My phasmids

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Heteropteryx dilatata
Had anothet female molt into subadult. She is quite larger than the other one!
Expecting 2 more to molt to presub by the end of the week.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
A little update
Don't have any (good) pictures at the moment but i got some quite cool new species as well as some molts and hatchlings. Got 3.2 Eurycnema goliaths nymphs, 3.3 Phasma gigas nymphs and 0.0.9 Acrophylla wuelfingi from Hamm.
All but one of the Heteropteryx females are now green (2 L7 (subadult) and 2 L6 (presub)). One is still in L5.
The unidentified sp. ABC's are doing good. Some are very close to maturing.
Sadly all but one of the females of the Extatosoma tiaratums passed away due to some weird symptoms (twitching, limp bodies). So did the male, without the symptoms. But i have also had the first few hatchlings of the species.

I've also been making some new enclosures for the new species.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Heteropteryx dilatata
I got quite a nice christmas gift :) First male reached adulthood overnight. Never had an adult male before

With a sub adult female

Eurycnema versiubra
One of my fav species. Can't wait for them to get their color

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
So good!! What is the minimum enclosure size for the jungle nymphs?
A sub-adult female needs the most space so she can molt without a problem (so a minimum height for them would be somewhere around 50-60cm, preferably more).
Younger nymphs can be kept in smaller enclosures tho :p

Last edited:

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Some updates. Could sum them up with the good, the bad and the ugly
Let's start with the good
All Heteropteryx females are green

Got a new Eurycnema versiubra hatchling :)

Phasma gigas males all reached sub-adult

Now for the bad..
I have lost the Heteropteryx dilatata mature male for no apparent reason. The Haaniella dehaanii female has passed (probably old age) and the Phyllium giganteum had a bad molt (not that bad but she didn't extend her body and legs like she should've)

And the ugly. A Phasma gigas male had one of the worst molts i have ever had. He lost 5 legs in the process and horribly disfigured his abdomen

Sorry for the bad photo quality but my camera keeps having problems with focus. I'll get it fixed soon

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Phyllium giganteum nymph (sub adult?) and an adult female Phyllium phillippinicum next to each other

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nice!
I have P.phillipinicum nymphs hatching at the moment after 10 months. I seriously thought the eggs were not fertile for some reason and was considering dumping the tub in the trash, but then they finally started emerging. Got 20-25 so far but more are coming everyday :)

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Nice!
I have P.phillipinicum nymphs hatching at the moment after 10 months. I seriously thought the eggs were not fertile for some reason and was considering dumping the tub in the trash, but then they finally started emerging. Got 20-25 so far but more are coming everyday :)
Awesome :D
Yeah they can take a while to hatch. I almost threw a batch of E. tiaratums away but they started hatching not long ago (got mostly males tho)
Do you know if they hatch if they are from non mated females? I don't have any males :/

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
"Tuffz, post: 2577721, member: 112260"]Awesome :D
Yeah they can take a while to hatch. I almost threw a batch of E. tiaratums away but they started hatching not long ago (got mostly males tho)
Do you know if they hatch if they are from non mated females? I don't have any males :/
Well, i had one female and three males, so I think it is safe to say they were from mated females :D
I've seen them connecting as well.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Haven't posted here in ages. a lot has happened since the last postings. Winter was cruel and i lost quite some stuff. But i have also had hatchlings and some sp. maturing. Plus some new arrivals will be coming soon :)!

On to the pictures

Heteropteryx dilatata
Some detail on an adult male's wings

Someone is not happy to see me

Unidentified ABC ''Nui Chua''
An adult pair. Such a colorful species. Sadly i have 5 males to only one female.

Also they mate like crazy! He has been on her for two molts straight.

Eurycnema goliath
Either sub or presub adult pair. So happy that they finally started eating! During the winter they refused to eat almost everything

Acrophylla wuelfingi
This thing is huge! I thought they were a smaller species but the female is not even adult yet and is already bigger than the Eurycnema goliath

And a much smaller male

Mearnsiana bullosa
One of the nymphs

Extatosoma tiaratum
A small pair

The difference between a male and a female can be seen easily in this sp.. Females have spikes and spines ll over their abdomens while males have none (female on left, male on right)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I hope so too. I do genuinely understand the ban because they really could pose a major threat to an entire ecosystem if a female were to get loose, but I think proper regulations, professional education before purchasing (such as having to take a class on phasmids and proper housing for them before even being eligible for a permit), and less strict permit requirements (but still requiring a permit) would be enough to deter less responsible owners that might either release their unwanted phasmids or house them improperly and allow escapes

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
I hope so too. I do genuinely understand the ban because they really could pose a major threat to an entire ecosystem if a female were to get loose, but I think proper regulations, professional education before purchasing (such as having to take a class on phasmids and proper housing for them before even being eligible for a permit), and less strict permit requirements (but still requiring a permit) would be enough to deter less responsible owners that might either release their unwanted phasmids or house them improperly and allow escapes
The northern states could have them legal considering the climate is quite similar to ours

The american species are legal to keep right?

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The northern states could have them legal considering the climate is quite similar to ours

The american species are legal to keep right?
The northern states should definitely be allowed to keep them. I can't image many of the phasmids that live in warmer climates being able to survive the winters we've been having lately.

And last I checked, not even the native species is legal for hobbyists to keep. As far as I'm aware, a permit is required for the keeping of any phasmids in the US, native or non-native. And the only way to be approved for a permit in the US is to be a legitimate educational or research facility such as a museum or laboratory

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
The northern states should definitely be allowed to keep them. I can't image many of the phasmids that live in warmer climates being able to survive the winters we've been having lately.

And last I checked, not even the native species is legal for hobbyists to keep. As far as I'm aware, a permit is required for the keeping of any phasmids in the US, native or non-native. And the only way to be approved for a permit in the US is to be a legitimate educational or research facility such as a museum or laboratory
Exactly. There is no way these would survive the cold winters of northern states.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
I have a Eurycnema goliath male molting to adulthood i believe. I am so nervous becaude i lost 2 already to bad molts and he is molting on the side of the enclosure not on the top.
Really hope he makes it. I'll post pics tomorrow

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Update 1: He is sub adult not adult
Update 2: only the end of hid abdomen is still in the molt so i think it's a success :)

And a bad through the netting photo