Newbie reminder

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Look I know what your intention was with starting this thread, however, the manner in which you posted was rather insulting and demeaning to those folks who post here. Yes folks should use the search option to help themselves, however they should not be discouraged in any manner from posting, EVER!!!
No, it wasn't. MizM has helped many 'newbies' out just out of her own generosity.

The manner in which her post was written was firm and blunt, but by no means disrespectful at all.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No, it wasn't. MizM has helped many 'newbies' out just out of her own generosity.

The manner in which her post was written was firm and blunt, but by no means disrespectful at all.
no i think however that in other post many of us, myself included sadly, do get disprespectful of people who post the same question over and over...not that the same one posts the same question but you know what i mean.
Yes it does sometimes get old to say over and over that G. rosea goes on oddball fasts for no apparant reason ...but ...
I have searched for things and not been able to find it, even things i KNOW are on here somewhere. Thing is a lot of ewbies dont know what the heck to search FOR.
Actually i didnt notice the search function till someone pointed it out to me ...

No MizM was not disrecpectfull at all IMO. She wasnt even that blunt. But i think some people who come on here not even really knowing WHAT to ask, is going to have a real hard time with the search function. To this day i still do.
Actually i think that some of the hard feelings are due to a bit too much sensitivity on both sides of this issue.
We all need thicker skin, i mean look at the trend of PC, before long it will be illegal to call a spade a spade because old Sam may get offended(Sam Spade that is). Go ahead and call me a Kraut, all it will do is make me want to get some wurst to go with it. Call me a fat head , not a problem... i think most of us , if we really took a close look at ourselves , need to grow the heck up. Granted some more than otheres but hey.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We all need thicker skin, i mean look at the trend of PC, before long it will be illegal to call a spade a spade because old Sam may get offended(Sam Spade that is). Go ahead and call me a Kraut, all it will do is make me want to get some wurst to go with it. Call me a fat head , not a problem... i think most of us , if we really took a close look at ourselves , need to grow the heck up. Granted some more than otheres but hey.
Yeah...a lot of people who like to be spoonfed stuff get really mad when you ask them to find information themselves.

However, if you look at the quality of the data I dug up in 11 minutes using the search function and then look at the quality of the data on the thread I used as an example, it all speaks for itself.

If you want to get angry at the likes of Shadowblade, MizM and myself rather than heed our advice, feel more than free but you're putting yourself at a major disadvantage.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah...a lot of people who like to be spoonfed stuff get really mad when you ask them to find information themselves.

However, if you look at the quality of the data I dug up in 11 minutes using the search function and then look at the quality of the data on the thread I used as an example, it all speaks for itself.

If you want to get angry at the likes of Shadowblade, MizM and myself rather than heed our advice, feel more than free but you're putting yourself at a major disadvantage.

and a lot of people get mad when someone asks them a simple question too. but hey.
I am not in the least bit mad about any of it. I just think that society in general needs to get thicker skin. The newbies who get mad when they are told to use search need to get thicker skin about it and learn form it but not get discouraged. And the more expierienced of us need to realize that some people that come on here can barely make a post due to not being computer literate, and some just overlook the search feature. Or are not familiar enough wiht the terms to do a decent search . so telling them to use search is really not helping them in the least.
Its like telling my wife to chnage the spark plugs in her car... yeah that would fix it but she dosent even know what they are let a lone where to look for them...

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i, for one, have had almost zero luck in finding any of the info i have desired, using the very limited search function.

i have been having to privately ask people stuff because i dont want to be told continuously to use a search function that doesnt pull in the answers i need.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
seriously, i think everyone agrees

for asking people-
it's better if they (we) try to search before posting, but there's no way to automatically prevent them (us) from creating annoying threads. having a polite reminder of some sort would be good for this. (this thread is more of a discussion than a sticky-type, though.) More info in the Read This Before Posting would also be good.
it's often difficult to find the info they need by searching. it's just better when they're able to.

for answering people-
they're not required to respond to any thread. threads whose -entire- question is answered in Read This Before Posting can be locked/deleted. or if it's too annoying to wade through the question threads, just use the search function.

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The solution is very simple.

Those of you who are more than qualified to answer nubie questions and are now above all that, please step aside and let those AB members who are able see the value in cultivating the next generation of tarantula hobbists and guide them through their problems. Simply providing a reference to an earlier thread may be helpful, but certainly not very personable.

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
First of all, NO ONE has the right to tell anyone here to leave or stop posting except for Scott, myself or the Admins and mods. And even then, unless straight out spammers, the mods bring it to our attention first. If any of you have a problem with what someone is saying, then REPORT IT. Unless a mod or Admin says they are speaking on our behalf or have gotten the word from Scott or myself, then the ONLY ones who can speak on behalf of Scott and me, are Scott and me, period.

With that said, I would like to explain what I, personally, (when I actually get the time) do when answering "repetitive" questions. I do NOT tell anyone to just simply search, nor do I just post a link and be done. What I have done and will continue to do is to quickly search myself. I then say something to the effect of "Here are just a few things that I came up with while doing a quick search using the following key words"; and then I post the key words that I used to find the info and then post a few links to help out initially. Not all, just a few. Now is this the end all be all answer? Nope. But it might help and be a start. At the very least it is a suggestion and IMO a polite solution.

Other than that, if you don't want to answer, don't. If you feel that you can be helpful, then do so. But please also don't panic or freak out when your post does not get a response in less than an hour either. Just because you see how many times your thread has been viewed does not necessarily mean that all those people knew the answer or had the immediate available time to answer. I would think that if no one replies after a day then maybe bump it up saying "still interested in anwer" or something like that. Not that it is a rule or anything, again just a polite suggestion. ;)

But you all have to also remember to try not to take everything written here personally either. You need to take things with a grain of salt (so to speak). It is VERY difficult to express emotion properly via typing out words. Honestly, without seeing the person's expressions (IMO) it can be misconstrued. We are all human and I find it is always better to ask "hey just want to make sure I don't take what you said the wrong way", than to just take it the way you *think* it is intended. Really helps alleviate the "misinterpretation" and can help avoid any unnecessary arguing.

Just my $0.02 :)

Debby

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks, Debby. It's nice to see a balance of emotion and intellect.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
People, take a Xanax and a deep breath and calm down! Sheesh. You are interjecting all of these things in my post that are not even there!

When you do a search, you get LOTS more information LOTS faster than by posting a new thread. My suggestion was meant to HELP you get the information that you are looking for. For those of you who are not getting answers, try not to be TOO specific in your search terms. Trust me, if it's here, you will find it.

This is a community of hobbyists who are here precisely for sharing information with each other. We enjoy interacting with you.We want you to ask quesions, be inquisitive and learn about the hobby.

I didn't say DON'T post questions. I didn't say we don't like to answer your questions. I didn't say alot of things you are interjecting, and I don't appreciate words being put into my mouth.

Any questions?:eek:

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
i, for one, have had almost zero luck in finding any of the info i have desired, using the very limited search function.

i have been having to privately ask people stuff because i dont want to be told continuously to use a search function that doesnt pull in the answers i need.
If you need help with the search button to find more (or better) results send me a PM, I've been known to use it a time or two ;). I might also suggest that some of the people who often encourage the use of the Search function would be equally willing to help people in the use of it.

Mori

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you need help with the search button to find more (or better) results send me a PM, I've been known to use it a time or two ;). I might also suggest that some of the people who often encourage the use of the Search function would be equally willing to help people in the use of it.

Mori
thanks!
i like to think of myself as net savvy..and have experience with v-bulletin format..but have never been good with the search function.
i appreciate that, and will take you guys up on it!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Mori

Exactly. As mean as I might seem in public on the boards, I'm constantly PM'ing people and recieving PMs from people I'm trying to help.

It's not that we don't like new people, but as my little 11 minute experiment with the search function showed, there are better and quicker ways to answer questions than to post a new thread.

The Queries I entered were 'Crickets', 'Cricket Breeding', and 'Sexing'.

I didn't need to search for the breeding report forum.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer

Mori
Yes, I'd be more than happy to help!

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
<edit>

I then say something to the effect of "Here are just a few things that I came up with while doing a quick search using the following key words";

Debby
here is a big part of the problem, people new to the hobby don't know the right terms to search for.

Last edited:

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Tolerance and understanding.

We can all remember when we were at that Noob stage.
I certainly can, but I took each and every comment as someone sharing knowledge, and learned from it. Some was tough love some was very kind and warm fuzzy. but me being who I am... will take the tough love from someone who's 100% certain of what they are saying over the warm fuzzy.
But I'm used to reading cold science papers and OSHA documents.

I took it all in stride.

But we ( as a group of hobbyists ) must remember a few things:
- the noob you give some "tough-love" to might be someone's 10yr old daughter.
- ( As Metallica said ) the Noob's vocab is lacking so good search function skills are only half of what's needed.

as for the apathy of the long timers?
- many of the times that I don't post is because "the debate is still out" on many of these topics. like: humidity, misting, vertebrate diets, handling

As for the general consensus type questions, water dish or not.
My T is on its back what do I do?
I think that was what the "arachnopedia" or "Archnowiki" will be able to do.

cabey0201

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This may be a completely moot point, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway. When I'm sitting at home with all of the time in the world, I can search to my little little heart's desire for information. Granted, using the search function it sometimes takes forever to find just what I'm looking for, and takes a lot of trial and error to use the best wording for the search. But nonetheless, I can usually get good info. However, when you don't have web access at home, you may have to resort to searching on lunch breaks at work :embarrassed: . I can tell you from personal experience, it's a lot easier to post a question and look for good input without having to dig too deeply into the millions of archived pages of wonderful information. If you post a question, you know you can find it within the first couple pages of the forums for a good week. And finally, I've noticed there are some very knowledgable and informative people that have only been with arachnoboards for a relatively short time. Are we to assume that all points have been touched on in the past with no need for input from these guys? That's my two cents. Now gimme my change!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
maybe some of the people should have better subject titles. not just help!
That alone would make the search function much much better. All you have to do is read some of the titles here and you will immediately see that finding what you are looking for in a search can be a daunting task because of some of the titles some you all use here.