Newbie reminder

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I also see both sides. To the old timers, aspire to teach. I also use the search button, and such an avenue of research can be difficult and time consuming, as one must wade through many, many posts that don't hold the answer sought. Some of the comments here were downright clique oriented, which leaves a bad taste. Don't throw your Arachnoboards time around. Some people may not have the time to spend searching threads and it's much easier and faster to refer to a single, new thread. To new comers, ask away. Don't be put off by those who regard themselves as better (ie, more learned), than yourselves. We all start somewhere and this "club" isn't just for an arrogant few. That's my two cents. Beat me up, Scottie.
WOW see we do agree 100% on some things lol

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you have tarantula questions, please click on the "Search" button above and enter the subject of your question.

Chances are, your question has not only been answered, but a whole entire discussion of the subject is posted here somewhere.

Trust me, we've discussed EVERYTHING on Arachnoboards!{D ;)
I am sure this has been discussed in full in another post, the search function is your friend... http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=41780
ROTFLOL

Last edited:

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I really don't mind looking something up but, some of the info that is out there is old and getting more than one persons opinion is always a good thing. I would think that helping someone by telling of your personal experiences with something is a big part of this site.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Has anyone thought of putting together an Information section? Including species care sheets, substrates, diseases and pests with preventatives and cures, as well as a host of others. Documentation could be submitted to a panel for approval or rejection. It can have future updates, as the scientific community is always in flux, ever learning. This in and of itself would alleviate a lot of questions. Just my thoughts, but the monster of tarantula internet boards should be able to undertake such a mission.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Drachenjager said:
I am sure this has been discussed in full in another post, the search function is your friend... http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=41780
ROTFLOL
Pulk said:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=41780
(two posts above {D )

Has anyone thought of putting together an Information section? Including species care sheets, substrates, diseases and pests with preventatives and cures, as well as a host of others. Documentation could be submitted to a panel for approval or rejection. It can have future updates, as the scientific community is always in flux, ever learning. This in and of itself would alleviate a lot of questions. Just my thoughts, but the monster of tarantula internet boards should be able to undertake such a mission.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=97451

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here is an idea, if you don’t want to answer the question in the thread (a repeat question for example), then don’t answer. But then don’t get mad when someone posts an answer you think is wrong because you were not willing to spend a few minutes giving an answer when the question was first asked. You did not want to answer from the start so why would you then come in and correct someone?
Some of the more experienced posters (myself included) shunned the T forums for the longest time because many of the questions are things which have been recently answered. Seriously, I could point to at least 10 threads currently in this forum (9:50 PM central at the time of writing) and find the same exact threads just by moving over a page.

Some people get frusterated typing the same answer over and over again, and with good reason. Often, it takes less time to find an answer through the search function than it does to up and post a new thread.

Moreover, there are constantly questions that people constantly ask that are already answered in the stickies at the top of the forum. Posting a question that's answered pretty much weekly is almost a sign of disrespect for some people.

By posting questions that are answered bi-daily, you drive away the more experienced users. You're pretty much shooting yourself in the foot.

So you are essentially saying "stop talking, we have covered it all" "the board is now closed" Right?
Show me one post where someone has said that. One.

Every time a new species comes into the hobby or every time a rare species is bred, chances are there aren't too many threads about it. Also every time someone breeds any spider, there are always unforseen complications and new methods to use.

There's always new housing methods to be tried, etc.

Every question is by no means answered but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of questions I see here could be answered by the stickies which state 'Read this before you post'.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see both sides, but I say ask away. So what if there is a repeat question. It’s a questioned presented from that person’s point of view. And being an online community that interacts online a lot, what good would it do to say” look it all up before you ask your question?” That kind of defeats the reasons behind having a Discussion forum. Conversation threads would almost stop if we followed that thinking.
Here is an idea, if you don’t want to answer the question in the thread (a repeat question for example), then don’t answer. But then don’t get mad when someone posts an answer you think is wrong because you were not willing to spend a few minutes giving an answer when the question was first asked. You did not want to answer from the start so why would you then come in and correct someone?

So you are essentially saying "stop talking, we have covered it all" "the board is now closed" Right?

That’s my rant I am done now. ;P
i have to agree.
who cares if its been asked.
the interaction is nice.
if we dont want to bother, its no bother.
and besides..what about the idea that new info may be available, a better way to do something, an updated sci name, a re classification..etc..something that hasnt been covered yet?

some good points on both sides of the argument..but i lean this direction.

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Show me one post where someone has said that. One."

Look at the first post in this thread.
"Trust me, we've discussed EVERYTHING on Arachnoboards."

"Every time a new species comes into the hobby or every time a rare species is bred, chances are there aren't too many threads about it. Also every time someone breeds any spider, there are always unforseen complications and new methods to use."

