Neoholothele incei communal FAIL :/

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
How many of your succesful Poeciletheria communals do you have going now? And what were the survival rates you documented? Communal would imply they survived together long term (into adulthood), raising batches of slings together does not qualify. Keeping large groups of adults together permanently would warrant your claim, having them thrive and breed would also cement your argument.
I'm currently keeping two at the moment and preparing for a third that will be ready soon. Currently P. metallica is the only sub adults - adults living together. So unless I keep them together forever, they can't be kept communally ?

Seems your "communals" were mostly slings that had been raised together, wich you then separated. I don't know why this would dismiss the fact that P.regalis aren't a species that does well communally (long term), it was mentioned that a great many species are fairly tolerant of each other when young, this doesn't last indefinitely.
Well yes that's how you keep a Poecilotheria communal. You raise slings together in close quarters. But I have kept adult together, how long do I need to keep them together before you will agree that it works ? So you agree that they can be raised peacefully , but then when they turn into full grown adults they just start going on a killing rampage ? Doubt it. Google P. regalis communal, there's plenty of pics of adults living together.

Even in your personal experience you say there was cannibalism, and that you may not of noticed all of it. I have yet to hear of a single P.regalis communal that has lasted long term...
Yes, I gave a fair view of my experience, and have witnessed two occasion of cannibalism ( out of hundreds), but you ignored the reason why. Of coarse I'm going to say there may of been more that I never saw. It would be ridiculous for me to claim that I sit there watching them 24/7, but even then if it was some majore problem you would think I would see some evidence of it , no ?

There is no benefit to keeping them communally and the cost is to high (both money wise and loss of animals) to attempt it.
Benefits would be raising large numbers of sling quickly, while saving time, space, and supplies. As Chase mentioned earlier, I only do this with slings that I hatch myself, so there is no financial lose in the event of a incident.

You raised sac mates with losses, how many exactly you can't say but from your wording most likely more than what you witnessed..You had other problems as well.. Some outcompeted other's for food molting problems etc... You basically ran into all the same problems that I said would arise in a communal set up yet you disagreed with what I said.. That's kind of ironic :)...
I never said "most likely" had more losses that I didn't know about. I said "Could there be more, sure" As I commented above, I don't sit there watching them all day, but there has been no other evidence to suggest they are murdering each other when I'm not looking lol. As for the other "problems", yes I'm trying to give a fair account of what happens. Again, what I said is these are "minor problems" and haven't caused any cannibalism, so I guess that's where we disagree ?

From what I can extract from the wording in your post you never raised a group into adulthood for an indefinate period where maybe only two out of ten would survive. Where possibly males would compete for mating privileges or females would compete for laying territory. Let me ask you. How do you think a female guarding an eggsac would respond to another male or female trying to occupy that same den? Again an area where you disagreed with me but you have never taken the experiment that far so you cant answer the question with any degree of certainty... Kind of ironic ;)..
I'm not trying to use any sort of word trickery here lol. Yes, I've had several species grow to full grown adults together, although as stated earlier I'm not a fan of keeping the adults together so I do normally separate them. With tigrinawesseli I had 6-8 females living together for some time. 2 males matured in this group and I would often witness mating behavior from both the males and the females. Sometime the males engaging more then one female at once. I never saw insertions, and eventually separated them, so yes that's as far as I've taken the experiment. I'm not sure what we disagreed on here, as neither of us brought up breeding until this lol.

Anyhow, some polish breeder have been successful breeding Poecilotheria in a communal type setting, so maybe refer to them. If you are not on Facebook, I'll be happy to email you the pics . https://www.facebook.com/pg/spiderzone.cz/photos/?tab=album&album_id=568373416587557

We see communals go bad more times then they work out..
Not in my experience. Can you reference some of these threads that end up with one big fat spider ?

Like I said this subject will allways be debatable and never be as cut and dry as they are or they aren't communal .. Another point that you disagreed with I believe o_O
I disagreed with you , because someone said regalis do well in a communal, and responded, "No they don't". That sounded pretty cut and dry to me lol, but if you are willing to agree now that its not so cut and dry then I think we do agree lol.

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences on keeping poecs "communally" I'm sure I will learn something.. It probably won't be enough for me toss all my pokies in a big bin to see what happens but I'm sure in some way it will help us underetand more about poecilotheria in captivity in general..
Well you shouldn't just toss all your Pokies in a big bin to see what happens, because that's not how this works. I would encourage anyone thinking about trying it to research it before hand. The info is out there, I'm not the only one doing this.

I think we get hung up on the word communal, and what makes them truly communal. Sure we can call them tolerant or whatever you want. If me raising them to adults with little to no indecent and then separating them after some time , rather then leaving adults together for years makes them NOT communal, then so be it.

You guys have already decided that its a bad idea, and that's fine. But I wont raise them any other way from now on. Even got ornata together now and they are reported to be the worst communal species. Well see, so far so good :)

Sorry for the long post, lots to catch up on here after a long day of work.
Later, Tom

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm currently keeping two at the moment and preparing for a third that will be ready soon. Currently P. metallica is the only sub adults - adults living together. So unless I keep them together forever, they can't be kept communally ?

