MOST venomous?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Scott, Debby, Dave, Tom,
Feel free to move this, if I posted wrong.
Ok, raising gifted children, who, of course have inquisitive minds, can be a challenge.
Case in point;
"Gillian, why does the sun come up? Why?"
This when the eldest one, Gavin, was but 5. :)
Needless to say, I keep myself "on the ball", now.
The new questions?
"What is the most venomous spider or tarantula? Why?"
I tried the off the hand reply of..
"Kids, I think its the "Daddy Long Legs or, one of the Australian ones."
Not good enough..
HELP! :eek:

Peace,
Gillian

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i beleave the deadilest spider in the world is the sydney funnelweb- atrax robustus(the males are also 10 times? more potent than the females which is strange) .Steve Nunn would know for sure, the Brazilian wandering is quite deadly also(sorry forgot the scientific name, Phoneynuetra Nigr...?)--Jeff

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the sydney funnel web is the third, and the top 10 are all funnelwebs. Not sure on the brazilian wanderer but I think its (Phoneutria fera or ferox.) P. nigriventer is a really nice brown with a little white. Nice genera.
Steve

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
BTW, I got bit a a daddy long legs when I was little while I was playing with it. They don't even have venom, their harvestman, not even spiders.
Steve

TarantuChimp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

This is the same species I have in my garage, they are definatly DDL spiders and not harvestmen.

I beleive that they are called Pholcus phalangioides only through looking it up in a book.

Olly

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gillian the Daddy long legs being the most venomous spider in the world is a myth..if you search you would find that there are like 2 so called daddy long legs, and one isn't venomous and the other they have never bothered to test. So search for Daddy long legs venom on the web and you will find it is an urban legend. Probably started by an arachnophobic to keep their kids from touching spiders :D

I think it would be sydney funnel or maybe wandering spider...probably sydney funnel( i heard their bite is so strong they can punch through a leather boot .:eek: )

about D.L.legs venom

http://spiders.ucr.edu/daddylonglegs.html
http://www.rochedalss.qld.edu.au/spider/daddy.htm
http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/spiders/myths1.html

Last edited:

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

yeah i'm pretty sure it was the sydney funnel web or the other funnelweb i think it was called atrax formidabilis ? also steve how did you get bit by a daddy long legs if they can't puncture your skin???

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
as far as most venomous tarantula...

i would have to go with some the old world t's perhaps S. calciatum, or a poecilotheria , haploman had a post about being bitten by a p. ornata juvie and it had serious effects imagine an adult, also when darrin got nailed by that female P. regalis did'nt sound too fun:), but then again i hear a guy got bit by a sling c. shioedtei and where it had bit him turned black, mainly it depends upon the person, but it would'nt be a pleasent experience anyhow...

Last edited:

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

its not Phoeneutria fera, its Hadronyche infensa, a funnel web from aussie. Them north american spids dont even get on the top ten.

As for Ts I would probably say the whole damned family of Stromatopelmiinae(which includes Heteroscodra and Stromatopelma), but who really knows.

also, daddy long legs isnt really a spider, but a harvestman. Still an arachnid though.

see this threads: http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnob...=9517&perpage=15&highlight=atrax&pagenumber=1

and http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10093&highlight=atrax

-V

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was about 8 years old, I felt a pinch when I was holding it, so I guessed it bit me.
Steve

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I believe the picture above is actually a spider, not a daddy long legs/harvestman. Harvestmen are distinguished by not having a constriction between their head and abdomen. The photo above does, and I think it is a photo of a Long-bodied Cellar Spider, or Pholcus phalangioides (or perhaps another species in this genus). The harvestmen suffer from three big myths: first that they are spiders (they're not), second that they can bite you and are poisonous (they can't and they're not), and third, that if your cow goes missing, you pull off one of their legs and throw it on the ground, and it will point you in the right direction.
Yes, harvestmen are in the Class Arachnida, but they are Order Opiliones.
As for the most venomous, here's a bit I found on the web:
Of the most poisonous, the Black Widow Spider (Lactrodectus mactans) of North America is the most well known of the so-called deadly spiders. Other members of the Lactrodectus family are found throughout many temperate parts of the world, such as Australia where it is known as the Red Back spider and New Zealand where it is known as the Katipo spider._
_The Sydney funnel spider (Atrax robustus) of Australia is often quoted as being the spider with the most dangerous venom._
On the other hand; according to the Guinness Book of Records the world’s most venomous spiders is the Brazilian wandering spider (Phoneutria nigriventer)._
This spider is believed to have the most active neurotoxic venom of any living spider. Its venom is so potent that only 0.006mg (0.00000021oz) is sufficient to kill a mouse.

