Only legal Isopods in United States according to USDA

CanebrakeRattlesnake

Arachnosquire
I was going to just collect some from my back yard while waiting to get a permit (still haven't applied yet) but of course the species I see the most and have the most interest in, Porcellio spinicornis, isn't on the list.

original.jpg

They have the cutest little green spots! :bigtears:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
If you are finding these in your backyard, and you are collecting them in state you should not require a containment facility, as they are a naturalized species. If however, you order them from someone out of state, or start selling them out of state, then they will require a facility. This mildly ridiculous situation highlights just how in flux isopod law is... to be honest its a bit of a hot mess. At the very basics, any isopods in your backyard caught in your backyard will not require a permit or containment facility, while anything you order or sell out of state, will at least require a permit.
There are designed loopholes in this. For example, though Oniscus asselus would normally require a permit, as I collected mine in state I can keep them without one.

As for which species you should apply for, I would say these fourteen. Containment facilities for isopods, though possible to create, are still a bit of a pain, so it is (in my opinion) best just to get permitted for those species which don't require one. I know its really confusing (god knows its taken me months to figure this out and I'm still learning) but it is also important. For more info, I recommend the following thread:
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/isopod-law.323571/

CanebrakeRattlesnake

Arachnosquire
If you are finding these in your backyard, and you are collecting them in state you should not require a containment facility, as they are a naturalized species. If however, you order them from someone out of state, or start selling them out of state, then they will require a facility. This mildly ridiculous situation highlights just how in flux isopod law is... to be honest its a bit of a hot mess. At the very basics, any isopods in your backyard caught in your backyard will not require a permit or containment facility, while anything you order or sell out of state, will at least require a permit.
There are designed loopholes in this. For example, though Oniscus asselus would normally require a permit, as I collected mine in state I can keep them without one.

As for which species you should apply for, I would say these fourteen. Containment facilities for isopods, though possible to create, are still a bit of a pain, so it is (in my opinion) best just to get permitted for those species which don't require one. I know its really confusing (god knows its taken me months to figure this out and I'm still learning) but it is also important. For more info, I recommend the following thread:
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/isopod-law.323571/
Thank you so much! Honestly I think I'll just get a permit for the 14 species and stick to them along with some other assorted bugs. I wish they would at least write these laws in ways that weren't so convoluted and messy. :shifty:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Thank you so much! Honestly I think I'll just get a permit for the 14 species and stick to them along with some other assorted bugs. I wish they would at least write these laws in ways that weren't so convoluted and messy. :shifty:
More clarity would be nice for sure. But they are just trying to protect agriculture and native wildlife. At the end of the day it's for the best (though I know there are many who would argue with me on that ;) ).

CanebrakeRattlesnake

Arachnosquire
More clarity would be nice for sure. But they are just trying to protect agriculture and native wildlife. At the end of the day it's for the best (though I know there are many who would argue with me on that ;) ).
Yes, exactly. Sometimes it's hard to remember that even if you can keep something with no issue and prevent it from becoming an invasive species there are other collectors out there who won't be so careful.

...At least that's what I tell myself whenever I feel sad that I'll never be able to get Achatina fulica :lol:

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I wish the laws were more clear too, my first isopods I thought I had to hide them because I thought I needed a permit to keep but the shop was not clear and USDA website did not say which needed a permit

Spyro

Arachnopeon
Well, Florida denied 9 of the 14 species I applied for on my permit. Make sure you do not sell to ppl in Florida! Some of these species denied are SUPER POPULAR with buyers. Hope this helps others! AB970F45-B400-4D92-8325-A06B50AAF712.jpeg

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Well, Florida denied 9 of the 14 species I applied for on my permit. Make sure you do not sell to ppl in Florida! Some of these species denied are SUPER POPULAR with buyers. Hope this helps others! View attachment 375953
Oof. I am sorry, but not surprised. Florida is EXTREMELY strict about inverts, and is trying to crack down on some of the invert and vertebrate exotics that are all over the state. Not that that's working very well, but theyre trying.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Wow! You can’t blame Florida as they have problems with invasive species.

If you don’t mind me asking, what Isopods does Floridia allow?

Last edited:

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Just got my permit for Alabama! I can now buy and ship the following Isopods to that state. Couldn’t be happier!

