Newbie reminder

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Being a n00b here, I'll try not to preach. I have had my wrist slapped for not using the search function once... once.

I agree that there are MANY of the same old posts everyday here. If I see another " My Rosie won't eat " post I'm going to scream ! I come here to learn. I have found that AB is governed my a drastic law of diminishing returns. I see the same questions ALL THE TIME. In fact, even worse, many posts degrade into a chat room about nothing.

IMO the main problem are the hobbist themselves. VERY young people are attracted to this hobby, and many immature adults ( insert <edit> here ) People that have no intension of adding anything to a conversation but just like to post to feel oddly significant.

That being said, How do we solve this problem ? The only thing that comes to mind for me is having a room like the " watering hole " Where you either have to be a paid member or a high rank of post ( or invitation for that matter ) for " Expert Questons and Discussions " The n00bs can read them, but they can't post or add threads...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IMO the main problem are the hobbist themselves. VERY young people are attracted to this hobby, and many immature adults ( insert <edit> here ) People that have no intension of adding anything to a conversation but just like to post to feel oddly significant.
Welcome to the internet, my friend...enjoy your stay.

Don't pick on <edit>, though. He's become a forum mascot of sorts ;)

That being said, How do we solve this problem ? The only thing that comes to mind for me is having a room like the " watering hole " Where you either have to be a paid member or a high rank of post ( or invitation for that matter ) for " Expert Questons and Discussions " The n00bs can read them, but they can't post or add threads...
I don't like this idea because of one simple reason...who would qualify as an expert?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I totally agree... if all subjects have been covered why not shut the forum from active posting and use it as a referance library?? no, thought not!!!

The point is that its fun and educational for "noobs" to post because human interaction beats searching through stacks of old info every time (or is that just me?)
I avoided this thread because I felt the SAME way. With the obvious scientific reasearch into T biology and many like topics which would bore 98% of the hobbyists to death, the fun stuff remains, who, what where when and why. And without a doubt, most of that comes from noobs who have been in the hobby less than a year.

If I searched every topic I was interested in, I would get all the answers I needed from posts that were prolly many years old. There would be no need for any interaction at ALL!!!

Then what would be the sense of the site at all.

What keeps ANY site going, PEOPLE and the EXCHANGE of information that flows between them!!! If you stop, curb, or discourage participation, folks will inevitably go elsewhere for that interaction!!!

Don't cut off your collective noses to spite your faces.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Welcome to the internet, my friend...enjoy your stay.

Don't pick on <edit>, though. He's become a forum mascot of sorts ;)

I don't like this idea because of one simple reason...who would qualify as an expert?
yeah i think the likes of Michael Jacobi would get lonely lol not to mention he is too busy lol

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you have tarantula questions, please click on the "Search" button above and enter the subject of your question.

Chances are, your question has not only been answered, but a whole entire discussion of the subject is posted here somewhere.

Trust me, we've discussed EVERYTHING on Arachnoboards!{D ;)
So close the boards if there is nothing left to discuss.

Make it a research only base of your hard work since YOU have been here for so long and now shun us who are trying to enjoy the boards as you did at one time…. So sorry we newbies bother you so much but thanks for the reminder…I wont be posting any of those annoying, pesky questions any time soon.

I looked through your post history all the way to the beginning…So Don’t forget you once asked these dumb stupid questions…. how would you feel if someone blew you off and told you to use the search function and that your on your own……I doubt you would have stayed with such a rude forum for this long.

Yes I feel this thread was in very poor taste and makes the new kids feel very unwelcome :embarrassed: Shame....Shame

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Make it a research only base of your hard work since YOU have been here for so long and now shun us who are trying to enjoy the boards as you did at one time…. So sorry we newbies bother you so much but thanks for the reminder…I wont be posting any of those annoying, pesky questions any time soon.

I looked through your post history all the way to the beginning…So Don’t forget you once asked these dumb stupid questions…. how would you feel if someone blew you off and told you to use the search function and that your on your own……I doubt you would have stayed with such a rude forum for this long.

Yes I feel this thread was in very poor taste and makes the new kids feel very unwelcome :embarrassed: Shame....Shame
I absolutely agree with you, but don't take too much offense and by all means, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. It's only castles burning and this too shall pass, with everything remaining exactly as it was. I've seen it as such too many times before. I keep getting refered to theBeginner Info sticky thread and, while informative, is still sorely lacking. :?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I absolutely agree with you, but don't take too much offense and by all means, don't cut off your nose to spite your face. It's only castles burning and this too shall pass, with everything remaining exactly as it was. I've seen it as such too many times before. I keep getting refered to theBeginner Info sticky thread and, while informative, is still sorely lacking. :?
right, some people on here forgot where they began. I for one will answer any question even if its been asked of me 100000 times, if i know the answer lol

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why do people get so touchy when asked to use the search function? It's not that hard. As a responsible pet owner you should be trying to learn as much as you can anyway, and your refusal to use the search function, on top of being disrespectful, is a bit irresponsible.

