PetCo Conference Call Info

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't understand you guys. There has been many times to some of you want to stick with original threads now we're going back and forth from one thread to another. It's flipping annoying. Thanks a lot mi amigo! viper69.
Hola mi amigo,

I purposely kept my information out of the other thread because I was tired of reading nothing but rants about corporations. I did not want the information I had learned "surrounded" by the muddied waters of such diatribe, justified or not. I have long been here and read enough rants to know how those threads turn out.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hola mi amigo,

I purposely kept my information out of the other thread because I was tired of reading nothing but rants about corporations. I did not want the information I had learned "surrounded" by the muddied waters of such diatribe, justified or not. I have long been here and read enough rants to know how those threads turn out.
But the problem is as you know there's still going to be rants on this thread too. Not only that but also is a little frustrating going from one thread to another when the other thread had good info. Sometimes you just got to ignore some of the bs that gets posted by other members.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
@viper69 I really appreciate your phone call with corporate. Glad to hear that Petco was willing to hear you out and thank you for taking this step for the hobby.

I visited a couple of Petco shop this weekend. The one in particular that stood in my mind is the location in Midvale UT. Other than the employee who showed me where the T's are made her own remarks about "These things need to be stomped". The manager was willing to listen.

When I mentioned that some of the spiders can lead to someone get seriously hurt... He mentioned that he is going to bring it up during a meeting with corporate.

My fiancé and I were incredibly mad when we saw these T's for 3 reasons. Staff members who treat the animals with disgust and have no qualms with any animals they find disgusting to be abused or killed. The sponges... The slings are kept on sponges. I can understand from a view point of "displaying product" but, a inch of vermiculate will be better for the long run. Some T's most likely will be sitting at Petco for quite some time. Finally, OW's being available. Whenever my fiancé and I bring up tarantulas, there is a surprising amount of people who believe pet stores won't sell anything that isn't defang or "trained". There is someone that is going to make that mistake.

I hope we get a new wave of enthusiasts but, there is going to a be aaaaaaaaaaaaa lot of misinformation that we will need to clear up. Not a lot of people are going to understand that most species will out live Mr. buttons and Fido.

I think the next best route is for us in the hobby to a prep some very well rounded and detailed care sheets of the listed species for sale. There are going to be a lot of people doing google searches. We all acknowledge that general care sheets are lacking and most of us experienced keepers can simply just wing what the care is required for most species. We basically need to make care sheets look like those illustrated bibles they make for kids. Storm76 has made some INCREDIBLE posts about Ts. One of his posts made me visit a LPS to just pick a P.irmina sling.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sometimes you just got to ignore some of the bs that gets posted by other members.
Agreed, this wasn't one of those times for me. This thread has remained relatively clean compared to the other one.

On the internet misery loves company, and that thread has a lot of misery.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Their large well known "breeder" is Vista pet , which is a division of LLL Reptile.

Later, Tom
:vomit:

Well I'm supposed to get my conference call any day now. I'll also address these concerns, but by the sounds of it they may be listening. To an extent.
Well, I hope you compose yourself better on that call than you do here on the boards. ;) Remember, when you do things like this, you are talking in a way for the hobby's behalf. Be professional and not emotional. Good luck. :)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
:vomit:

Well, I hope you compose yourself better on that call than you do here on the boards. ;) Remember, when you do things like this, you are talking in a way for the hobby's behalf. Be professional and not emotional. Good luck. :)
Well I don't think I'll ever get my call, it's been 3 days since they said they would, and there's been nothing. A shame, but my hope and thought is that viper changed them enough to where they didn't feel a need to.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
After a trip to my local Petco this morning they told me that if they even decide to carry Ts , which more than likely they won't , they would be sold only to adults . They were very nice and even offered to get the area supervisor on the phone if I wanted . I don't know they thought I was there to complain about the idea of them selling Ts but they were at least resceptive to the idea of discussing the topic . I have to admit I'm suprised. Maybe they will handle this T situation the right way .

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have been in touch with Petco Corp today, I have some very exciting news. Will post when I have time later today or early tomorrow.

They are definitely reading our threads, esp the Petco threads., this was communicated to me.

As @advan smartly wrote, it's up to each to remember we represent the hobby. You can reply to Petco as a sensible human being, or as a crazed lunatic. We've seen both responses on here.

These are professionals remember that in your responses when you/if you speak with them.

Last edited:

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for your effort to defending this hobby. I think I speak for everyone on this site when I say that. Great work!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
After a trip to my local Petco this morning they told me that if they even decide to carry Ts , which more than likely they won't , they would be sold only to adults . They were very nice and even offered to get the area supervisor on the phone if I wanted . I don't know they thought I was there to complain about the idea of them selling Ts but they were at least resceptive to the idea of discussing the topic . I have to admit I'm suprised. Maybe they will handle this T situation the right way .

I encountered this as well in my local area. Ultimately that type of behavior will vary, it's a good start. I hope it remains this way. Ts are great animals, but they aren't goldfish. I think Petco recognizes this to some degree.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
The manager did say that the store does have a hobbyist on their staff , although I personally did get to meet him/her . I am assuming that this employee might of had some input in the decision . We only have one Petco here in town and they have only been open for about a month so we will see how it goes . I must say that I do like the idea of our hobby becoming a little more mainstream as long as it's done the right way . It's true that Ts aren't goldfish and I hope that they are never treated that way . How many of those poor little guys died because pet stores use to tell people that they could be kept in tiny little bowls .

cold blood

Staff member
I have been in touch with Petco Corp today, I have some very exciting news. Will post when I have time later today or early tomorrow.