Armadillidium klugii
Armadillidium maculatum
Armadillidium nasatum
Armadillidium vulgare
Atlantoscia floridana
Cubaris murina
Cylisticus convexus
Oniscus asellus
Porcellio laevis
Porcellio scaber
Porcellio spinicornis
Porcellionides floria
Porcellionides pruinosus
Porcellionides virgatus
Rhyscotus texensis
Trachelipus rathkii
Trichorhina tomentosa
Venezillo parvus

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
If the USDA APHIS realizes that many are not following the rules, they will change them, and the future of this hobby will be at stake.
Incorrect, they are already aware. I have spent many hours on the phone with different USDA senior entomologists (Carlos Blanco is one of them), and they have all admitted that it is well-known how prevalent illegal species are in the hobby. A simple Google search for "orchid mantis for sale", and there is USMantis, Pan Terra Pets, Mantis Place, Mantid Kingdom, and Mantis Zoo all on the first page of results. Despite this prominent, illegal activity, those sites all seem to be escaping repercussions.
This was the case with the African Gaint Millipede. They were imported, and imported, and imported until it became illegal to have the imported. This is a very sad incident in that the well being the animals populations were forgotten.
This is not quite accurate. While this whole scenario is one of the most confusing issues I have encountered, the permits for these are actually a simple matter to obtain. I have the permits to purchase Archispirostreptus gigas from any source in the Continental US without needing a containment facility. The evidence that there is not a ban on the hobby is that I cannot find them in the museum networks either. I have connections with many insectariums across the country, and I do not know of any importations occurring anywhere. My understanding of their disappearance is that the suppliers in the source countries were stopped from selling, although again, I do not think the concern was the millipedes themselves. If you can find sources in the US, then the permits may be worth pursuing.
This is correct. As far as shipping them without plant material. After applying for my permits, I was only able to get the permits signed and issued to me by agreeing to ship the isopods using paper towels or sphagnum moss. No soil is allowed not even soil from their rearing bins. Hope this helps others. This morning I was issued another 7 PPQ permits! Yay!
Coconut coir should also be allowed if you want. You can request it to be allowed on the permit if the proposed conditions prohibits it.
I don’t think that is funny. That is really sad.
The rules are the rules wether you agree or disagree.
The regulations seem to vary arbitrarily depending on the official relaying the information. I know other hobbyists locally who were not aware of the regulations, and considering one of the hobbyists in question actually works at the local USDA branch, this means that the understanding of the regulation varies. So while the technical authorities on the matter (the aforementioned senior entomologists) have laid out the regulations as stated on my site, there seem to be discrepancies when the subordinates are conveying the rules. In which case, do not condemn other hobbyists on the basis of regulatory negligence as there is a potential that they have been given very different information by the others at the USDA or by state agricultural officials, depending on who they asked.

isopodgeek

Arachnosquire
Incorrect, they are already aware. I have spent many hours on the phone with different USDA senior entomologists (Carlos Blanco is one of them), and they have all admitted that it is well-known how prevalent illegal species are in the hobby. A simple Google search for "orchid mantis for sale", and there is USMantis, Pan Terra Pets, Mantis Place, Mantid Kingdom, and Mantis Zoo all on the first page of results. Despite this prominent, illegal activity, those sites all seem to be escaping repercussions.

This is not quite accurate. While this whole scenario is one of the most confusing issues I have encountered, the permits for these are actually a simple matter to obtain. I have the permits to purchase Archispirostreptus gigas from any source in the Continental US without needing a containment facility. The evidence that there is not a ban on the hobby is that I cannot find them in the museum networks either. I have connections with many insectariums across the country, and I do not know of any importations occurring anywhere. My understanding of their disappearance is that the suppliers in the source countries were stopped from selling, although again, I do not think the concern was the millipedes themselves. If you can find sources in the US, then the permits may be worth pursuing.

Coconut coir should also be allowed if you want. You can request it to be allowed on the permit if the proposed conditions prohibits it.

The regulations seem to vary arbitrarily depending on the official relaying the information. I know other hobbyists locally who were not aware of the regulations, and considering one of the hobbyists in question actually works at the local USDA branch, this means that the understanding of the regulation varies. So while the technical authorities on the matter (the aforementioned senior entomologists) have laid out the regulations as stated on my site, there seem to be discrepancies when the subordinates are conveying the rules. In which case, do not condemn other hobbyists on the basis of regulatory negligence as there is a potential that they have been given very different information by the others at the USDA or by state agricultural officials, depending on who they asked.
I am really sorry for the false information everyone. My apologies.