Well yes that's how you keep a Poecilotheria communal. You raise slings together in close quarters. But I have kept adult together, how long do I need to keep them together before you will agree that it works ? So you agree that they can be raised peacefully , but then when they turn into full grown adults they just start going on a killing rampage ? Doubt it. Google P. regalis communal, there's plenty of pics of adults living together.

Yes, I gave a fair view of my experience, and have witnessed two occasion of cannibalism ( out of hundreds), but you ignored the reason why. Of coarse I'm going to say there may of been more that I never saw. It would be ridiculous for me to claim that I sit there watching them 24/7, but even then if it was some majore problem you would think I would see some evidence of it , no ?

Benefits would be raising large numbers of sling quickly, while saving time, space, and supplies. As Chase mentioned earlier, I only do this with slings that I hatch myself, so there is no financial lose in the event of a incident.

I never said "most likely" had more losses that I didn't know about. I said "Could there be more, sure" As I commented above, I don't sit there watching them all day, but there has been no other evidence to suggest they are murdering each other when I'm not looking lol. As for the other "problems", yes I'm trying to give a fair account of what happens. Again, what I said is these are "minor problems" and haven't caused any cannibalism, so I guess that's where we disagree ?

I'm not trying to use any sort of word trickery here lol. Yes, I've had several species grow to full grown adults together, although as stated earlier I'm not a fan of keeping the adults together so I do normally separate them. With tigrinawesseli I had 6-8 females living together for some time. 2 males matured in this group and I would often witness mating behavior from both the males and the females. Sometime the males engaging more then one female at once. I never saw insertions, and eventually separated them, so yes that's as far as I've taken the experiment. I'm not sure what we disagreed on here, as neither of us brought up breeding until this lol.

Anyhow, some polish breeder have been successful breeding Poecilotheria in a communal type setting, so maybe refer to them. If you are not on Facebook, I'll be happy to email you the pics . https://www.facebook.com/pg/spiderzone.cz/photos/?tab=album&album_id=568373416587557

Not in my experience. Can you reference some of these threads that end up with one big fat spider ?

I disagreed with you , because someone said regalis do well in a communal, and responded, "No they don't". That sounded pretty cut and dry to me lol, but if you are willing to agree now that its not so cut and dry then I think we do agree lol.

Well you shouldn't just toss all your Pokies in a big bin to see what happens, because that's not how this works. I would encourage anyone thinking about trying it to research it before hand. The info is out there, I'm not the only one doing this.

I think we get hung up on the word communal, and what makes them truly communal. Sure we can call them tolerant or whatever you want. If me raising them to adults with little to no indecent and then separating them after some time , rather then leaving adults together for years makes them NOT communal, then so be it.

You guys have already decided that its a bad idea, and that's fine. But I wont raise them any other way from now on. Even got ornata together now and they are reported to be the worst communal species. Well see, so far so good :)

Sorry for the long post, lots to catch up on here after a long day of work.
Later, Tom
There are a number of threads where people have lost a considerable amount of slings/juvies while doing communals.. Do you really want me to dredge up all those threads? If you answer is yes then too bad.. I'm busy moving, working out the details of my new position at work, taking care of two sick old ladys and trying to rehab Tokay geckos that are next to dead yet have just enough life in them to bite the crap out of me.. Lol.. Seriously we know it can happen I don't see the point. By me saying eventually you will end up with one fat spider at the end of the day was possibly overkill.. I'll admit that..

Some of the reasons I have mentioned above is why I was short and somewhat cut and dry in my OP.. Normally I go out of my way to answer any questions that I can and explain myself to the best of my ability..
I also said I didn't want to debate the topic because it is NEVER cut and dry.. Its allways a long debate that usually turns into a brutal flame war.. I wasn't interested in all that nonsence. There's never a clear answer because of.. Well this.. Mixed results.. It works for some people but not others.. IMO it's best to keep one per enclosure other than breeding.. Your personal experince is compelling though..

As for what I said about losses that you have witnessed.. How do I know you even check your enclosures for bolus(s) your name is Philth after all ;)... Who says they aren't tucked away under the mountains of molted exos and thousands of cricket carcasses that may have amassed:rolleyes:.. Seriously thougn you left a window open by saying you have only witnessed a few.. In my experience when people admit that something may of happened they usually know for sure it did.. Yea I associate with scum. Whatever..

I hate Facebook.. I will shoot you my email in a PM. I would like to see how smugglers uhhh I mean Poles keep there pokies in communals..

If I missed something you wanted me to address let me know when I PM you my email.

As for this subject on this thread I'm out... Like I said early on I don't have the time on a good day.. Never mind right now.. I must say it's the most thought provoking thread I have been involved in, in a long time.. Thanks for the opposing opinion and experiences..

