Least favorite tarantula species

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I am still waiting to determine how many Goddesses I have among my four small ones. They have moulted once during my care, but they are still way too small to sex. With their growth rate, it´s a bit like waiting for Godot.
I wish you a poker of Goddess my friend :)

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use to say that I didn't care for arboreals. Then, a couple of master enablers got to me. I now have several permanent resident arboreals in my collection.

I use to say that I would never have any of the Theraphosa genus. Just not attractive to me. Then I ended up raising a stirmi sling. I was very sad when she died after a bad molt. With proper precautions, the hairs were a non issue.

I've kept dwarf species before. Ended up trading them. Each species is beautiful in its own right, I just like the bigger spiders.

All you rosea/porteri haters- my two must be atypical. One of them is always busy doing something. "Grandma" doesn't eat very often, but the youngster has yet to turn down any of her monthly meals.

I'm hesitant to name any 'least favorite'. Seems a guaranteed way for me to end up with one, or more. Lol And I'm trying to pare down my collection.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Poecilotheria metallica. I don't think I will ever own one, their screaming colours just don't appeal to me. I like most spiders that are popular in the hobby, and have several, but not this one. Not sure about the entire genus, occasionally I see a pic of a regalis or ornata, and I think they look nice, but I like the more subtle beauty of my T.violaceus or P.pulcher.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I've really never been interested in obligate burrowers (ducks @Chris LXXIX 's punch). They just don't appeal to me...I can respect them as very interesting animals with some very interesting habits but keeping them just isn't for me. I'm much more of an arboreal fan.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
None. I just hope I am not their least favorite.....Whats on the menu tonight? Crickets again. Waaa Hoooo!

I have tried to learn everything possible before each purchase and have successfully avoided the ones where I am not a fit for them at this point in my life and experience (high venom potency and extreme care requirements).

Poecilotheria metallica. I don't think I will ever own one, their screaming colours just don't appeal to me. I like most spiders that are popular in the hobby, and have several, but not this one. Not sure about the entire genus, occasionally I see a pic of a regalis or ornata, and I think they look nice, but I like the more subtle beauty of my T.violaceus or P.pulcher.
I agree with you about T.violaceus or P.pulcher. In fact I love everything I have gotten so far in the Psalm's and Tapi's. It isn't the colors for any Poecilotheria for me, but more about my skill not being ready for highly potent T's. I just don't see the need to go there with all of the NW arboreal choices available.

G. rosea or B. smithi. Nothing against them as tarantulas, but the rosea are a dime a dozen in the hobby and i don't understand the continuing hype behind the smithi.
B. Smithi is probably over-hyped but that shouldn't sway you against them by itself. I know I didn't understand the love for them when I first started this hobby. Then I got a 5" adult (rescued it from Petco). It is a favorite of mine now. I still need to determine sex for it and hope it is a female so I can enjoy it for quite a few more years. It doesn't bulldoze or move around a lot. But mine puts on a show eating live crickets every week and is a real beauty on display right out in the middle of the container almost 24/7. It only goes to the hide to eat. Mine has never thrown hairs.

EDIT* Small Pic is my current avatar

Last edited by a moderator:

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia and Poecilotheria are seriously two genus I'm not even interested a bit. Never was, since '92 when I started. Traded a juve A.avicularia back then not even after three months.

Striking colors, no matter, anyway.

I'm an hardcore fan of OW obligate burrowers and NW so called "intermediate" T's like genus Ephebopus, Megaphobema, 'Phamps' and such. Genus Psalmopoeus for life when it comes to arboreals.

Basically I have (now, I mean, not when I started) among my collection, a couple of females (plus a G.rosea sling) 'Grammo/Brachy' due to rescue from annoyed owners or thanks to those fellas screaming anti-spiders Ladies u_u

and an old like hell B.albopilosum grumpy witch that I love. I suppose she's 13 or 14, mah I don't even remember... too much T's "under the bridge" :)
Seriously?

G. rosea or B. smithi. Nothing against them as tarantulas, but the rosea are a dime a dozen in the hobby and i don't understand the continuing hype behind the smithi.
It's the striking colors, if your confused about that hype.

Probably Avicularia spp., I don't know why but they don't interest me tiniest bit, i have kept them but... i dunno
Again, seriously?

