Genus Pamphobeteus

Odium

Arachnopeon
Interesting feature about P. nigricolor "hobby form".

Though mine stopped growing several years ago, after last molt she finally lost her "lightning" marks completely and turned much darker:
IMG_20230307_174356.jpg
Previous molt (2021, lightning pattern remaining):
IMG_20230307_174333.jpg

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
0.1 Pamphobeteus sp. "manabi", CB 6.25" female (note: lighter color than other manabi)
View attachment 436874
Any idea how come the adult female Pamphobeteus sp. Manabi you show here looks nothing like the only other adult female I could find a picture of, shown below? Is it a different colour form? A different species? Just at a different stage in its lifecycle than the other one? Could yours have been mislabeled? Or do you have no way of knowing why it looks different? In any case, I certainly like the colours on yours better.

Pamphobeteus spec. Manabi (Ecuador)

View attachment 123814
adult female
This is the only other photo I was able to find on AB of a (supposed) adult female Pamphobeteus sp. Manabi. It certainly looks a lot different from yours.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Any idea how come the adult female Pamphobeteus sp. Manabi you show here looks nothing like the only other adult female I could find a picture of, shown below? Is it a different colour form? A different species? Just at a different stage in its lifecycle than the other one? Could yours have been mislabeled? Or do you have no way of knowing why it looks different?
Given that Pamphos are a mess...maybe all of the above.

Thread tax (old pics but whatever)

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Any idea how come the adult female Pamphobeteus sp. Manabi you show here looks nothing like the only other adult female I could find a picture of, shown below? Is it a different colour form? A different species? Just at a different stage in its lifecycle than the other one? Could yours have been mislabeled? Or do you have no way of knowing why it looks different? In any case, I certainly like the colours on yours better.

This is the only other photo I was able to find on AB of a (supposed) adult female Pamphobeteus sp. Manabi. It certainly looks a lot different from yours.
Where Pamphos are in their molt cycle has a ton to do with their appearance. Many species will go from very dark right after a molt, to very light right before a molt, or vice-versa. Based on the pics you linked, I'd guess that P. sp. Manabi is one that is lighter in color shortly after molting and darkens significantly towards the end of the molt cycle. For example, here's my 6.5" DLS male P. sp. nigricolor (Ecuador) about 3 weeks post molt:

And this is what he looked like 2 days prior to molting:
1683834666449.png

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
Where Pamphos are in their molt cycle has a ton to do with their appearance. Many species will go from very dark right after a molt, to very light right before a molt, or vice-versa. Based on the pics you linked, I'd guess that P. sp. Manabi is one that is lighter in color shortly after molting and darkens significantly towards the end of the molt cycle. For example, here's my 6.5" DLS male P. sp. nigricolor (Ecuador) about 3 weeks post molt:

And this is what he looked like 2 days prior to molting:
View attachment 445097
That makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. All tarantulas' colouration changes slightly as their colours fade over the time since their last molt. I suppose this colour change is especially pronounced in Pamphobeteus spp. which are like the chameleons of the tarantula world, changing their colours with each molt as they grow.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I don't even like pink, but you got me stunned with the magnificence of these T's

The middle pic is unreal