They are definitely reading our threads, esp the Petco threads., this was communicated to me.

As @advan smartly wrote, it's up to each to remember we represent the hobby. You can reply to Petco as a sensible human being, or as a crazed lunatic. We've seen both responses on here.

These are professionals remember that in your responses when you/if you speak with them.
Thanks Chris, I look forward to your update.

So far it appears Petco is listening...I hope the in-store care and the out going care sheets given are addressed and taken seriously, because if that doesn't change for the better, it really doesn't matter much IMO. Too many in the past have been frustrated by employees telling them "that's how corporate demands they are kept, even if we know better, we aren't allowed to change a thing". Upgrading that information to employees and buyers is critical as many new buyers will not realize boards like this exist and will take the stores info as "gold" (as we see and correct almost daily)....if its actually a pile of dung and not quality info, it helps no one, from the stores to the buyers.

So far, props to Petco for listening to true hobbyists and I hope you are right and they are reading these threads with an open mind and positive attitude....getting us on their side, or at least not on the opposite sides, is critical for their long term success and reputation with their animals.

If need be, I would be more than happy to offer care assistance information....if they are willing to use it.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Having a hobbyist as an employee is no guarantee that the animals will be cared for appropriately. As CB says, corporate often sets the standards, and those standards are often ridiculous. PetSmart requires sponges in water dishes, for example, and there's nothing an associate can do about it without getting in trouble the next time the district manager comes around. I suppose it would help with appropriate treatment of the animal, instead of some of the mishandling I've seen at Petco, though.

Again, the best we can hope for is that the P&Ps are modified to better suit the needs of the animals and the staff is appropriately trained.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello All,

I can update you with the exciting news I heard from Petco corporate today. In short, they will not be offering OW Ts, they have reconsidered in light of my phone call, and perhaps from reading the thread. Below is a portion of the email.

CB: I will be inquiring about the care sheets. They told me they would welcome any help previously. I agree if not used at all, it's not worth anyone's time. I'd be surprised if they were not interested.

@Lander9021 I know you didn't believe it was possible, that one person can't make a difference, that Petco was paying lip service to a "few hobbyists" as you put it previously. You are mistaken again.

"I’ve been checking out the thread and appreciate you updating the group about our conversation. We will definitely not be moving forward with any Old World spiders. The containers will still have them listed for the time being, but we won’t be receiving any. We need to get the labels re-printed once we’ve identified other NW species that we can include in the mix. If you, or the other members of your group have any suggestions we’re definitely open to them. Even if they are species that aren’t available in large numbers now, we may be able to work with our supplier to setup breeding projects to increase supply so we can make them available. I’ve also spoken to our supplier about the sizing of the individuals we’ve been receiving. They agreed to a minimum of nickel sized spiderlings going forward. Thanks again for your input!"

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Hello All,

I can update you with the exciting news I heard from Petco corporate today. In short, they will not be offering OW Ts, they have reconsidered in light of my phone call, and perhaps from reading the thread. Below is a portion of the email.

CB: I will be inquiring about the care sheets. They told me they would welcome any help previously. I agree if not used at all, it's not worth anyone's time. I'd be surprised if they were not interested.

@Lander9021 I know you didn't believe it was possible, that one person can't make a difference, that Petco was paying lip service to a "few hobbyists" as you put it previously. You are mistaken again.

"I’ve been checking out the thread and appreciate you updating the group about our conversation. We will definitely not be moving forward with any Old World spiders. The containers will still have them listed for the time being, but we won’t be receiving any. We need to get the labels re-printed once we’ve identified other NW species that we can include in the mix. If you, or the other members of your group have any suggestions we’re definitely open to them. Even if they are species that aren’t available in large numbers now, we may be able to work with our supplier to setup breeding projects to increase supply so we can make them available. I’ve also spoken to our supplier about the sizing of the individuals we’ve been receiving. They agreed to a minimum of nickel sized spiderlings going forward. Thanks again for your input!"
This is wonderful! I'm glad you an Jose were able to make a difference, as the rep I got barely knew how to work e-mail..

cold blood

Staff member
I can't recall the species list, but there is a host of Eauthlus species that would be better choices....vagans or any Brachy really as well, I just threw vagans (and albo, really) out there because they are easily bred, abundant and as a result very inexpensive....and of course the common denominator among all these species is that they are all excellent "beginner" species.

The care sheets are important though, especially from Petco's point of view...see, if care is followed to the letter and people's slings keep dying, people aren't going to blame the care sheets (as they will trust them), what they will believe, and the rep it could easily lead to is...Petco isn't selling healthy animals as they keep dying prematurely...while that may not be the case, its the conclusion people will reach as they won't have a clue its because the care suggested was totally inaccurate.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@cold blood Actually one of the species they are considering is a Brachy, I learned this in my initial phone conversation. Of course I told them, "Yes" on that.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Happy I made a call. I dont think it was corp. but at least the branch manager took my notes down. Great job everyone who decided to call/email. It seems to have done the trick.
:)

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hello All,

I am amazed.

Munax

Arachnosquire
What other NW were discussed. I don't want to seem like a jerk and you're free to respectfully disagree, but I don't really like the idea of making the really rare and expensive species like G pulchras, X immanis, and H. Pulchripes for sale in such large quantities. I think it's unfair for people who have waited and spent $$ for these special species, and I think these rarities should stay rarities.

That's just my 2 cents.