It's a trick question. If your answer was anything but "I don't have a LEAST favorite", then you failed :p

I think we have a "hipster" T collecter here^^^ :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I think we have a "hipster" T collecter here^^^ :eek:
Lol, not at all. Like i posted, I have many tarantula that are hobbyists favorite. B.smithi, A.metallica, A.versicolor, B.albopilosum and E.sp.Red. So...not hipster at all ;)

Bugmom

Arachnolord
Theraphosas. Dealing with terrible hairs for a brown drab looking spider doesn't appeal to me. There's so many more beautiful spiders that get large like Pamphobeteus that interest me much more.
Completely agree. I think they are just so ugly, and the care requirements for an ill-tempered, ugly spider that will leave me itchy just isn't worth it to me.

I also have very little interest in Poecilotheria as a whole, in terms of keeping them for myself. I'll breed them since there's plenty of other people that like them, and they're not THAT hard to keep IMO. But I don't feel a desire to purchase more for my personal collection.

B. smithi is okay, yeah they're pretty but I think my B. baumgarteni is prettier.

Euathlus and Avicularia are nice to look at, but it seems like as adults, they all look so similar that I have trouble telling them apart.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I think G. porteri is pretty, especially with that shimmery pink carapace. It's just a more subtle, refined sort of beauty than it is with the gaudier species if you must know :p Don't be hatin'!

As for my least favorite, I've never owned one but it'd probably be a Theraphosa due to the setae and the extra effort required in having a super humid cage. I shudder even just thinking about that constant battle against mold and mites.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Lol, not at all. Like i posted, I have many tarantula that are hobbyists favorite. B.smithi, A.metallica, A.versicolor, B.albopilosum and E.sp.Red. So...not hipster at all ;)
As if versicolor don't have screaming colors. Or A. metallica (the white tipped hairs are pretty gaudy in their own way, imho, I will have one again some day though!). I don't buy your reason, Ms. Hipster ;) :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
As if versicolor don't have screaming colors. Or A. metallica (the white tipped hairs are pretty gaudy in their own way, imho, I will have one again some day though!). I don't buy your reason, Ms. Hipster ;) :)
I knew someone would come and bite me in the rear about that, :D
A.versicolor is like a waterpainting, blended splashes of color, seamlessly going from one colour to the next. P.metallica is like a harsh oilpainting.
It is the combination of colours on a P.metallica. Blue against yellow, don't like that combo. A.metallica has blue with white tipped legs, true, but still a far more subtle combination.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
This is hard for me as I honestly love all of mine. I have a couple that are more my favorites but none I dislike.
I'm assuming I wouldn't enjoy obligate borrowers as I like to see my T's. But than again I only see my OBT every month or so and that's always a treat.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
....... Euathlus and Avicularia are nice to look at, but it seems like as adults, they all look so similar that I have trouble telling them apart.
I think everybody struggles with certain ones.

Your comment reminded me of a struggle that I have got. I currently don't own any Pamphobeteus, but actually would like to acquire something in this genus. But every time I start looking at adult female pictures, I can't seem to separate them enough to pick one easily (that is also available). I then give up and move on.... But it is on my "want" rather than "not want" list.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I mentally went through all 33 I have at home, just got six more today so no comment on them (Avics and a Tappie, I have other species of both genera), and I can't think of a least favorite lol. I guess it would be the ones I rarely see like my Orphnaecus sp blue sling but even then I can usually catch it chilling on top of its volcano mind. I don't really have favorites of anything, just depends on my mood.

Seriously. I have no interest in poop snipers ('Avics') nor "run & hide" T's ('Pokies').
Not sure how you can use "run and hide" as the reason to dislike pokies while saying you enjoy your burrowers lol :D

Although my 6" regalis often stays put and my near 6" ornata has moments where it refuses to move even from blowing and tapping when I need to open the cage to feed it. I think it's a size thing, my other pokes are a few inches smaller or slings. I don't have enough burrowers to do a fair comparison atm. I think most of my collection is arboreal...or confused about what they are lol

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not sure how you can use "run and hide" as the reason to dislike pokies while saying you enjoy your burrowers lol :D
I like Theraphosidae with attitude, that's all. I doubt that a H.hainanum possess the same "shy" (let's not count the potent venom) behavior of a P.metallica. And so forth.

Nothing to say about those two genus (Avicularia and Poecilotheria) colors, but the standards I want are others.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I knew someone would come and bite me in the rear about that, :D
A.versicolor is like a waterpainting, blended splashes of color, seamlessly going from one colour to the next. P.metallica is like a harsh oilpainting.
It is the combination of colours on a P.metallica. Blue against yellow, don't like that combo. A.metallica has blue with white tipped legs, true, but still a far more subtle combination.
Lol. I can buy that explanation :) Although I find my versi slings to be high contrast. Maybe one day they'll have adult colors lol. Bought them around 1/2" over a year ago, last August. Still under 1.5"...