Most Handleable Tarantula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil

Arachnopeon
Which of these tarantulas are the most handleable, docile, and playful (calmly interested in human interaction)?
  • Caribena Versicolor

• Pterinopelma sazimai

• Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens

• Avicularia diversipes

• Dolichothele diamantinensis

• Monocentropus balfouri
    • These guys are old world, so their bites may be worse. Though it seems they are rare and rarely bite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
None. They will all bite. You’re just asking for trouble. Don’t even think about it

Hi
None of them!!
Tarantulas are not dogs or any other furry and cuddly pet.
They are wild animals and should be respected as such.Their temperament varies between individual spiders but also between moults of the same specimen. They dont bond with you and can't get used to handling.While some of them will tolerate it sometimes they don't like human skin contact and will try to avoid it.
Regards Konstantin

Civil

Arachnopeon
Remember, zero posts does not equate to zero experience. As forum members with your number of posts, for the benefit of the community, you should have that ingrained in your memory by now.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Remember, zero posts does not equate to zero experience. As forum members with your number of posts, for the benefit of the community, you should have that ingrained in your memory by now.

It’s not that. Handling is generally frowned upon by the vast majority of people here, for many reasons you can find by searching threads on this forum if you have a minute.

Hi
post count is irrelevant to experience.
Im am yet to see or hear about playful tarantula or one seeking human contact.
You asked for opinions and got it.Take it or not its up to you
Good luck with handling the D diamantinensis. One of mine when it was 1 inch sling went across half my bedroom in a bling of an eye now bigger is even faster.
If your goal is trolling you are doing great.
Thats all I have to say to you.
Getting the popcorn out.Nom ,nom...
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Then why are you asking? You seem to think you know what's what. If you want to handle a spider this is the WRONG place to be. Literally all of the species you've asked about can be pretty skittish and quick moving so even if we encouraged handling here I wouldn't say yes to a single one you asked about.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Caribena are known to be quite docile. Not worried about the bites, handled much more dangerous spiders.
Wrong. They are one of the most viscous. They have been known to put people in the hospital for weeks.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
They're not interested. If anything they'll tolerate it.
I especially wouldn't handle any of those species.

Guys let's leave it at that - we already know this thread is going to get dirty.

We already know he's going to try handling his balfouri cause "he knows what hes doing".

Let's move on and save ourselves from rising blood pressure.

Civil

Arachnopeon
It’s not that. Handling is generally frowned upon by the vast majority of people here, for many reasons you can find by searching threads on this forum if you have a minute.
I did not ask whether it was moral to handle tarantulas. Also, many of those people who are informed enough on the matter should know that each tarantula has it's own personality and what it's comfortable with. Lumping all animals into one box shows a lack of knowledge.

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I did not ask whether it was moral to handle tarantulas. Also, many of those people who are informed enough on the matter should know that each tarantula has it's own personality and what it's comfortable with. Lumping all animals into one box shows a lack of knowledge.
fumbling around with a comfortable T shows a lack of respect.

- see. i told ya. its getting to me! i gotta go lol.

Civil

Arachnopeon
They're not interested. If anything they'll tolerate it.
I especially wouldn't handle any of those species.

Guys let's leave it at that - we already know this thread is going to get dirty.

We already know he's going to try handling his balfouri cause "he knows what hes doing".

Let's move on and save ourselves from rising blood pressure.
I respect that you replied with maturity, rather than emotion and a trigger finger. Thanks.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
You’re missing the point again. Your tarantula does not need or want to be handled. That is a fact, not an opinion. It’s your call what you do with it but no one is going to recommend that you go forward with handling your Ts

basin79

ArachnoGod
You can absolutely lump tarantulas into one box. They all 100% prefer to be left alone. Done. How simple was that?

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I accept our difference of opinion, and respect that you handled yourself with maturity. Thanks.
I wouldn't say I was very mature about it, but thank you.

You will get very little support for this question here. Most keepers here stick to keeping them as observational pets.
We respect your right to do whatever you want - but it will garter very little support here.

Just because you have that experience doesn't mean something can't go wrong.

I will occasionally lightly tap the legs of my slow new worlds back into their enclosures when they are on the lip, I've done it with a brush, I've done it with a finger on smaller guys.
They've never bit me, but they have bit the brush. Just because I've done it a million times, doesn't mean I have eliminated that risk.

But I'm also not taking that risk with an old-world ever.

aight guys, I'm finna head out for real this time.

Civil

Arachnopeon
You’re missing the point again. Your tarantula does not need or want to be handled. That is a fact, not an opinion. It’s your call what you do with it but no one is going to recommend that you go forward with handling your Ts
Many emotions coming out here (not just by you) that were not mentioned in the question posed or any of my replies. Remember, tarantulas have one of the largest brain to body volume ratios out of any animal on the planet. They are not simple idiotic creatures. To think so shows a lack of biological knowledge. Of course there's a reason why many tarantulas are not handles (other than their hobbyists being too terrified), the tarantulas could be hurt if they or the hobbyist are skittish.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The more accurate answer is that tarantulas are meant to be observational pets and not touchable pets. There are times when it becomes an exception, but in general tarantulas are not meant to be handled. Tarantulas do not possess the same cognitive level of thinking as reptiles which means they are mostly instinctual animals and not animals that can be tamed. This is why tarantulas tend to get bothered or stressed from unintentional or any handling. Some people tend to bunch reptiles with tarantulas but it shouldn't be the case. Reptiles at least have a level of cognitive thinking and can be tamed to be more docile/handleable unlike tarantulas and invertebrates in general. I hope this gives some insight.

Civil

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't say I was very mature about it, but thank you.

You will get very little support for this question here. Most keepers here stick to keeping them as observational pets.
We respect your right to do whatever you want - but it will garter very little support here.

Just because you have that experience doesn't mean something can't go wrong.

I will occasionally lightly tap the legs of my slow new worlds back into their enclosures when they are on the lip, I've done it with a brush, I've done it with a finger on smaller guys.
They've never bit me, but they have bit the brush. Just because I've done it a million times, doesn't mean I have eliminated that risk.

But I'm also not taking that risk with an old-world ever.

aight guys, I'm finna head out for real this time.
Thanks for the first constructive post by any of the repliers. At least you shared your experience, which is partially why and how you formed the opinion you hold now.

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Many emotions coming out here (not just by you) that were not mentioned in the question posed or any of my replies. Remember, tarantulas have one of the largest brain to body volume ratios out of any animal on the planet. They are not simple idiotic creatures. To think so shows a lack of biological knowledge. Of course there's a reason why many tarantulas are not handles (other than their hobbyists being too terrified), the tarantulas could be hurt if they or the hobbyist are skittish.
Not bringing emotions into it, just facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.