Why does it have to be only for new species or rare breeds. If I breed my A. hentzi and have "unforseen complications", can I not ask for help?

rikimaku666

Arachnopeon
So there!.... I'm taking my ball and going home! chucking my toys out the pram as i go!;P

Lighten up guys please!:D

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
First off, I'm on Joe's side here. When questions are posted repeatedly, meaning the posters have spent no time trying to do a little research, is somewhat disrespectful. Those of us that spend time answering questions, only to have more people rub the lamp to hear it again, is somewhat lazy in my opinion. However I only see this as problematic for somewhat common topics, that it only takes a click back a page to see a thread discussing the issue.

As for searching, is your pet not worth your effort to do some digging and come up with the best solution for the problem? Maybe to compile an argument, or offer a more complicated/informed question. MizM is right, there is a ton of info here, and to hear that you've run a search before asking a question makes me very happy. And makes you more prepared for the discussion.

Now, there are two sides to every coin...

Frequent 'newbie' traffic is kept up do to the inclusive environment, and ease of asking questions. There are many other arachnid forums, however, I believe its easy to see how much more active we are. And its because of frequent posting, and helpful info, along with fresh threads every hour. And trying to discourage these new threads, will slow down the Invertebrate Hobby, which we are only trying to spread.

Some are too new to even know what to search for, or even if they found the answer, they wouldn't understand the terminology used.

I'll end with just saying, try digging a little, just for your benefit, make yourself more informed, and perhaps chip in on someone else's thread, so we can all discuss it together, as opposed to splitting into different camps and diverting the attention of experienced members. Your thread may be ignored because the members just finished debating that very topic, and you will miss a load of information.

-Sean

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"Show me one post where someone has said that. One."

Look at the first post in this thread.
"Trust me, we've discussed EVERYTHING on Arachnoboards."
First off, to quote someone please press this button that you see in the lower right hand corner of the post:

Second, the comment you quoted wasn't meant to be literal. Like Sean said, posting the same questions over and over again only slows the progress of the hobby. Search, if not to make your question better but to also make yourself more informed.

I mean, seriously...most forums take days to get a response. There are people here who get pissy if their question isn't answered within minutes.

For every thread on this forum at pretty much any given time, I can find 10 more on the same subject in less than 5 minutes.

Why does it have to be only for new species or rare breeds. If I breed my A. hentzi and have "unforseen complications", can I not ask for help?
One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone misrepresents something I've said. Read this quote again:

Cheshire said:
Every time a new species comes into the hobby or every time a rare species is bred, chances are there aren't too many threads about it. Also every time someone breeds any spider, there are always unforeseen complications and new methods to use.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ShadowBlade, excellent points. It's unfortunate that my post on initiating a more concise and infomative Arachnoboards has pretty much been glossed over. It would require a major undertaking. Some one may peruse the threads found via the search button, let's say mites, and stop with what one gleans to be sufficient information, not wading far enough back to pick up that one tidbit of info that will help him the most, as the newer threads may have a weak response from old timers who're thinking, 'Been there, done that.' Arachnoboards can achieve the next level by implementing a certain degree of sticky info threads; in the long run, it would alleviate the old timers from 'wasting their time.'

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Arachnoboards can achieve the next level by implementing a certain degree of sticky info threads; in the long run, it would alleviate the old timers from 'wasting their time.'
We already have this, though. Caresheets for G. rosea, A. seemani, sexing info, a list of species that do and don't have tibial spurs, suggestions for first tarantulas and first Old World tarantulas (as well as what the term Old World means) can all be found in one sticky. These are questions that come up on at least a monthly basis.

Nobody bothers to read the stickies, either.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ShadowBlade, excellent points. It's unfortunate that my post on initiating a more concise and infomative Arachnoboards has pretty much been glossed over. It would require a major undertaking. Some one may peruse the threads found via the search button, let's say mites, and stop with what one gleans to be sufficient information, not wading far enough back to pick up that one tidbit of info that will help him the most, as the newer threads may have a weak response from old timers who're thinking, 'Been there, done that.' Arachnoboards can achieve the next level by implementing a certain degree of sticky info threads; in the long run, it would alleviate the old timers from 'wasting their time.'
That's a great idea but as you already said, a huge undertakeing. I've been putting together a spieces list with pics followed by the genus name and common names. It's in word format but every time I make some progress, something has change with a couple of spieces and I have to redo that section. I don't think I'll ever get caught up. lol That's just list of spieces so I can't imagine what kind of work would be involved in undertakeing your suggestion. It's a good on though.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is exactly the problem we're talking about. This system has already been implemented, but nobody is using it. It's right at the top and titled Beginner Info: Read Before Posting.

There is also a peer reviewed article system, right on the homepage labeled Articles.

These could not be easier to find or use.

Last edited: