New T's at Tarantulaspiders.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pamphos are indeed a neat genus, but NO pampho is going to touch something like P. metallica. I know Todd has something of an unnatural attraction to the genus, but my opinion is that they're highly, highly overrated based on the fact that their most colorful specimens are the soon to be dead mature males.

For the vast majority of their lives, they're merely interesting looking, very leggy spiders. Compare that to a Pokie, or even a Brachy, and I'm not seeing the hype.

If anyone is willing to pay P. metallica/miranda type prices for a Pampho, I personally would question their intelligence.

Oh well, tomorrow is the unveiling and we can all come back to discuss what the heck he was thinking.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey

If anyone is willing to pay P. metallica/miranda type prices for a Pampho, I personally would question their intelligence.
I still don't understand people paying miranda type prices for P.miranda. IMO P.formosa or P.subfusca is a FAR nicer T. P.metallica however, well, I doubt any T will ever match that one.

Steve

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree, subfusca is just as nice if not nicer.
Although I've always regarded Poecilotheria as a "you've seen one, you've seen 'em all" genus.
Not entirely sure why - just one of those things I guess.
That's probably why I like Poecilotheria metallica so much - it's such a contrast to the standard overall Pokie colour scheme.

Anyway, I digress. Isn't this unveiling due today?:?

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Pamphos are indeed a neat genus, but NO pampho is going to touch something like P. metallica.
Agree wholeheartedly. They do look pretty cool, but P. metallica still blows most people away with all that blue. I still say whoever owns these P. metallica's, wherever they may be, should at least share a few photos with us. I'd also be curious as to how much they actually paid for them. Adult P. metallica's? You know that had to be a lot of cash!

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All his hype is a little annoying. Why not just let the spiders speak for themselves. . I bet they are Pamphos.
Mike

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
I still don't understand people paying miranda type prices for P.miranda. IMO P.formosa or P.subfusca is a FAR nicer T. P.metallica however, well, I doubt any T will ever match that one.
You've got a point, but the market has sort of settled at the idea that a beautiful, previously hyped, new to the market T fetches between $100-$175 initially.

I wouldn't pay that price for *any* T given my current monetary situation when I could have 5 or 6 or even more other interesting specimens in my collection, but that's just me. For the collectors who feel they already have "all the normal ones" and actually have a decent share of that thing I have heard is called 'money', it's not that extreme of a price.

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Apparently, Mr. Gearhart is taking a cue from network television and postponing the unveiling as long as possible. It's 1PM and nothing new on the website about the mystery X species of Ts.

I realised this morning that although we are all obviously critical of his methods, we're feeding his hype machine as much as anyone :eek:

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hullo

well any ways he has updated it with pics that seam to be of the genus Xenesthis. well any ways just tto let you know people if you haven't already seen it

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes..the big X..and Xenesthis-looking pics...Monstrosa, then? That, and something else..I think I despise the hype he is making though..it's not even done with much finesse,..and it too much reminds me of commersials commersials adds adds hype hype hype that seems to be the backbone of a market-economy

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, he'll do well selling those. And despite the corniness and the hype.. 30 replies on this forum says it worked ;) monstrosa is a sp. I'd love to have, but not one I can jump on with the prices I'm sure they will garner.

Kudos to your tactics Todd, and congrats if you were able to mate yours successfully (iirc you had a female in your collection).

Bill

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why kudos to something you don't like eventhough it's working?

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I didn't say I don't like it. I think it's really pretty dumb, but I give him some credit in that it seems to be working. The most successful advertisement I've ever heard is for Empire Carpet. They have this stupid, annoying jingle, that has the phone number for them burned into my head for all eternity. Marketing is a many faced entity.

Bill

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh yes it is. And perhaps Todd's meaning with creating such an annoying hype is to stir peoples feelings and attract attention. If they will actually buy that expensive stuff though is a wholly separate entity I think. Hmm, perhaps another facet is that they will remember him, and buy other, cheaper things from him, though. Hard to say, but I'd wager against it.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can someone point me to a URL of these pics???

Thanks,
Steve

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bill, i'm right behind you on that:

"800 -588-2300...empiretodayyyyyy"

oh man, oh man, oh man....

nice T pics though! I'm kind of glad all that hype didn't end up being over poec, though.

sleep,
dave

Last edited:

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
So much for hype.....I went to his site, clicked all over the friggin place and could not find one mention of it!:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.