My phasmids

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Stupid teachers were keeping asian species of phasmids that produced asexually, and they got out and have infested parts of California.
Oh damn. that won't help your case :/
Guess they were vietnamese or indian sticka since they breed easily

Stugy

Arachnolord
:arghh: I wish California let us own phasmids! (you can but it's a huge inconvenience to get the required permits) Your phasmids are beautiful!

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Tbh we should do some petition to allow hobbyists to keep stick insects and other insects (but the idea should be fleshed out).

Stugy

Arachnolord
Tbh we should do some petition to allow hobbyists to keep stick insects and other insects (but the idea should be fleshed out).
For that we will need to find several and very good reasons for that. We all know that there will be that one idiot who will screw everything up for us. Phasmids will ruin entire ecosystems if put into the wrong hands. I do not like the laws against the keeping of phasmids (in California specifically because I don't really go anywhere else at this point) but I understand why they are placed. Even if a petition were to be created and the goal were to be completed, I fully doubt that we will be able to own phasmids without permits.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
I mean let hobbyists have permits/they can issue them to hobbyists. Tbh the hobbyists are really the only ones (probably other than institutions or zoos) that care about keeping phasmids or any other insect. Then again the forums can work to try to flesh this idea out.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I mean let hobbyists have permits/they can issue them to hobbyists. Tbh the hobbyists are really the only ones (probably other than institutions or zoos) that care about keeping phasmids or any other insect. Then again the forums can work to try to flesh this idea out.
There are permits you can get. They are just a huge inconvenience to obtain which drives many U.S. hobbyists away from phasmids. All these laws are put in place for a completely justifiable reason which is to protect ecosystems. What if a natural disaster comes and messes up everything? I can recall quite a few stories of reptile hobbyists having to release their animals into the wild after Hurricane Katrina (and also because of the destruction, many animals got out). Florida's ecosystem was and still is messed up because of that. Since many phasmids are parthenogenic (something like that), if such a disaster were to happen, many insects will be accidentally released into an environment not meant for them and will likely cause it to die out very quickly. I want to own phasmids a lot. But I can't trust people and for that reason I'd rather not have any laws making it easier to own a phasmid. Do what you want but I won't be of any part of these destructive creatures.

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
True I would say true. Typically I can understand the situation in the southern states but in the Northern states it might be a different story (cold) or it could be the same or even worse.

Stugy

Arachnolord
True dat. But those egg cases will survive and ruin summer!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It is difficult to see these beautiful creatures as pests, being the gentle giants that they are. But they eat a lot, and I only kept four. Imagining hundreds of them clearing acres of foodplants is not hard.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
The Phyllium giganteum female has molted a few hours ago and is now as big as the phillippinicum adult females. Pics later as I'm writting some bs reports into the night :/

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Each molt of my Phyllium amazed me like, how on earth did that body fit in that skin:eek: !
My P.phillipinicum female died yesterday unfortunately :(. But she was almost two years old..so I guess it was just her time. She left over a 100 eggs behind, hoping they will hatch :)

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Each molt of my Phyllium amazed me like, how on earth did that body fit in that skin:eek: !
My P.phillipinicum female died yesterday unfortunately :(. But she was almost two years old..so I guess it was just her time. She left over a 100 eggs behind, hoping they will hatch :)
that's sad to hear :/ At least she lived a long full life
Was she mated?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
that's sad to hear :/ At least she lived a long full life
Was she mated?
Jup, several times. My 4 nymphs turned out to be one female and three males who all matured/molted succesfully. She had her own hareem going on :)

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Jup, several times. My 4 nymphs turned out to be one female and three males who all matured/molted succesfully. She had her own hareem going on :)
Oh great then :p
All of the 8 i got (2 died so i eouldn't know for them) turned out female
Makes me think they were from a parthenogenic culture

Pipa

Arachnoknight
I wish we could have those in the states .. such cool little critters

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Got a pair of these recently
Peruphasma schultei
Adult male

One of my absolutely favourite species!