My phasmids

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I was wondering if any of these phasmids can eat roses.
Phyllium can. Well, the leaves, not the flowers of course. But i found mine likes raspberry or bramble leaves better. And rose leaves are a pain in the behind, with those big thorns, and relatively small leaves. Mine can do a week with a nice sized bouquet of raspberry, two days tops with the same bouquet of rose leaves.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Most that eat bramble also eat rose. But the main problem with rose is that it might be sprayed if bought from a store

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Heteropteryx dilatata
Subadult female

Subadult male

Mearnsiana bullosa
Thought she had stopped laying eggs but she surprised me today :)

MaelRadec

Arachnopeon
Most that eat bramble also eat rose. But the main problem with rose is that it might be sprayed if bought from a store
Where do you typically get your bramble? I'm thinking of growing a bush in my backyard because I haven't seen it around anywhere. Also do you feed Eucalyptus to any of your phasmids?

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Where do you typically get your bramble? I'm thinking of growing a bush in my backyard because I haven't seen it around anywhere. Also do you feed Eucalyptus to any of your phasmids?
I have quite a large area of raspberry and blackberry in the backyard:)

I don't as I can't find it anywhere otherwise i'd use it for Eurycnema sp., Diapherodes sp. and so on. Thankfuly they eat oak aswell

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
Some phasmids that accept bramble also accept rose too, which is a much nicer plant to have than just brambles.

MaelRadec

Arachnopeon
I have quite a large area of raspberry and blackberry in the backyard:)

I don't as I can't find it anywhere otherwise i'd use it for Eurycnema sp., Diapherodes sp. and so on. Thankfuly they eat oak aswell
Some phasmids that accept bramble also accept rose too, which is a much nicer plant to have than just brambles.
Do you know if D. gigantea or E. tiaratum would take rose?

Jacob Ma

Arachnoknight
I know for a fact that E. tiaratum will accept rose, but D. gigantea are more inclined to eucalyptus especially when young. D. gigantea will also accept bramble leaves, evergreen oak, common oak, and hawthorn trees from what I have heard.

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Nothing good happened after the last few weeks. Got some dead Phyllium giganteum nymphs. They died with the dude that picked them up for me. Hopefully i get some new species at this weekends expo
Now on to the pictures
Extatosoma tiaratum
Adult pair

Heteropteryx dilatata
From left to right Subadult (L7) to L4 females

Subadult (L6) to L4 males

All together

KevinsWither

Arachnodemon
Alrighty those sound like really interesting specimens. Any method to remove/control unwanted ova?

Last edited:

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Alrighty those sound like really interesting specimens. Any method to remove/control unwanted ova?
Put them on ovogram/sell it :)
Some people freeze them but i'd rather keep them and sell them cheap/give them for free to people who want to keep them. Primary schools are usually very happy to take some (i'm giving quite some ova to a school soon)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Be careful to check with your local government if they are allowed in your state. @Toxoderidae s always getting frustrated he can't keep them, he's from the US as well. ;)

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Be careful to check with your local government if they are allowed in your state. @Toxoderidae s always getting frustrated he can't keep them, he's from the US as well. ;)
They aren't legal in any state as far as I know. Very strict laws, especially after what happened in California.