Matt82's Tarantulas

matt82

Arachnoknight
Nice pics Matt! Especially the GBB. :)
Thanks a lot, that is my favourite T to observe, they're excellent display Ts if the enclosure allows a good view; great to watch them bolster their webbing, and of course, annihilating their prey!

Spot the flailing cricket leg; game over for that one...

Back To The Lair - Post-Hunt by inverta_shot, on Flickr

OBT
This one has recently resurfaced to let me know she is still alive... She was out in full view, but no sooner had I approached the enclosure than she bolted for cover and adopted this familiar view; nothing but legs :D
An easily spooked OBT, but seems quite secure as a result of the ever-growing burrow, can't even see her at the bottom of it! This T is an orange assassin, always clears her plate, but I never catch her feeding!

Archetypical Pet Hole... by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
GBBs are great, mine just came out from a molt not long ago. I give her 2 adult lateralis sometimes and she just takes them like nothing. I need to get myself an obt too :). Nice pics again!

matt82

Arachnoknight
GBBs are great, mine just came out from a molt not long ago. I give her 2 adult lateralis sometimes and she just takes them like nothing. I need to get myself an obt too :). Nice pics again!
GBB are awesome, mine was given a large locust as a "treat" a couple of months ago, after a very brief struggle to subdue it, practically all of it was consumed. Needless to say it didn't feed again after that until after the molt!

I wouldn't give it such a feed too often, not at it's current size anyway, but i had some there for feeding to an AF Marbled Mantis, so threw one in to the GBB too... Chomped! :clap:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great pics, Matt! GBBs are definitely awesome! Unless they are close to a molt, they never disappoint when it comes to feeding response.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
GBB are awesome, mine was given a large locust as a "treat" a couple of months ago, after a very brief struggle to subdue it, practically all of it was consumed. Needless to say it didn't feed again after that until after the molt!

I wouldn't give it such a feed too often, not at it's current size anyway, but i had some there for feeding to an AF Marbled Mantis, so threw one in to the GBB too... Chomped! :clap:
I feed the freshly molted ones, and its very seldom that i do that, but yea i am also cutting back on her feeding haha! They do eat up everything though!

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice photo of the P. pulcher... one of my favorite species!

matt82

Arachnoknight
Great pics, Matt! GBBs are definitely awesome! Unless they are close to a molt, they never disappoint when it comes to feeding response.
...and that's a fact! Not only a guaranteed response, but generally a frantically enthusiastic response!

I feed the freshly molted ones, and its very seldom that i do that, but yea i am also cutting back on her feeding haha! They do eat up everything though!
Lol, I actually put my Ts through a little fasting period over the Christmas time; no harm ocasionally, especially for the gluttons!

nice photo of the P. pulcher... one of my favorite species!
Thanks Bosing, one of mine too... my only regret with P. pulcher is that I should have bought up more slings last year when I got this one :D

matt82

Arachnoknight
Very nice collection.
Cheers for looking Matttyb, it is a modest collection compared to some, but I like the selection I've acquired so far. Lots for on the wish-list, but that goes for most keepers, I imagine :) .

Here's a quick snap-shot through the glass of this beautiful P. murinus, on a rarely seen excursion across her domain.

P. murinus by inverta_shot, on Flickr

She was a fair distance from her burrow, but any doubts that she had lost her way were dispelled when the flash went off... on her toes back to her underground lair like an orange blur.
I don't like disturbing this particular T by trying to get photos, I've made good efforts to keep that to an absolute minimum with her, on account of her skittish/nervous temperament, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a quick photo here!

I haven't properly measured this one so no exact DLS, but comparing her visually to one or two of the others, i would say a minimum of 3.5" DLS.

Last edited:

matt82

Arachnoknight
C. cyaneopubescens: Webbing...

Here's a few shots of the GBB bolstering its webbing this evening. S/he normally bolts back to the safety of the retreat as soon as the lid comes off the enclosure, but seemed relatively at peace with it this time (initially!), so I grabbed a few photos.

