a old olympus point and shoot, its really nothing special.

Later, Tom

Christoffer

Arachnosquire
The spiders containers are placed in a larger rubbermaid container, with the lids off, so they can freely roam , run , mate, and hide as they please over night usually. The camera is a old olympus point and shoot, its really nothing special.

Later, Tom
Well the pictures are awesome!
Goes to show how much the setup means for the photo:)

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Well the pictures are awesome!
Goes to show how much the setup means for the photo:)
A nice background and the art of manipulating the spider into a nice pose will go a long way. Seeing a crunched up spider trying to hide, next to a plastic plant and water dish that's made in china, through the side of a dirty plastic cage looks fake and unnatural in my opinion. You don't need fancy expensive camera equipment to take a decent photo, but cell phone cameras do suck.

Later, Tom

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is my favorite thread to follow. Awesome, beautiful pics!

So... Gonna have any little lunula scurrying around for us?

Christoffer

Arachnosquire
A nice background and the art of manipulating the spider into a nice pose will go a long way. Seeing a crunched up spider trying to hide, next to a plastic plant and water dish that's made in china, through the side of a dirty plastic cage looks fake and unnatural in my opinion. You don't need fancy expensive camera equipment to take a decent photo, but cell phone cameras do suck.

Later, Tom
Totally agree. "iPhone 6s" and "Samsung galaxy edge 6+ v2.0 To The moon" are the only ones who take somewhat decent pictures

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Heteropoda davidbowie juvie

Another one of those mature male unidentified things from Africa

I suspect that this is the female or that ^

Hyllus giganteus

Cupiennius salei with sac

Heteropoda sp. "Sumatra Violet" female

Later, Tom

JustSomeDude

Arachnopeon
beautiful spiders! I really want a Nephila clavipes although I hear they only live for a year? Is this true?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
beautiful spiders! I really want a Nephila clavipes although I hear they only live for a year? Is this true?
Nephila are not my favorites for captivity. They are all wild caught, and yes, don't live long usually being at the end of their life span. They require a lot of room and are difficult to keep. I've had best luck with them by letting them free in a corner of a room where they can build their huge webs.

Later, Tom

Ran

Arachnoknight
P8210548.jpg P8141387.jpg

Young female Acanthogonatus francki (or pissii) and an adult female Linothele fallax.