Most Handleable Tarantula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil

Arachnopeon
The more accurate answer is that tarantulas are meant to be observational pets and not touchable pets. There are times when it becomes an exception, but in general tarantulas are not meant to be handled. Tarantulas do not possess the same cognitive level of thinking as reptiles which means they are mostly instinctual animals and not animals that can be tamed. This is why tarantulas tend to get bothered or stressed from unintentional or any handling. Some people tend to bunch reptiles with tarantulas but it shouldn't be the case. Reptiles at least have a level of cognitive thinking and can be tamed to be more docile/handleable unlike tarantulas and invertebrates in general. I hope this gives some insight.
So you've never worked with, or known a friend with a tarantula that didn't get stressed from handling? Also, thanks for the post. I respect your opinion.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks for the first constructive post by any of the repliers. At least you shared your experience, which is partially why and how you formed the opinion you hold now.
Civil, you might as well stop with all the bloat. You've been seen here more times than you know albeit with a different name.

It's sad that even now after all the "help my tarantula fell" type threads new handling threads still appear.

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
Which of these tarantulas are the most handleable, docile, and playful (calmly interested in human interaction)?
  • Caribena Versicolor

• Pterinopelma sazimai

• Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens

• Avicularia diversipes

• Dolichothele diamantinensis

• Monocentropus balfouri
    • These guys are old world, so their bites may be worse. Though it seems they are rare and rarely bite.
No

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
So you've never worked with, or known a friend with a tarantula that didn't get stressed from handling? Also, thanks for the post. I respect your opinion.
I've never seen any old world tarantulas being handled before because we know how dangerous it can be. But I've seen a bunch on new world tarantulas being handled which either one of three things happened. One, is that the tarantula starts pacing slowly up the hand, then gradually picks up the pace to flee. Second, is that the tarantula instead kicks hairs or poops (Avics) on the person trying to force it to be handled as self-defense. The last one is getting bit, which is what happens when the tarantula isn't respected and left alone. I have never seen a tarantula that was actually tamed before which is impossible in the first place.

I've worked with a lot tarantulas, but in terms of skill, handling isn't on most people's list if you're an experienced keeper. Your list of handleable tarantulas on your first post does have species I owned, but even then I would never handled any of them. I've worked with everything on your list but two of them (Y. diversipes and D. diamantinensis). But from a person who owns a ton of C. versicolor, a ton of M. balfouri, a few of P. sazimai, and a couple of GBB (before my female passed), they shouldn't be handled just to be safe and to respect them individually.

But yea, M. balfouri is a big no for handling, since it's an old world species. Take my advice on that one, from a person with like over 30+ M. balfouri's....

Civil

Arachnopeon
I've never seen any old world tarantulas being handled before because we know how dangerous it can be. But I've seen a bunch on new world tarantulas being handled which either one of three things happened. One, is that the tarantula starts pacing slowly up the hand, then gradually picks up the pace to flee. Second, is that the tarantula instead kicks hairs or poops (Avics) on the person trying to force it to be handled as self-defense. The last one is getting bit, which is what happens when the tarantula isn't respected and left alone. I have never seen a tarantula that was actually tamed before which is impossible in the first place.

I've worked with a lot tarantulas, but in terms of skill, handling isn't on most people's list if you're an experienced keeper. Your list of handleable tarantulas on your first post does have species I owned, but even then I would never handled any of them. I've worked with everything on your list but two of them (Y. diversipes and D. diamantinensis). But from a person who owns a ton of C. versicolor, a ton of M. balfouri, a few of P. sazimai, and a couple of GBB (before my female passed), they shouldn't be handled just to be safe and to respect them individually.

But yea, M. balfouri is a big no for handling, since it's an old world species. Take my advice on that one, from a person with like over 30+ M. balfouri's....
Thanks. Which of the species mentioned, excluding Y. diversipes and D. diamantinensis (the two you don't have experience with), and excluding M. balfouri, did you see have the most consistent temperament (through molting, feeding, cleaning, etc interaction)?

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Thanks. Which of the species mention, excluding Y. diversipes and D. diamantinensis (the two you don't have experience with), and excluding M. balfouri, did you see have the most consistent temperament (through molting, feeding, cleaning, etc interaction)?
Well, excluding the handling I'd say C. versicolor or GBB, but people tend to over-do the care with versicolor which is why many die in the hands of newer hobbyists/keepers. I have to say that species and specimens will vary and people will have better experiences with some species in comparison to others. So my answer is not definite so in terms of what is the best choice, it will vary drastically from person to person. So I recommend to ask around and get other opinions as well.

kjm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Which of these tarantulas are the most handleable, docile, and playful (calmly interested in human interaction)?
  • Caribena Versicolor

• Pterinopelma sazimai

• Avicularia diversipes

• Monocentropus balfouri
    • These guys are old world, so their bites may be worse. Though it seems they are rare and rarely bite.
I have to agree with the majority, none of these are T’s I would “play” with or handle.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

TarantulaMel

Arachnopeon
Caribena are known to be quite docile. Not worried about the bites, handled much more dangerous spiders.
You've pretty much answered your own question.As most on AB would tell you not to handle your T.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I did not ask whether it was moral to handle tarantulas. Also, many of those people who are informed enough on the matter should know that each tarantula has it's own personality and what it's comfortable with. Lumping all animals into one box shows a lack of knowledge.
So which is it then?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you want a spider that you can safely handle, might I suggest this one? It's big, fluffy, easy to care for, and totally docile:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Many emotions coming out here (not just by you) that were not mentioned in the question posed or any of my replies. Remember, tarantulas have one of the largest brain to body volume ratios out of any animal on the planet. They are not simple idiotic creatures. To think so shows a lack of biological knowledge. Of course there's a reason why many tarantulas are not handles (other than their hobbyists being too terrified), the tarantulas could be hurt if they or the hobbyist are skittish.
Skipping the handling part, because they're all glass, so it's a no for me unless it's an emergency... it seems one thing you're trying to get at is which tarantula shows the most interest in their surroundings. Homoeomma chilensis would be one to look at for that. Even my tiny spiderling will walk up to me/tools/opening lids rather than away. They've made three burrows in the deli pot and explore around between them. If something changes, they will be there.

That said, I've seen similar interest in surroundings from hissing cockroaches. They're much more sturdy, so can be handled without risking their safety.

Crazyarachnoguy

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter
I’ve handled my M.balfouri, but only because it was climbing out of its cage and I had no other option. None of them

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I say don't handle unless you absolutely must. Tarantulas are wild animals, and to them we will always be one thing: potential predators. A wild animal threatened by a predator will either try to escape or it will defend itself. The cost-benefit ratio is here is crystal clear. Handling isn't worth the risk to you or the spider.

Eva

Arachnosquire
  • Caribena Versicolor

• Pterinopelma sazimai

• Avicularia diversipes

• Monocentropus balfouri
None of the ones you've mentioned is in the least interested in human interaction.
As of the one who is the most disinterested, only you should know, since every specimen is different.
So you go ahead, answer your own question (since you know best anyway) and give your Ts a nice cuddle.
Don't forget to take footage and post it here afterwards:
LINK

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
  • Caribena Versicolor

• Pterinopelma sazimai

• Avicularia diversipes

• Monocentropus balfouri
You left out T Stirmi. Definitely the most playful. Be sure to get on that’s at least 5”. And post the video when you hold it please. 🍿

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
  • Caribena Versicolor

• Pterinopelma sazimai

• Avicularia diversipes

• Monocentropus balfouri
None- research on the forum

Skipping the handling part, because they're all glass, so it's a no for me unless it's an emergency... it seems one thing you're trying to get at is which tarantula shows the most interest in their surroundings. Homoeomma chilensis would be one to look at for that. Even my tiny spiderling will walk up to me/tools/opening lids rather than away. They've made three burrows in the deli pot and explore around between them. If something changes, they will be there.

That said, I've seen similar interest in surroundings from hissing cockroaches. They're much more sturdy, so can be handled without risking their safety.

This is the only species that does this almost unilaterally. It’s rather odd.

Civil

Arachnopeon

This is the only species that does this almost unilaterally. It’s rather odd.
Do you have experience with other tarantula species from the Homoeomma genus? Does the genus in general tend to be more calm and curious, compared to other tarantulas? From your experience with Homoeomma, is their temperament also consistent (molting, feeding, cleaning, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.