Most Handleable Tarantula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Disclaimer:
M. Balfouri most playful. They really enjoy you letting them crawl on your face and really want to be petted. You can even let them eat out of your hand.

Joking aside it is advisable not to handle tarantulas. However it is your money you are spending not ours so no one can tell you what to do. We can only give advice.

Last edited:

Civil

Arachnopeon
You left out T Stirmi. Definitely the most playful. Be sure to get on that’s at least 5”. And post the video when you hold it please. 🍿
Disclaimer:
M. Balfouri most playful. They really enjoy you letting them crawl on your face and really want to be petted. You can even let them eat out of your hand.

Joking aside it is advisable not to handle tarantulas. However it is your money you are spending not ours so no one can tell you what to do. We can only give advice.
Be very careful with your "joking". A child or amateur could read your post out of context and be seriously injured. Not good for them, nor the community. No matter how much fun you get out of trolling, your enjoyment isn't worth injuring others at your expense. The end result is you adding "bloat" and negligence.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Be very careful with your "joking". A child or amateur could read your post out of context and be seriously injured. Not good for them, nor the community. No matter how much fun you get out of trolling, your enjoyment isn't worth injuring others at your expense. The end result is you adding "bloat" and negligence.
Do you know what a Disclaimer is? If not I'll give you the definition.

Also your original post on 'what is the most handable' and you yourself have OW species in it?

So when you're trying to be that standout SJW take a look at yourself first.

Civil

Arachnopeon
Do you know what a Disclaimer is? If not I'll give you the definition.

Also your original post on 'what is the most handable' and you yourself have OW species in it?

So when you're trying to be that standout SJW take a look at yourself first.
Do you think all children know what a disclaimer is? If you want to use a "disclaimer", at least use it correctly. Of course you didn't think about the consequences of your trolling, however those lapses in judgement (yours and other repliers) could injure others.

Asking a question is constructive. Hence the phrase that even trolls should know, "there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers". Knowingly posting false information that could result in people's injuries is simply negligent and immature.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you have experience with other tarantula species from the Homoeomma genus? Does the genus in general tend to be more calm and curious, compared to other tarantulas? From your experience with Homoeomma, is their temperament also consistent (molting, feeding, cleaning, etc)?
Yes
No, but species within Homoe are not like each other. Only 2 that I'm aware are relatively calm, and only 1 is "curious", the others aren't. Search forum. And, some chilensis can be like OWs. There's a user on here that has one, with venom dripping.
Yes- but not compared to each other within the genus, they are all different.

Handling Ts is bad idea for the T. People that do it are selfish, and when the T is injuried or dies, only the T animal suffers, the human animals continue living life as if nothing happened. Must be nice to trivialize life so easily for those people, other people take such responsibility more seriously.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Do you think all children know what a disclaimer is? If you want to use a "disclaimer", at least use it correctly. Of course you didn't think about the consequences of your trolling, however those lapses in judgement (yours and other repliers) could injure others.

Asking a question is constructive. Hence the phrase that even trolls should know, "there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers". Knowingly posting false information that could result in people's injuries is simply negligent and immature.
Wow still talking after I dropped the mic and walked away, amazing.

Go back and really I mean really take a good look at your original, irresponsible and really ignorant post.

Your title of your post and it's contents is one of the worse I've seen in a while especially when you include OW species.

With your own words don't you even think that is extremely irresponsible especially if children read that???? What no comment???🤣

Your self entitlement of thinking you have the right to dictate to people what is right or wrong when you are 100% in the wrong yourself is simply an astonishing exposure of the kind of SJW you are.

The best thing and most responsible thing that can happen is a moderator deletes your post, this entire thread as your original post is trolling👈 the community to begin with.

People coming to arachnoboards for the first time and spot your post is the biggest mis-information they will ever receive.

*drops mic, walks away a second time*

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
  • Caribena Versicolor - Like all NW arboreal Ts, they have incredible bolts of speed which means it could go from you hand to your head in an instant. If someone freaks when this happens
  • it can be fatal to the T
  • Pterinopelma sazimai - Nervous to skittish, so again, fall, escape or potential bite is a factor. Risky with a pricey T
  • Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens - fairly mellow T, but likes to eat. Typically sees a hand as a food item. So they bite, pretty common
  • Avicularia diversipes - see C versicolor
  • Dolichothele diamantinensis - pretty pricey T, skittish, bolts quickly. Again, a fall or losing the spider is a high risk. Risky with a pricey T
  • Monocentropus balfouri - it's a baboon tarantula. Nuff said
So of your list NONE is a wise handling option, and as others have stated, handling is typically a risk to the T and the Keeper

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
  • Caribena Versicolor - Like all NW arboreal Ts, they have incredible bolts of speed which means it could go from you hand to your head in an instant. If someone freaks when this happens
  • it can be fatal to the T
  • Pterinopelma sazimai - Nervous to skittish, so again, fall, escape or potential bite is a factor. Risky with a pricey T
  • Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens - fairly mellow T, but likes to eat. Typically sees a hand as a food item. So they bite, pretty common
  • Avicularia diversipes - see C versicolor
  • Dolichothele diamantinensis - pretty pricey T, skittish, bolts quickly. Again, a fall or losing the spider is a high risk. Risky with a pricey T
  • Monocentropus balfouri - it's a baboon tarantula. Nuff said
So of your list NONE is a wise handling option, and as others have stated, handling is typically a risk to the T and the Keeper
And of course, price of the T shouldn't even be a factor in someone's decision-making on whether or not to potentially put the animal in danger. Even the most common species shouldn't be disregarded as something disposable or experimental, just for one's own benefit. We get pets to look after them and make sure they live a long, happy life. T's are one of the easiest to look after; there's no need to jeopardise that by doing something that could result in it needlessly dying.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
And of course, price of the T shouldn't even be a factor in someone's decision-making on whether or not to potentially put the animal in danger. Even the most common species shouldn't be disregarded as something disposable or experimental, just for one's own benefit. We get pets to look after them and make sure they live a long, happy life. T's are one of the easiest to look after; there's no need to jeopardise that by doing something that could result in it needlessly dying.
On this I totally agree, my point is secondary, being that, if one is planning on doing risky business, one should be aware of the financial pitfalls. When we were kids and wanted to go do slide contests out in the Sloughs, no one brought a good car. But a totally valid point on the animal's behalf.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
This is why I love this site. Every time I have a short break, there's a pile of gold waiting for me upon return.

You've come on here (I'm sure with the best of intentions), a forum full of keepers who base their husbandry upon logic and tried-&-tested methods, and ask a very illogical question. How about we briefly look at the science behind why tarantulas don't like being handled. All tarantulas have dense, hypersensitive scopula pads under their feet. This is what enables them to climb smooth surfaces. It also allows them to detect small vibrations around them and to discern if what they are touching is alive or a part of their environment. In addition to this, to the best of our knowledge, tarantulas are incapable of forming emotional bonds with things as their brains are too simple, and they have never demonstrated a capability to do so to any reputable keepers or scientists (correct me if I'm wrong).

So what do you think happens when you place a solitary creature with terrible eyesight and cognitive ability, and insanely vibration-sensitive feet, onto a human hand? The spider immediately feels the unfamiliar pulse of our bloodstream, the uncomfortable texture of our skin, and deduces it is walking on a living creature. In a spiders mind, living things fall into a few categories: threats, prey, or a mate. Where do you think a human falls into those categories?

And rather unfortunately, I can say I speak from experience in this subject. I have indeed handled a few of my Aussie OW's when I began and can assure you they all hate being touched so much, that they will flip upside down just to avoid touching your skin. But don't just take it from me, review any tarantula handling video and observe the immediate change in a tarantula's body language as soon as someone puts it on their hand.

To conclude, in the face of all of these logic based, scientifically proven facts, how can one come to the conclusion that a tarantula enjoys being handled? Or is it that wishful thinking makes people conclude Avic and Caribena defensive behaviour (rubbing themselves against attackers) is them being playful? It's almost impossible to NOT bring morals and emotions into this topic when the act of handling them is undisputedly selfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.