You are refusing the opportunity to learn and to gather information for yourself. Why not use the search function, learn what you can, and still post questions? You can use your new found education to post better and more specific questions with an increased amount of pertinent information.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why do people get so touchy when asked to use the search function? It's not that hard. As a responsible pet owner you should be trying to learn as much as you can anyway, and your refusal to use the search function, on top of being disrespectful, is a bit irresponsible.

You are refusing the opportunity to learn and to gather information for yourself. Why not use the search function, learn what you can, and still post questions? You can use your new found education to post better and more specific questions with an increased amount of pertinent information.
By all means, use the search button, and it would be nice if this were done (as noted earlier in this thread), prior to posting a new thread, for the the sake of being better informed when the answers come rolling in, or finding a sufficient answer and not having to post a new thread at all. But one shouldn't be admonished or castrated for not having done so. And my hat off to Drachenjager.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Well stated Sweet, whats good for the goose...

If 'Inane, redundant' threads bother you, insult your intellegence since you have discussed EVERYTHING' then don't open the thread.

Look I know what your intention was with starting this thread, however, the manner in which you posted was rather insulting and demeaning to those folks who post here. Yes folks should use the search option to help themselves, however they should not be discouraged in any manner from posting, EVER!!!

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am new too this hobby also,and I beleive at least part of the reason people post questions is simply to enteract with like minded people.Most people who find that I have T's think it is strange,so much so that I don't bring it up anymore.Asking guestions is just another way of interacting with folks,if you don't want to enteract, then don't reply to the questions.

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, maybe everyone should relax a bit. I do see both sides. I too was afraid of getting attacked for a when i first started. but often I notice that people read too much into things. and often people think that what is a gentle reminder is a flame.

Mizm is and has been very helpful to all members. I am sure that she did not mean for everyone to stop posting.

also maybe everyone should revive a few more old threads. if someone has a prob. that is on topic to another thread . Join in! add to it!

also try posting where it should be. if its an I.D.? use the I.D. section. if the I.D. section is unresponsive say so.

I do not think that everyone here is used to putting what they would verbalize into written form and expressing themselves clearly. if you are not getting the answer that makes sense to you try restating what you said in the same thread. or use the edit button. or ask for clarification. people here are more than willing to help. including Mizm. try not to add another thread as that takes up band width I believe.

maybe some of the middle knowledge people should step up more. that would take some of the pressure off the more expert. as well as give them a chance to get used to expressing themselves and checking out what they practiced.

maybe some of the people should have better subject titles. not just help!

maybe it will become like in the Philip K. dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. An electronic emotional fluctuating pool. or Anger Candy like Harlin Elison

Take a deep breathe.

remember to be curtious these are your fellow hobbiests

thanks

Derrick

Arachnopeon
For those of you who dont want to help newbies because the Qs they ask may already have been talked about years ago..........just skip over it and go on to the next topic. Eventually someone who wants to help newbies will answer their Qs. Isnt that why this forum is here. To help spread info to people that dont have it. Yes, a lot of you smart ones with all the info are so quick to criticize and point in another direction. I have personally had times when I used the search option and found some outdated info. So I posted a Q and got criticized for not looking in the search option first. It is much more comforting to see what methods people are using at the current time.

There is definately a need for the search option. I try to use it first every time. Even if it yields me an answer, most of the time I want another opinion from another party so I will post the Q anyway. When I use the search I dont believe everything that has been posted when it could be outdated or just plain B.<edit> But I do take it into consideration when asking others the same Q.
So what is wrong with Newbies asking Qs?:?

Last edited by a moderator:

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

ummm thanks...why?
and is that a bald spot i see ? lol
Your uncompromising willingness to help.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OK...so let's take an empirical look at the problem. We'll use this thread about crickets as a starter. This thread was posted at 1:11 and the first reply was at 1:23. We'll see how many threads I can find on crickets in the next eleven minutes.

Time me.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=72565&highlight=cricket+breeding http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=85601&highlight=cricket+breeding http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=98966&highlight=crickets http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=99582&highlight=crickets

There we go. Much more information on the keeping of crickets than was already broughtn up in that thread, along with information on the pros and cons of feeding crickets.

On to the second part of that question, about the breeding. Four minutes to go, including the time it took me to type this.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?f=40
http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.html
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=273220&postcount=3

A link to the breeding reports forum, with species specific information on breeding and two helpful links from the stickies of the forums.

<Edit> One minute late, but just from the amount of information I dug up on those questions in the time it took that thread to get one reply should prove my point well enough. That isn't even half of what's in that sticky.

Last edited: