People that handle their hot T's

RoseT

Arachnosquire
side winder?....huh? lol....i dont know, i mean theres people that enjoy this type of stuff i guess...power and luck to those that make it happen...Ill just sit back and trip out on you dudes...hahaha

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't see the problem with the way that he was handling his tarantulas. I watched the video a couple times and what I can say is that he was that he set the area up in a way that would let him make a good video while keeping himself and his tarantulas relatively safe.

I guarantee he isn't the first person to have taken his shirt off before handling his tarantula. I've done this and I've read of others on this site doing this. It lets you know where the tarantula is when it runs to your back. I can't see any downside in this at all.

He is working with the tarantulas in a wide open space, so if they jet, like one did, he would have no problem getting the spider back.

He was working on the ground, so if the the spider fell, like it did when he flinched when he thought he was going to get tagged, it wouldn't have very far to fall. And lets think about this a little bit more. He is working with arborials. It is common for them to jump and take bigger falls than what we saw on this video.

Fact of the matter, is that neither he, nor his tarantulas were harmed during this video and it appeared that he got some really nice shots with his camera.

This definitely isn't something that most people should do. He seemed like he was pretty comfortable doing it and if he got bit, I'm going to imagine he'd take it like a man.

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

I've been wondering the same thing, but have recently seen a few videos of people handling pokies that seem downright calm and docile...
I've been seeing more posts lately about the supposed docile nature of pokies and they looked pretty docile in the videos that you posted. But the bite reports for these guys seem like something that I don't ever want to experience, so for now and probably forever, I'll just have to enjoy other people's pics and vids...but damn, they are gorgeous.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to add that some pictures may not have been done on purpose. Sometimes an opportunity may present itself.

I always keep a camera around when rehousing so I can get new pictures while the tarantula is out in the open. Sometime they take off & end up on me, & i'll snap a pic. That I get them off me as quickly & calmly as possible :)

rabidchipmunk91

Arachnopeon
The only time I'll handle mine is if they get out and I don't have a container to catch them with. I just don't see the point.

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought it was interesting, and significant, that his attitude toward the possibility of a bite was matter-of-fact, but he drew the line at handling an A genic, because of the hairs.

This guy is quite experienced, as evidenced by the adroit way he anticipates the pokie's every (quick) move - if could be a circus act!

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There is certainly some fascination with handling a hotter T, if I ever do it.. it is from a freshly molted individual..

This one had molted a couple of days prior to this and it's fangs were dark red and not fully hardened... This could be instilling me with a false sense of confidence but I chanced it.

[YOUTUBE]zsjEl82Thd4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

tebs

Arachnopeon
Why do some people get upset when tarantulas are handled? Some even judge the person base on the fact of handling Ts.... c'mon get over it...it's a matter of preference....no wrong no right....handling a T doesn't make you more or less of a person.....some people like to handle them some don't...some like rice some like bread....some think too much body building is the same as being morbidly obese, then some thinks its hot...it's preference, it's perspective.... :D

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Why do some people get upset when tarantulas are handled? Some even judge the person base on the fact of handling Ts.... c'mon get over it...it's a matter of preference....no wrong no right....handling a T doesn't make you more or less of a person.....some people like to handle them some don't...some like rice some like bread....some think too much body building is the same as being morbidly obese, then some thinks its hot...it's preference, it's perspective.... :D
I judge b/c it's stressful and shows a lack of respect for the spider. I can understand handling of a docile species here and there, but this pretty bold and stupid.

There's a difference between bravery and stupidity :wall:

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
And Fran think tebs need Hulk smash{D!

--Dan

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hahahaha that made me chuckle when his T bolted, seeing him scamper after it like a monkey. {D
Gonna have to add this one to a playlist.

Dam that thing can move though :eek:... S.Calciatum has got to be in the top 3 fastest T's.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bold is when someone acts in spite of the apparent danger. Stupid is when someone acts without knowledge.

The guy in the video knew the dangers and did what he could to mitigate those dangers. So he may be bold, but I wouldn't call him stupid.

You gotta understand that everyone is different and that its not fair to judge everyone by the same rulebook. Everyone is different just like every tarantula is different. I think its safe to say we all still remember the rosehair conversation that got way out of hand from from the other day.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bold is when someone acts in spite of the apparent danger. Stupid is when someone acts without without knowledge.

The guy in the video knew the dangers and did what he could to mitigate those dangers. So he may be bold, but I wouldn't call him stupid.

You gotta understand that everyone is different and that its not fair to judge everyone by the same rulebook. Everyone is different just like every tarantula is different. I think its safe to say we all still remember the rosehair conversation that got way out of hand from from the other day.
Agreed,

It is apparent he is not an amatuer, but he knows fully that he is taking risks.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I judge b/c it's stressful and shows a lack of respect for the spider. I can understand handling of a docile species here and there, but this pretty bold and stupid.

There's a difference between bravery and stupidity :wall:
What's the difference between handling a docile, and a more nervous species? Are you saying the stress levels are different?

I've handled most of the Ts I've had, pokies and all(only when moving enclosures or when I've just popped em out of the package though), and I know the risks. I have never done it to show that I'm "brave". There have never been any adverse effects on the Ts I've handled.

I don't understand all the fuss with people handling their Ts, as long as it's done with the least danger possible to the animal.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
What's the difference between handling a docile, and a more nervous species? Are you saying the stress levels are different?

I've handled most of the Ts I've had, pokies and all(only when moving enclosures or when I've just popped em out of the package though), and I know the risks. I have never done it to show that I'm "brave". There have never been any adverse effects on the Ts I've handled.

I don't understand all the fuss with people handling their Ts, as long as it's done with the least danger possible to the animal.
it's stressful... I prefer to leave it where it's comfortable.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry, but doing something that is potentially dangerous ,and medically detrimental towards your own self, for the heck of it , with no benefict whatsoever for either parts, it is stupidity in my book.

I dont give much credit to a guy with 9 fingers due to his "bravery".

PS: To the guy that mixed bodybuilding with this... Its 9 o clock, let me give you a comb. :?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Sorry, but doing something that is potentially dangerous ,and medically detrimental towards your own self, for the heck of it , with no benefict whatsoever for either parts, it is stupidity in my book.

I dont give much credit to a guy with 9 fingers due to his "bravery".
nature is scary... I had my fill of adrenaline and scary "stuff" in the Army.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I've always preferred the "pet fish" view on handling spiders. Pretty to look at , no need to handle.

Later, Tom