Matt82's Tarantulas

matt82

Arachnoknight
Hi, my name's Matt, I'm from Ireland, kind of new to the forum (long time reader, very rarely posted).
Best way to introduce myself on a T forum? pics of my small collection... =)

I've been keeping various exotics for a number of years, started keeping T's just under a year ago, and through one reason or another, I am keeping soley inverts now (T's and mantids)

Here are a few photos of the T's I have acquired so far...

First up my first T, Avicularia versicolor (received as a 25mm / 1" LS sling)

Avic. versicolor - recently-molted specimen by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Next up, my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (got this one as a 10mm / 0.4" LS sling)

GBB webbing by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Next, my Avicularia geroldi (got 2 of these as L2 slings, sold one, should have kept it!!) Now apx 80mm / 3" LS

Avic. geroldi - Juvi by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Next up, a T I really like, and is starting to show some of the amazing coloration that is to come; Psalmopoeus pulcher
(got this one as an L2 sling)

Panama Blonde - Juvi, 3" / 75mm L.S by inverta_shot, on Flickr

And last, but certainly not least, my Pterinochilus murinus
(got this beauty as an L2 also, but she is now outgrowing the rest at an alarming rate!!)

Orange Boss Tarantula by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :D

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, nice first photo post! That pulcher is hot!

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
have i ever told that i jealeous of the psalmo pulcher...I have never had one, and i want one so bad

matt82

Arachnoknight
Wow, nice first photo post! That pulcher is hot!
Thanks, don't be fooled though, I chose the half decent photos to show, left the duds to one side :D P. pulchers are mini Hitlers, but fantastic looking T's.

Had a look through your thread, awesome collection, as I was catching up, I didn't look through it all, but some class species there, nice one!

have i ever told that i jealeous of the psalmo pulcher...I have never had one, and i want one so bad
Cheers, IMO they are pretty unique T's alright, possibly a slightly underrated member of the genus. In saying that, they are my favourite in the genus, although P. irminia is a superb contender!

Here's a couple more photos of that P. pulcher from that set of pics, since it is a popular one!

Top-down macro job...

P. pulcher by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Leg setae...

Leggy Blonde... by inverta_shot, on Flickr

These are from apx one month ago, and this particular T just moulted the other day, looking even better (the leg setae in particular have an even more saturated, copper/ red tone) and s/he is acting a lot more defensive!! Time for a re-house, that will be a barrel of laughs!! :wall:

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, don't be fooled though, I chose the half decent photos to show, left the duds to one side :D P. pulchers are mini Hitlers, but fantastic looking T's.

Had a look through your thread, awesome collection, as I was catching up, I didn't look through it all, but some class species there, nice one!
Yeah, thats what a lot of photography is, taking a ton of pics to pick out a few decent ones. And thank you sir, I appreciate it. Most of my pics are pretty weak, it's been a process learning how to get good shots. Neither the camera nor the photographer are very good at capturing their true colors and beauty...but getting better :)

matt82

Arachnoknight
Nice shots pal :)
Cheers mate! Gonna try get a few snaps of that post-moult P. pulcher over the next couple of days. A. geroldi looks ready to upgrade the armour too!

Yeah, thats what a lot of photography is, taking a ton of pics to pick out a few decent ones.
Good job we have digital photography these days, or else I'd spend a small fortune on rolls of film!

Last edited:

matt82

Arachnoknight
Last edited by a moderator:

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow man, nice lookin T's...and ya, P. pulcher is lookin killer!

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Nice photos! I especially love your versicolour in the first post, looks really soft and beautiful! Great collection :).

matt82

Arachnoknight
Nice photos! I especially love your versicolour in the first post, looks really soft and beautiful! Great collection :).
Cheers, that Avic is a ball of fluff alright, looks even more so in that photo for some reason, sure is shaping up into a nice versi :) Thanks for looking!

2 fresh moults this week, as well as the P. pulcher, the A. geroldi moulted yesterday. Oh, and the OBT moulted apx 10 days ago, but I will have to wait for her to resurface for a photo op.

matt82

Arachnoknight
2 recently molted Ts

The first of last week's molted Ts: P. pulcher. This one has fed since it molted. I took him (probable male) out of the enclosure for a few photos today. After he done his best Usain Bolt impersonation across the room, he finally settled on some bark for some shots.

New DLS: 3.75"/ 90-95mm in normal stance, apx 4"/100mm in the stretched stance seen in the first photo...

P. pulcher - post-molt stretch... by inverta_shot, on Flickr

P. pulcher - carapace shot by inverta_shot, on Flickr

P. pulcher - Scopulate Forelegs by inverta_shot, on Flickr

P. pulcher - Hind Leg Detail by inverta_shot, on Flickr

And one more molt this week; Avic. geroldi. The camera battery went dead just as I started to get some shots, so only two here. This T also appears to be male, both of the moulted exos were too mangled to revive into shape, so just going on an uneducated visual assessment of both. I was gobsmacked to see how much the navy-blue had intensified, also, the abdomen has all but lost the red colouration, and is now almost totally black.

New DLS: Basically exactly the same as the P. pulcher, a little bigger maybe.

Avic. geroldi - Post-molt by inverta_shot, on Flickr

Tarsus/Metatarsus Detail by inverta_shot, on Flickr

The OBT has also molted, but still waiting to catch a shot of her. Her burrow goes deep now, so VERY rarely see her. Well last few evenings she has been out and about, but bolts away every time I try get a pic :D

Last edited by a moderator:

matt82

Arachnoknight
Awesome shots Matt, seriously need me some P.pulcher...

:drool:
Cheers Chris, go for it man, they're class Ts, you'll like em to keep, and photograph, great range of colour to them; always impressed after this one molts :worship: .

I got that one from TSS about 7 months ago as a 15-20mm sling based on the adult photos alone (went there looking for P. irminia actually!, but sold out). Thought I'd be waiting a long time to see this colouration appear, but they're quite speedy growers.
Cheers!

matt82

Arachnoknight
Reeally fantastic pics again! Ur details are amazing, love ur Ts. Keep em coming! :).
:D Cheers, glad you liked them; really impressed with how the P. pulcher & A. geroldi progressed post-molt. Both put on a fair amount of size too.

matt82

Arachnoknight
Post- Molt GBB from Nov '11

No newly molted T to show off here, or even a new photo as such, but new to AB, so thought I would share it as s/he was looking particularly well post-molt...

This photo is from about mid November last, when I rearranged the GBB setup to allow some more space for this fast grower; probably the only time you'll see a web-free GBB enclosure...
It had also just molted, hence the small abdomen, I wonder if my guess at male for this one will prove out? The next molt should help in a positive ID.

Greenbottle Blue: post-molt by inverta_shot, on Flickr