GBB: Webbing It Up by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Cobwebs, GBB-style... by inverta_shot, on Flickr

C. cyaneopubescens: Home Improvements... by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Screw You Cameraman, I'm Off!! by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Camera Shy GBB: Homeward Bound... by inverta_shot, on Flickr

matt82

Arachnoknight
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets that treatment. Nice crisp pics of a gorgeous girl!
Cheers Jeff, glad you liked the pics, and here's hoping that this one is indeed female! That should be easy enough to determine from the next molted exo!

And yeah, s/he looked to be happy to oblige for some photos, but all of a sudden headed home! (there is a tunnel that goes from the entrance shown in the last pics, that goes all the way under that log on the right; that's the base camp) At least there was no orange cloud of hairs kicked, so hopefully it didn't fell too threatened!

---------- Post added 02-03-2012 at 02:21 PM ----------

L1 Cyriocosmus sellatus (apx DLS: 3-4mm)

I recieved 4 of these slings from Craig Mackay this morning. (cheers again Craig)

L1 Cyriocosmus sellatus by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Due to a postal delay (and below freezing temperatures the last few days) all 4 appeared to be DOA, but now 2 of the 4 are fully active, with one of the others now showing signs of life as well. Fingers crossed for that one.

These slings have shown signs of true grit, considering that at least 2 of them have survived a 5 day overseas trip from Scotland to Ireland in sub-zero temperatures!

Last edited:

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Due to a postal delay (and below freezing temperatures the last few days) all 4 appeared to be DOA, but now 2 of the 4 are fully active, with one of the others now showing signs of life as well. Fingers crossed for that one.

These slings have shown signs of true grit, considering that at least 2 of them have survived a 5 day overseas trip from Scotland to Ireland in sub-zero temperatures!
Wow, those are some tough little slings! I've got my fingers crossed for you that they all make it. They are pretty cool looking at that size too. Very nice pics of the GBB as well. :)

spiderworlduk

Arachnopeon
some nice pics here matey well done, love the green bottle blue chromatapelma cyaneopubescens very nice stunning colours

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow that thing is TINY! Nice job capturing it and wish you the best with their recuperation

matt82

Arachnoknight
some nice pics here matey well done, love the green bottle blue chromatapelma cyaneopubescens very nice stunning colours
Cheers mate, that GBB is a great T to keep, very active and not overly friendly; a good combo for a T IMO :D

Wow, those are some tough little slings! I've got my fingers crossed for you that they all make it. They are pretty cool looking at that size too. Very nice pics of the GBB as well. :)
Wow that thing is TINY! Nice job capturing it and wish you the best with their recuperation
Thanks for the well wishes with these slings folks, I really believe if it wasn't for the cold weather in transit, and the unexpected postal delay, I would be looking at 4 healthy C. sellatus slings now. I would have loved to pick them up in person, but I jumped at the bargain when it was there and subsequently, some of these slings have paid the price; you live and learn!!

Ominous update on these: Friday Feb 3rd - 1 DOA, 1 showed signs of life, but curled up and died soon after rehousing. The 2 remaining slings showed good signs of a full recovery.

Saturday Feb 4th - 1 of the survivors found in classic death curl position
(my theory is, even though it looked like recovering, the sudden jump from very cold to optimum temps may have shocked it's tiny system)

Not all doom and gloom though, as the remaining sling (the one that always showed promise, and the one photographed above) really shows a lot of promise still; a good healthy stance at all times, and just attacked a couple of pinheads with gusto :clap::clap:

All in all, these slings were unbelievably good value, and for what I paid, P&P included, I will be happy with one healthy sling... if you ask me in 3-4 months was it worth it, for one survivor, I will say yes indeed! I might reconsider ordering L1 slings in such unforgiving weather conditions in the future though!! :embarrassed:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that about the C.sellatus Matt, hopefully there will be more of these around in the not too distant future!!!

Nice pics as always chief. :)

matt82

Arachnoknight
Sorry to hear that about the C.sellatus Matt, hopefully there will be more of these around in the not too distant future!!!

Nice pics as always chief. :)
Cheers man, to be honest I am optimistic about it, 4 sellatus would have been great, but for the price Mr. Mackay was selling them for, even one survivor worked out at a bargain :clap:

The surviving sling will thrive, I've no doubts about that. It has dug down, denned up and webbed up; fantastic feeding response, and eating capacity too!