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Nah , I think you addressed everything. I'm with you, I think this thread ran its coarse ( see we can agree on something lol). I'm done here too unless Nightstalker47 wants to respond. I suppose I should give him a chance to disagree with me again lol. And my apologies to the OP for running of coarse, but this was the more thought provoking threads I've been involved with on AB in awhile too. It's nice to have a passionate or heated debate without everyone getting all butt hurt lol.

my email: Tompatterson77@gmail.com
Later, Tom

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can appreciate hatching and raising a sac that way but I don't have that many so my situation is much different than yours. I do raise widows that way and I let them canabalize until I get a more reasonable number of larger young. I would probably keep T's the same way although I would hope for less canabalizing (unless it was an LP that is)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
And my apologies to the OP for running of coarse, but this was the more thought provoking threads I've been involved with on AB in awhile too. It's nice to have a passionate or heated debate without everyone getting all butt hurt lol.
Haha, no problem! :) Learned a lot while reading it over too.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Haha, no problem! :) Learned a lot while reading it over too.
Just to show you it's possible.

Here is a MM (probably the Uncle) babysitting the kids. I can feed large crickets because the adults kill a few of them and drop them for the slings while they eat the rest. Some of the slings are courageous and try to attack the large crickets but at best they'll rip off a leg. I do also switch up the sizes of prey so the slings can have their own trophies.

FB_IMG_1497390008188.jpg

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Just to show you it's possible.

Here is a MM (probably the Uncle) babysitting the kids. I can feed large crickets because the adults kill a few of them and drop them for the slings while they eat the rest. Some of the slings are courageous and try to attack the large crickets but at best they'll rip off a leg. I do also switch up the sizes of prey so the slings can have their own trophies.

View attachment 243232
Haha awesome! I'm sure I'll try it as long as more than 1 of my incei turn out female. If they do, I'll let 1 sac hatch with the mom and leave them in there and see how it goes.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
That's exactly how I did it, first attempt failed, the breeding worked for me. Hopefully, it works out for you too. Good luck.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
That's exactly how I did it, first attempt failed, the breeding worked for me. Hopefully, it works out for you too. Good luck.
I've often wondered if being sac mates from the begining without being seperated has anything to do with the success of a communal.

ThisMeansWAR

Arachnosquire
Incei ARE communal. Stan Schultz has had one for years, it is even pictured in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Cannibalism can happen in nature as well. I'm not saying it is easy but if one is careful in regards to enclosure size, stress levels of the T's and keeping them well fed.

I've often wondered if being sac mates from the begining without being seperated has anything to do with the success of a communal.
Supposedly, according to breeders I have purchased from.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Incei ARE communal. Stan Schultz has had one for years, it is even pictured in The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Cannibalism can happen in nature as well. I'm not saying it is easy but if one is careful in regards to enclosure size, stress levels of the T's and keeping them well fed.
It depends on what you define as "communal". If you define communal as a group of organisms living together with occasional cannibalism, then so be it.

user 666

Arachnobaron
It depends on what you define as "communal". If you define communal as a group of organisms living together with occasional cannibalism, then so be it.
So people are communal after all.

That's good to hear, because what with people sometimes eating each other I thought we had been disqualified as a communal species.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It's nice to have a passionate or heated debate without everyone getting all butt hurt lol.

my email: Tompatterson77@gmail.com
Later, Tom
Glad it went that way, hope you share some pics of your communal setups, I'd like to see how you keep them. I think the way you used the term "communal" was misleading for what you were describing, but not altogether wrong. You should have specified that you never did this long term, because it makes all the difference.

VukSRB

Arachnosquire
pokies are ONLY "communal" as slings...by 2" you are taking a huge risk...some species of poecs wont even tolerate one another as slings.....regalis is 100%, without question, NOT communal.

Incei are closer, but still not communal....but people keep trying and trying...hoping the same old experiment will suddenly yield new and differrent results....Einstien described that as something....hmm, oh yeah...INSANITY.:happy:
Hello 3 years later 😂 Can I have your opinion on metallica communals, because I have read that they are best poecis to be kept together?
I have a female and will be trying to mate with 2 males and I wanna keep 10 sling together until males mature?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Hello 3 years later 😂 Can I have your opinion on metallica communals, because I have read that they are best poecis to be kept together?
I have a female and will be trying to mate with 2 males and I wanna keep 10 sling together until males mature?
Another species tried and failed.

NO tarantulas are communal.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Another species tried and failed.

NO tarantulas are communal.
Today Petko (The Dark Den) uploaded a video in youtube with the same conclusion. His both communals failed, from 30 individuals divided in two enclosures, only two mature males and one gravid female suvived.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nope, you will end up with one fat spider

Today Petko (The Dark Den) uploaded a video in youtube with the same conclusion. His both communals failed, from 30 individuals divided in two enclosures, only two mature males and one gravid female suvived.
The thing is that a while back he uploaded a vid where he was checking on them and something like 2/3* had been eaten already by that point, and he still decided to keep them communally after that :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

*Possibly, it was definitely at least half of them

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The thing is that a while back he uploaded a vid where he was checking on them and something like 2/3* had been eaten already by that point, and he still decided to keep them communally after that :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

*Possibly, it was definitely at least half of them
True!

I believe that he continued because it was his experiment about communals.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nothing has changed.