Petition! - Please take 2 minutes to help our hobby!

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got a response from senator:

Thanks for getting in touch with me regarding U.S. Postal Service regulations governing the shipping of tarantulas.

At this time, the Senate hasn't considered any legislation related to your concern. However, I've taken the liberty of forwarding your comments to officials at the U.S. Postal Service, and I've asked that they contact you directly. I'm sure they'll be able to provide you with some helpful information, and I'll keep your comments in mind as Postal Service issues are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,

Lamar

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just got 3 more signatures.. I finally got my Mom, PoPs, and Sister to sign this petition.. I am working on others to get it signed even more!!

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't sign, it says my zip code is incorrect? Can it be because I'm from Denmark? :(
Yea, it automatically sends it to your U.S. Senators and Congressmen. Since you're from Denmark, you have none of those. Thanks For the Effort Though!:)

BatGirl

MAJOR
Old Timer
down with usps - let's use the internet or private delivery companies and drive 'em out of business!

I don't know if I'd trust the friggin' post office with a tarantula anyway, something about my being around incompetent government employees for too long I guess. Also, I've seen too much mail delivered to the wrong place, packages lost (no decent tracking system), and insane damage to packages... let them finish shooting themselves in the foot, privatization is better anyhow - so who cares what their bloody policy is? :?

I'd want it delivered by preferably Federal Express (very reliable and professional) and secondly by United Parcel Service (almost as good of a service). :clap:

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Signed. That was all I was going to write, but it said my message was too short and had to be at least 10 characters. This oughta do it.:?

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Can't sign, it says my zip code is incorrect? Can it be because I'm from Denmark? :(
You cant because you are from denmark! it's US only ;S i wish i could sign too x)

//Tiago

Last edited:

drdoody

Arachnopeon
OK, I signed it. I signed it because I don't think that the USPS should refuse to carry spiders. Because that is stupid. And stupid things should be petitioned against.

But who wants the United States Postal Service handling their spiders? Since moving to Fresno two years ago, I've had five Netflix movies stolen, one package that never arrived and two that got here, but had been cut open and cherrypicked over. And things weren't all that better in Texas. The USPS is a morass of bureaucratic ineptitude that makes North Korea like a Swiss watch. Seriously, if there's ever a nuclear war and the highest guy left in the Chain Of Command is the Postmaster General, shoot yourself. In the face. With a bazooka. Because there is no way in Hell you want to be involved in anything that is in any way associated with the US Postal Service. They're just that bad.

Sure, if you want your spiders shipped USPS, you should be able to. But there is no way I'm going to do that to myself or my spiders.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got this back:

Thank you for contacting me about U.S. Postal Service guidelines on shipping tarantulas through the mail. I understand your concerns.

As you may know, the U.S. Postal Service currently prohibits the shipment of tarantulas through the mail because of their classification as harmful by the Postal Service's guidelines. Currently, there is no legislation pending before the Senate that would address this classification. Should related legislation come before me for a vote, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator
Seeing how there is no legislation currently pending about this, is there any way to get some legislation going?

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Got a reply from Congressman Ron Kind today. Pure stock letter.

Dear Travis:

Thank you for contacting me about animal rights. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As we share the planet with the numerous species of birds, mammals, fish, and other forms of life, it is important to take into consideration the effects of modern society on all creatures, big and small.

The treatment of animals is an issue that concerns many people and, as a pet owner myself, I will continue to support and follow the progress of animal rights in Congress. Much can be done to improve or update practices that are cruel by today's standards. Please be assured that should this legislation regarding such issues come before the House of Representatives, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me with your concerns. Please let me know if you have further questions on this or any other issue. I also encourage you to visit my Web site, www.house.gov/kind, where you can find updated information, sign up to receive my electronic newsletter, and send me e-mail.

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
responce

U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

Thank you for writing to express your support for a proposal to redefine the United States Postal Service's (USPS) mailing standards to allow the shipping of tarantulas. I appreciate hearing from you and apologize for the delay in my response.

I directed a member of my staff to contact the USPS about this issue. The USPS states that they are aware of this proposal and are reviewing suggestions to redefine their standards for shipping tarantulas. Currently, the USPS categorizes poisonous reptiles, insects, and spiders such as tarantulas as nonmailable animals under "Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail." However, nonpoisonous and non-disease-conveying insects and spiders are permitted under special handling postage.