LOST OBT JUVENILE IN MY PORTLAND APARTMENT

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I had warning. Hes just so little i fear i will never find him.
Your tarantula or your landlord?

On a serious note, to piggyback on earlier posters...look at night. But another good thing with that is if you have a red flashlight. Their vision in that wavelength is pretty much nonexistent from what I've read so if you have one or can get one (they aren't very expensive) then use that as the regular flashlight might startle it.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
This is so not true! please look up the Tenant Landlord rights laws. In an emergency they can enter without warning but otherwise a once or twice a year inspection with 24hr notice is needed.
Some other states may vary a bit but most have laws to protect both the landlord and tenant. (landlords can word the lease how ever they want but if its against the sates laws that part is void)

OP, I hope you find your T before drastic measures are needed. GL
My apologies then. Living in a college town, myself, as well as many friends and classmates, we can have our rooms checked without notice (town ordinances).

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
My apologies then. Living in a college town, myself, as well as many friends and classmates, we can have our rooms checked without notice (town ordinances).
Yeah it seems to be different by state as well as county/cites putting there own spin on it.
Here in WA they have to give written or face to face notice with a date/time of inspection included 24hrs in advance unless its an emergency or they suspect property abandonment.
I'm afraid that an property owner that just opened a door unannounced and walked in might not walk out under there own power.
We had an uninformed 3rd world immigrant (Africa) that owned property next door walk up and enter without even knocking just turn the handle and walk in More than once. he stated it was his to do as he pleased. (That was expected in his country) The young single mom was not happy neither was her naked boyfriend ;). One might think that you could easily get shot by a supersized armed occupant when opening the door without permission.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyway I forgot to mention that when a P.murinus is on the loose this is the theme song for that is always a 'bitter sausage' issue:

:)

louise f

Arachnoangel
Oh man that really sucks to have a T like that on the loose. I hope you find it really soon, for the sake of your kids. <3

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
One might think that you could easily get shot by a supersized armed occupant when opening the door without permission.

Doesn't take a 'supersized occupant' to shoot someone who just walks into their place. Half the households in the US have firearms. A lot of women have guns these days, they're tired of being victims. When someone enters a house/apartment/condo without being let in, how is the occupant supposed to know it's not a burglar or rapist? How does that person know the occupant's not in the shower, going to the bathroom, or in a romantic situation? Besides being arrogant and irresponsible to just walk in on someone like that, it's also dangerous.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Doesn't take a 'supersized occupant' to shoot someone who just walks into their place. Half the households in the US have firearms. A lot of women have guns these days, they're tired of being victims. When someone enters a house/apartment/condo without being let in, how is the occupant supposed to know it's not a burglar or rapist? How does that person know the occupant's not in the shower, going to the bathroom, or in a romantic situation? Besides being arrogant and irresponsible to just walk in on someone like that, it's also dangerous.
LOL S/B surprised occupant

cold blood

Staff member
It's common in the US. For my apartment, the landlord doesn't need to ask.

Put some towels/blankets/etc. on the floor. Anything you think a spider would like to hide under. Search during the night and tell your kids to be more careful walking around.

Yeah, here in WI they are required to give 48 hours notice. Glad this wasn't a case like that though as they were given the notice as the op mentioned.

He somehow made a hole in his lid... i just had him in a tuperwear for now it had a special fabric covering the airholes... i have never had an issue with these containers... i will get evicted if he is found creeping elsewhere.
Sounds like operator error. Fabric will not contain a t, and t, they have fangs you know...and if they can shred wood and get through wire mesh ventilation, why would fabric stop them? The issue was that the vent holes were too large and you thought the fabric was enough....should have just moved it to something with proper ventilation instead of trying to rig something up to "make due".

OBT's produce around 4mg of venom on average (I have the paper on my laptop, but I'm at a friends atm). Unless the OP has a newborn baby, he doesn't have anything to worry about in that regard.
Just because its not deadly, doesn't mean its not dangerous, and for a kid, an obt is certainly a danger...its not a mosquito, that thing tags a kid and they will be on the way to see a doctor....I can only imagine the crying you would hear from a child.

That's like saying hey, leave that nail sticking out of the ground, its not like it will kill anyone...nope, but it will hurt like hell if it gets stepped on (albeit probably less than an OBT bite)....so logically we remove the nail, because even though its not in its self deadly, its definitely a hazard and potential danger that could lead to a hospital visit and lots of pain...the OBT here is that nail.

It's A tarantula not a chupacabra...Calm down peeps..

Chances of killing it with bug spray are equal to cleaning up and finding it or bombing the place just to find out that it already escaped into.a neighboring apartment..

Block the cracks under all the doors and start digging you have T to find..
And with the thick web tubes they can create in no time, they could probably be pretty well protected.

Doors are an issue, as they op wasn't home for x amount of days, in which time, that could have scooted out the door and be anywhere. I had a rosea escape many years back, and found her fat butt behind a door that didn't look like it had nearly enough room for her to get beneath, yet she did...an OBT will be even more likely to slip through tight places and move 10 times faster when t does. Heck, I'm gonna go check my neighborhood, that thing could be in WI by now.:rolleyes:

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
Just because its not deadly, doesn't mean its not dangerous, and for a kid, an obt is certainly a danger...its not a mosquito, that thing tags a kid and they will be on the way to see a doctor....I can only imagine the crying you would hear from a child.

That's like saying hey, leave that nail sticking out of the ground, its not like it will kill anyone...nope, but it will hurt like hell if it gets stepped on (albeit probably less than an OBT bite).
Hence why I said they have nothing to worry about with regards to death. But it will still be painful...:bookworm:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah ah, imagine if the landlord would had bitten by a flying 'OBT' from the ceiling. Such a good inspection. Next time what, land mines under the carpets? Uh uh a truly 'The Addams Family' inspection :)

Kymura

Arachnoknight
totally agree I have a licence to carry concealed. Just about have to be willing to protect yourself with the way the worlds going.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
OBT's produce around 4mg of venom on average (I have the paper on my laptop, but I'm at a friends atm). Unless the OP has a newborn baby, he doesn't have anything to worry about in that regard.
you'd still feel like shite if your kid got bit. not worth it just because it cant kill anyone.