Genus Pamphobeteus

babelfish

Arachnosquire
here is a 'new' and exciting species of the genus Pamphobeteus:

adult female

subadult female

semi- or subadult male

exciting is the the finding place of this species, namely Rio Dagua, which is the type locality of Pamphobeteus ornatus, Pocock 1903.

babelfish

Arachnosquire
another highland species (1900m), found in a rather wet and cool habitat in Colombia and known as sp. Montana in the Hobby.

adult female

juvenile

spiderling with interesting abdominal pattern

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
P.pedersi(f)_6.5in_1dayPostMolt_1.jpg
You don't see many pics of this rare species especially 1-day post molt. This is one of my favorite tarantulas because they are large-growing (to 8.5"+), active and display well, eat frequently and on big prey and they are beautiful with the scarlet red abdominal hairs with flat black-jet black legs and carapace with scarlet fringe hairs along the top of the mandibles.

babelfish

Arachnosquire
highland species from Colombia (1800m), known as Pamphobeteus sp. Conani.
adult female

Last edited:

babelfish

Arachnosquire
Pamphobeteus verdolaga Cifuentes, Perafán & Estrada-Gomez, 2016.
altitudes up to 2200m, Colombia.
adult female

babelfish

Arachnosquire
there's no connection or correlation between the hobby aff. nigricolor and verdolaga.
only the same name for two different species.
and in one case this given name is probably completely senseless.

YakFisher

Arachnopeon
I purchased two of these as P. sp. esmeralda from a private collection a few months ago. Any thoughts on this being the proper identification for them? They just got rid of their juvenile color and pattern with their last molt a week or so ago. They are about 2-2.5".
IMG_20171223_054805_898.jpg IMG_20180203_220424_181.jpg

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I purchased two of these as P. sp. esmeralda from a private collection a few months ago. Any thoughts on this being the proper identification for them? They just got rid of their juvenile color and pattern with their last molt a week or so ago. They are about 2-2.5"
I would try uploading these to Tarantula Identification.