mcluskyisms photo's.....

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for replying! I use a canon rebel eos and some make of Fujilm.
I'll have to look into your make! :)
No worries :)

I recommend getting a decent photo editing program too, Ive been using Photoshop 7 for a while now and its really good!

matt82

Arachnoknight
Nice pics of the new enclosure Chris. Just curious as to how you made that little pocket in the bottom left corner there, is there a piece of wood there that's just been back-filled with soil? Setup looks the business. How many of the H. villosella are going in there? Cheers :)

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice pics of the new enclosure Chris. Just curious as to how you made that little pocket in the bottom left corner there, is there a piece of wood there that's just been back-filled with soil? Setup looks the business. How many of the H. villosella are going in there? Cheers :)
Hey Matt :)

You're right, there is a slab of cork bark in that corner and I just packed coir on top of it to keep it in place, as for the H.villosella I have a group of 4 here although they've been kept solitary since they were spiderlings. They have all just started moulting into adults in the last couple of weeks, up to now I have 2 MM's and one AF (I'm still waiting on the fourth to moult to confirm sex). So I plan on pairing up the female and then housing her in there by herself, hopefully she will create a sac in there and it will be allowed to hatch to begin the communal.

I'm hoping the fourth one I'm waiting on to moult is female too, then I will keep her solitary and pair her too. If she creates a sac then I will most likely pull it at around 20 days and artificially incubate it (that is if she doesn't eat it, which this species are renowned for). I haven't really thought much what I'll do from there although I will probably sell a few and may also pop a few into the communal depending on whether or not the female in there has created offspring or not.

matt82

Arachnoknight
That's an excellent little project by the sounds of it. Here's hoping for two of them to be female so!

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Heterothele villosella - Failed Pairing Attempt

Well I had planned to wait a few weeks although the male made a sperm web during the night, the female is nearly three weeks after her moult so I fed her today and attempted a pairing tonight. The male immediately got his groove on although she wasn't feeling it so I'll try again in a few days.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Heterothele villosella - AF in Communal Enclosure

Decided to put the female in the communal enclosure the other night after yet another failed pairing (the male was lucky to escape minus a leg). Once she has settled in fully in the enclosure I will attempt another pairing, I may even cohabit the male for a bit depending on how that goes.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Grammostola rosea RCF - Pairing Female #1

This girl was paired back in the late summer although didn't look to have "taken". So with the male making a fresh sperm web after visiting female #2 I thought I'd give him another go with this female. Quite a fast pairing (5mins) and once he flipper her over onto her back he was sensible to make a sharp exit...

matt82

Arachnoknight
Nice update photos of the H. villosella enclosure, hopefully the next pairing yields results for you. Best with the G. rosea pairing too!