So, that info is from a website, not my own firsthand knowledge. Hope this adds more confusion to the age old question of most venomous!;)
Oh yes, there was a good thread about a month ago with info on most venomous. It might be worth a search.
Tamara

Tamara

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oops, Olly
I re-read your statement that you thought the picture IS a spider, somehow I read it differently. Cheers
Tamara

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
whatever tha spider in the pic is it sure is cool looking

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Re: as far as most venomous tarantula...

Originally posted by Weapon-X
i would have to go with some the old world t's perhaps S. calciatum, or a poecilotheria , haploman had a post about being bitten by a p. ornata juvie and it had serious effects imagine an adult, also when darrin got nailed by that female P. regalis did'nt sound too fun:), but then again i hear a guy got bit by a sling c. shioedtei and where it had bit him turned black, mainly it depends upon the person, but it would'nt be a pleasent experience anyhow...
Ok, now I gotta know.....

Which "Darrin" was this? I imagine there may be more than one Darrin in the hobby, though Darrin Vernier comes to mind, especially since I know he's nutty enough to handle some of those more aggressive species. (I love you, Darrin!) ;)

As far as I know, Darrin Vernier has had a relatively clean record of getting bitten by spiders, until last year, when a versicolor of all things bit him. :p

Is it the same Darrin and WHEN was he bitten by a pokey?

Wysi

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: re

Hi,
As VS mentioned Hadronyche infensa is no.1, closely followed by H.formidabilis, then Atrax robustus, then H.versutus. Australian funnel-webs comprise of the entire top ten most venomous. A most dangerous list is different because it doesn't mean the strongest venom, but the spiders that have worst effect on large population numbers, such as the Phoneutria spp.

Cheers,
Steve

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its not easy just to say this or that species are the most venomous because other things should be counted for - such as size, closeness to people, commonly found, aggressivness, agility (climb or not) and venom yield in a bite.

Spiders with the most potent venom drop by drop are Latrodectus sp. (black widows) - however the most dangerous for humans are probably the australian hexathelid Atrax robustus (the males are 6 times more potent then females), this species live close to humans in suburbian Sydney. Second that most dangerous for humans are probably Phoneutria sp. (most likely Phoneutria nigriventer - P. fera are a amazon species and are not as frequently in contact with people), these ctenids or wandering spiders are commonly found in cities in Brazil where they bite people frequently with some tragic results.
More potent then Phoneutria are the other australian funnel webs (hexathlids) such as Hadronyche infensa and H. formidabilis but they are seldom in contact with humans.

/Lelle

TarantuChimp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tamara
Oops, Olly
I re-read your statement that you thought the picture IS a spider, somehow I read it differently. Cheers
Tamara
No problem, your earlier response has given me some info to, cheers

Olly

occitanus

Arachnopeon
There is one true spider absent from this list that is arguably the World's most venomous spider and that is the Six-eyed Sand/Crab Spider (Sicarius sp.) of southern Africa. Inhabiting southern Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia, the species easily disputes both the Atrax and Hydronyche species of Australia. It's cytotoxin is known to cause massive internal bleeding and hemorraging. And there is no antivenom available.

Makes it's relative the Brown Recluse look rather benign. Phoneutria does not compare either. Here is seven pages with info on this shy spider of the sands...

Sicarius 1

Sicarius 2

Sicarius 3

Sicarius 4

Sicarius 5

Sicarius 6

Sicarius 7